Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

I am asking about battery change for the internal TPMS sensors. Am thinking to change it as typically aftermarket sensors need to replace batteries every 2 to 3 years. So I am thinking to time it with the tyre change to save some hassle. Then I read that the TPMS sensor for Mercedes are non serviceable type - meaning cannot replace battery one. Would need to discard whole sensor and buy new ones. This is significantly more costly than just replacing batteries. So I would like to ask the existing owners if true. But I am not too optimistic about feedbacks as owners like you replace cars every 2 years so might not know haha.

It's true that I sold my GT within 2 years, so I may not be the best person for advice, but are you sure this is even an issue worth worrying about? Did anyone with knowledge of the TPMS tell you they need to have a battery change or replacement or, well, anything? Are you sure they don't have years of life left in them?

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

57 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

It's true that I sold my GT within 2 years, so I may not be the best person for advice, but are you sure this is even an issue worth worrying about? Did anyone with knowledge of the TPMS tell you they need to have a battery change or replacement or, well, anything? Are you sure they don't have years of life left in them?

Ok typical TPMS need to change batteries every 2 years or so, be it internal or external type. I ask because I got my car used and never ask previous owner when he last changed it, so I do not want to be caught in a situation where need to replace its batteries just after I change tyres. So I checked around, then I read that for Mercedes car need to change whole sensor as not serviceable. So I posted it here to get some answers.

Anyway I just got the answer from my workshop contact. Indeed it is not serviceable, need to replace whole module. Total 4 sensors would cost about $800! If do in AD workshop would be more to much more definitely. I can only say Mercedes cars really atas.

And this is for the lowly B180. Higher grade Mercedes might cost more.

Edited by Heartlander
Added last paragraph

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

I am asking about battery change for the internal TPMS sensors. Am thinking to change it as typically aftermarket sensors need to replace batteries every 2 to 3 years. So I am thinking to time it with the tyre change to save some hassle. Then I read that the TPMS sensor for Mercedes are non serviceable type - meaning cannot replace battery one. Would need to discard whole sensor and buy new ones. This is significantly more costly than just replacing batteries. So I would like to ask the existing owners if true. But I am not too optimistic about feedbacks as owners like you replace cars every 2 years so might not know haha.

I am driving a E250 and not aware of such "batteries" other than the main battery and a smaller one meant for the start/stop function which should cost no more than $350 and $180 respectively if replaced at a workshop like Chip Soon. The only brake related sensor i am aware of, cost no more than $8 per sensor.

Your B180 so complex?

Edited by Nav14

5 minutes ago, Nav14 said:

Only aware of 2 batteries in a merc in the standard merc up to E class.. One main battery and one mainly for start/stop function.

What is TPMS ? Tyre change and sensor can only refer to the sensory wire for brake pads which  cost no more than $8 per sensory wire.

TPMS = Tyre Pressure Monitoring System. If your Merc is newer ones, mine is 2015, it should come with this feature that allows you to see your tyre pressure through dashboard display. There will be 4 internal tyre pressure sensors in the wheels, which can last a few years as self powered. But not many know that they are not serviceable, like me haha. And it is expensive!

My quote is through Chip Soon. C&C should cost much more.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 1

31 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Ok typical TPMS need to change batteries every 2 years or so, be it internal or external type. I ask because I got my car used and never ask previous owner when he last changed it, so I do not want to be caught in a situation where need to replace its batteries just after I change tyres. So I checked around, then I read that for Mercedes car need to change whole sensor as not serviceable. So I posted it here to get some answers.

Anyway I just got the answer from my workshop contact. Indeed it is not serviceable, need to replace whole module. Total 4 sensors would cost about $800! If do in AD workshop would be more to much more definitely. I can only say Mercedes cars really atas.

And this is for the lowly B180. Higher grade Mercedes might cost more.

OK, let's say you're right. Or that the workshop is giving you reliable info. Remember that it's in the interests of any workshop or parts supplier to agree with you if you start worrying about whether this or that needs to be changed. As an example, I had my M5's DCT fluid changed for piece of mind, even though it's supposed to be a "lifetime" component according to the AD and BMW themselves. But online forums and pro mechs and worried M car owners in Singapore were all in agreement that it's a "better safe than sorry" sort of thing. The 3rd party workshop never argued with me, they were quite happy to do it, and they did a proper job, no complaints. The same sort of thing happens when people service their cars every 5k km rather than the more usual 10 to 15k interval recommended by most German manufacturers. 

And then there are those who tell you you should change everything pre-emptively, even key fob batteries. Just in case costly "re-coding" is necessary if you let the batteries go completely dead. 

What I'm trying to say is that in your place, I would just have let the TPMS soldier on and see how much life it had left. If it died soon thereafter, no biggie, if the replacement cost close to a grand, you wouldn't have saved much doing it with the tyre change anyway, so what did you lose? And it might have surprised you. Basic mantra: don't try to fix what ain't broken, especially for a non-critical non-wear part. 

And if you think these bills are "atas", I don't want to scare you with the preventive maintenance I pay for my current car lol.

• Praise 7

5 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

OK, let's say you're right. Or that the workshop is giving you reliable info. Remember that it's in the interests of any workshop or parts supplier to agree with you if you start worrying about whether this or that needs to be changed. As an example, I had my M5's DCT fluid changed for piece of mind, even though it's supposed to be a "lifetime" component according to the AD and BMW themselves. But online forums and pro mechs and worried M car owners in Singapore were all in agreement that it's a "better safe than sorry" sort of thing. The 3rd party workshop never argued with me, they were quite happy to do it, and they did a proper job, no complaints. The same sort of thing happens when people service their cars every 5k km rather than the more usual 10 to 15k interval recommended by most German manufacturers. 

And then there are those who tell you you should change everything pre-emptively, even key fob batteries. Just in case costly "re-coding" is necessary if you let the batteries go completely dead. 

What I'm trying to say is that in your place, I would just have let the TPMS soldier on and see how much life it had left. If it died soon thereafter, no biggie, if the replacement cost close to a grand, you wouldn't have saved much doing it with the tyre change anyway, so what did you lose? And it might have surprised you. Basic mantra: don't try to fix what ain't broken, especially for a non-critical non-wear part. 

And if you think these bills are "atas", I don't want to scare you with the preventive maintenance I pay for my current car lol.

I on the same page as you on this. Online mentioned 4 to 6 years, 7 years also have. My intention here is to get feedback from current owners on actual usage and experience. But I not so hopeful as I know most owners change rides every few years, so most likely do not know at all.

Actually I quite curious how much you paying to service your atas ride. Just the most expensive interval will do if you can oblige. I do not know many atas people.

FYI bro 

your w246 has only been around since end 2011 

has other Merc owners had to face a change?

if not, then keep calm and carry on 👍 

13 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I on the same page as you on this. Online mentioned 4 to 6 years, 7 years also have. My intention here is to get feedback from current owners on actual usage and experience. But I not so hopeful as I know most owners change rides every few years, so most likely do not know at all.

Actually I quite curious how much you paying to service your atas ride. Just the most expensive interval will do if you can oblige. I do not know many atas people.

I don't consider myself atas in any way, shape or form. 

But since you asked about service costs, last service at McLaren in March this year was 3100 before GST. I also bought 2 years warranty cover at 13k before GST (one year would've been 6800 so less lugi since I love the car and intend to keep it). 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

I've never been concerned with this feature; this is probably the least of any issue. Useful though, as a warning came on recently due to a `leak' on one of the tyres.

Just go check and pump the tyres weekly and save the $800.

3 minutes ago, therock said:

FYI bro 

your w246 has only been around since end 2011 

has other Merc owners had to face a change?

if not, then keep calm and carry on 👍 

Maybe I should have created another thread to get more response but I lazy lah.

Seems not many people here know about this TPMS thingy or have much experience replacing it, or some just pay for it without asking haha. 

Not a deal breaker, just preparing to foot this if driving it to 10th year.

I would leave it and fix it when the battery runs out. Labour to replace the the sensor would not be that ex anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Seems not many people here know about this TPMS thingy or have much experience replacing it, or some just pay for it without asking haha. 

agree with other bros here that this should be least of your worries

Drive it till it is needed

It can be irritating when it does not sense well or becomes super sensitive

The warning sign will keep popping up on off , pump one tyre, another tyre gets the sign, like musical chairs 

• Praise 2

18 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I don't consider myself atas in any way, shape or form. 

But since you asked about service costs, last service at McLaren in March this year was 3100 before GST. I also bought 2 years warranty cover at 13k before GST (one year would've been 6800 so less lugi since I love the car and intend to keep it). 

3100 for major servicing is cheap

Jap makes can cost more than this at AD for major servicing

• Praise 3

I think one disadvantage if one regards it as so is that Merc cars cost more to service than say a Toyota

but they are already amongst the cheapest of the premium brands 

see the list of workshops 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, car50 said:

3100 for major servicing is cheap

Jap makes can cost more than this at AD for major servicing

Actually my bad, I'd excluded the gearbox service. 

Total of oil plus transmission and clutch fluid and miscellaneous crap came to 4760 before GST (about 5092 after GST). 

If really cheaper than Jap makes, that's good to know but let me know which make and model so I can avoid. Thanks in advance. 

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Heartlander said:

I just had a tyre leak a few days back and the TPMS popped up on my dashboard.  Certainly a useful feature to have.  I drove to the merc centre and had it fixed for $10 and took the opportunity to rotate my tyres at the same time. If you are concerned about the high cost of replacing the TPMS when the car is 6-7 years old, consider switching to non-run flat tyres (which will be cheaper than run flat) and put in a tyre repair kit in the boot and/or have your AA membership for service on call. 

39 minutes ago, Halo said:

I just had a tyre leak a few days back and the TPMS popped up on my dashboard.  Certainly a useful feature to have.  I drove to the merc centre and had it fixed for $10 and took the opportunity to rotate my tyres at the same time. If you are concerned about the high cost of replacing the TPMS when the car is 6-7 years old, consider switching to non-run flat tyres (which will be cheaper than run flat) and put in a tyre repair kit in the boot and/or have your AA membership for service on call. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. This feature has also alerted me of a punctured tyre awhile ago, certainly find it useful.

My surprise was more on the high cost of replacement due to non-serviceability of the sensors. Coming fr jap/kor cars i had not expected it to be such. 

Good thing i came to know about it now, so less of a shock when it happen later. Just another thing to pay for.

I do not like run flat tyres option as noisier.  Worse czse would be installing 3rd party TPMS system with internal sensors and separate display unit, which will cost not more than $300. Only drawback is need to change batteries every 2 to 3 years. TPMS with external sensors are even much cheaper and can do it yourself, as done for previous Vellfire. Wait and see lah.

↡ Advertisement