Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

I had been suspicious because TS did not state his case clearly and did not categorically state on this issue. And to me it is highly unusual for an AD to issue a letter disclaiming liabilities unless it has a strong case of owner abuse, with evidence. It would look bad and lose credibility as it could easily be construed by general consumer as an admission of incompetence in solving problems on its products. Very suicidal I would think.

So what I hope is for TS to make enough noise to create some publicity and we then get to hear the story from C&C, then I will decide for myself who is at fault. If TS is as innocent as he claimed with his side of story, he definitely has my utmost sympathy for the trouble he is going through. But at the same time, I do not think it is a common issue over here as Mercedes batteries are famous for being long lasting and never hear much at all about its cars having electrical issues, lets not cast stones and make it like many Mercedes over here is all like that haha.

It is either varta or bosch lo.  Go outside to get the same battery.  Does Merc need to reset battery counter?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

I had been suspicious because TS did not state his case clearly and did not categorically state on this issue. And to me it is highly unusual for an AD to issue a letter disclaiming liabilities unless it has a strong case of owner abuse, with evidence. It would look bad and lose credibility as it could easily be construed by general consumer as an admission of incompetence in solving problems on its products. Very suicidal I would think.

So what I hope is for TS to make enough noise to create some publicity and we then get to hear the story from C&C, then I will decide for myself who is at fault. If TS is as innocent as he claimed with his side of story, he definitely has my utmost sympathy for the trouble he is going through. But at the same time, I do not think it is a common issue over here as Mercedes batteries are famous for being long lasting and never hear much at all about its cars having electrical issues, lets not cast stones and make it like many Mercedes over here is all like that haha.

This is definitely an isolated case but can see how frustrated TS is. It is not a bettery issue, it is something that is draining off the battery. By the way there is no such thing call Mercedes battery, Daimler OEM from battery manufacturers like varta or Bosch. mine has the Mercedes lable on it but it has the Bosch logo as well. Edited by Ct3833

It is either varta or bosch lo.  Go outside to get the same battery.  Does Merc need to reset battery counter?

Yes, and that was what I had done happily saving that $150.

Actually owning a Mercedes is quite a hassle as there are so many things to learn or relearn. Now what is a battery counter for? Never heard of it all my life and years of professional electronic/electrical engineering experience.

This is definitely an isolated case but can see how frustrated TS is. It is not a bettery issue, it is something that is draining off the battery. By the way there is no such thing call Mercedes battery, Daimler OEM from battery manufacturers like varta or Bosch. mine has the Mercedes lable on it but it has the Bosch logo as well.

As what I have posted earlier. I got mine from Chip Soon last year. No Mercedes sticker but exact same model as in the bonnet of my the other car. The sticker itself cost about $150 haha.

• Praise 1

Yes, and that was what I had done happily saving that $150.

Actually owning a Mercedes is quite a hassle as there are so many things to learn or relearn. Now what is a battery counter for? Never heard of it all my life and years of professional electronic/electrical engineering experience.

Sorry ho.  Every new car also need to unlearn and relearn.  Unless you buy Toyota Corolla Axio.

New/FL Merc even comes with a 48v electrical system.

By the way, you haven't heard before smart car battery charging tool?

Sorry ho.  Every new car also need to unlearn and relearn.  Unless you buy Toyota Corolla Axio.

New/FL Merc even comes with a 48v electrical system.

By the way, you haven't heard before smart car battery charging tool?

For general jap/kor rides not so much to learn as opposed to conti rides lah. I really hated it with VW cars with regards to how to lift the wipers to clean them.

Ok the 48v electrical system also never heard before, as most cars are of 12/24v depend on region, and some also come with 100/200v outlet for accessories. The newer/better rides come with wireless charging for mobile devices, is that what you meant?

Anyway I not atas, so no need to learn all these lah.

• Praise 1

For general jap/kor rides not so much to learn as opposed to conti rides lah. I really hated it with VW cars with regards to how to lift the wipers to clean them.

Ok the 48v electrical system also never heard before, as most cars are of 12/24v depend on region, and some also come with 100/200v outlet for accessories. The newer/better rides come with wireless charging for mobile devices, is that what you meant?

Anyway I not atas, so no need to learn all these lah.

No lah the 48V is a mini hybrid that boost acceleration etc

The new C200 is actually 1.5L that pairs with the 48V hybrid

Supersonic
(edited)

I fully agree with you. The least they should do is not to profit from this a second time. They told me listed new car price, so that's even before whatever overtrade, financing offer that they usually give to customers. Not forgetting their fat margin. Their reason being that if I sell the car in the market, i will fetch lower price than straight line depreciation. In the first place, I wouldn't have to get rid of the car if it is not a lemon. They also refused to give me their proposed numbers in black and white but only verbally.

To your knowledge regarding their service menu, they had indeed pulled out one item at a time to check voltage. They had completed that and still couldn't identify the problem. Now they have installed some tracker and request to keep my car for another week, ie, 4 weeks in total. All these with no compensation, only a replacement car that's older than my car. So I still have not gotten my car back after 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Have you explored legal recourse under our much publicised and ballyhoo-ed lemon laws?

I know one guy who has forsworn off Mercs because of a bad experience with a lemon E55 AMG. He says he took Cycle to court and they settled.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)

Aiyo. How difficult is it to track down a current drain? One word of c&c techs, no skill.

i thought mercedes engineers from germany would want to know how to prevent such unwanted power drain on battery for their future cars.

Edited by Tanhangkiang
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Have you explored legal recourse under our much publicised and ballyhoo-ed lemon laws?

I know one guy who has forsworn off Mercs because of a bad experience with a lemon E55 AMG. He says he took Cycle to court and they settled.

Unless one gives cycle long enough time to troubleshoot the problem, otherwise one would not win the case as long as cycle could prove that they have spent time and given reasonable committment to resolve the problem. Moreove, they also have given him a courtesy car to drive. Cycle has offered TS to exchange new car at 50k top up, they did not deny the problem. Whether 50k is fair is subjective, cycle would have their way to explain why 50k is fair from commercial point of view. Chances of TS winning the case may not be high, at best he gets a better discount but wont get a new replacement car with no top up. He needs to weigh if that is worth the effort and money. I would think bringing them to court is only a last resort.

So how much does a similar varta or Bosch battery cost?

I replaced a Bosch one outside last year, if I remember correctly, it was $280. Edited by Ct3833

Twincharged

Unless one gives cycle long enough time to troubleshoot the problem, otherwise one would not win the case as long as cycle could prove that they have spent time and given reasonable committment to resolve the problem. Moreove, they also have given him a courtesy car to drive. Cycle has offered TS to exchange new car at 50k top up, they did not deny the problem. Whether 50k is fair is subjective, cycle would have their way to explain why 50k is fair from commercial point of view. Chances of TS winning the case may not be high, at best he gets a better discount but wont get a new replacement car with no top up. He needs to weigh if that is worth the effort and money. I would think bringing them to court is only a last resort.

I replaced a Bosch one outside last year, if I remember correctly, it was $280.

Is the Bosch also AGM? Cause merc orig batts are AGM.
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Is the Bosch also AGM? Cause merc orig batts are AGM.

Thanks for asking, something new to learn. I open up the battery cover , so pai seh, it is a Varta silver dynamic, my age is causing more and more damage to may memory cells.

And yes it is an AGM battery. But my understanding of AGM is more to overcome acid leakage problem, is it really important to have an AGM in a Merce ? Thanks in advance.

Twincharged

Thanks for asking, something new to learn. I open up the battery cover , so pai seh, it is a Varta silver dynamic, my age is causing more and more damage to may memory cells.

And yes it is an AGM battery. But my understanding of AGM is more to overcome acid leakage problem, is it really important to have an AGM in a Merce ? Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the newer merc. The older ones don’t have a battery monitor like what bmw has which one has to input the type and newness of the battery so that the charging can be managed. The idea is to save the battery as well as reduce fuel consumption by only giving just enough charging to the battery.

AGM battery usually last longer as the acid does not evaporate and as you mentioned reduces spillage. It also has much reduced gassing vs lead acids, Which is why it is boot placement is allowed. Else the AGM, doesn’t have a huge benefit over the normal lead acids.

If the prices are not too different then AGM is preferred. The prices of AGM has come down drastically over the last 10years. Make sense to go for it now.

(edited)

2 weeks ago, car key decided to go for a swim in the washing machine.

surprising it works after i cleaned it but received this message 

post-310040-0-64169500-1559456377_thumb.jpg

it shows car key is more durable than the battery  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Edited by peasant
  • Praise 5

No lah the 48V is a mini hybrid that boost acceleration etc

The new C200 is actually 1.5L that pairs with the 48V hybrid

For Merc, it's mild hybrid.

For other, it is not.

(edited)

2 weeks ago, car key decided to go for a swim in the washing machine.

surprising it works after i cleaned it but received this message

IMG_1199.JPG

it shows car key is more durable than the battery [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Maybe the battery was dislodged? Edited by therock

Supersonic

Not sure about the newer merc. The older ones donât have a battery monitor like what bmw has which one has to input the type and newness of the battery so that the charging can be managed. The idea is to save the battery as well as reduce fuel consumption by only giving just enough charging to the battery.

AGM battery usually last longer as the acid does not evaporate and as you mentioned reduces spillage. It also has much reduced gassing vs lead acids, Which is why it is boot placement is allowed. Else the AGM, doesnât have a huge benefit over the normal lead acids.

If the prices are not too different then AGM is preferred. The prices of AGM has come down drastically over the last 10years. Make sense to go for it now.

My is old car, no stat/stop, so battery demand is not high i guess.

Even the older model like w212 also have a screen to show battery voltage , just need to put the key to position 2 and press the clock button for 3 or 5 sec. For w212, it is accessed by pressing both ok and speaker buttons on the steering wheel when key is inserted and put to position 2......if my memory still serves me well.

↡ Advertisement