Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

On 2/7/2020 at 5:47 AM, QSZA said:

We did try the second hand approach before. After driving 2008 C200 (purchased brand new from C&C) for more than 5 years, upgraded to 2008 S300L. Big mistake. Car repairs very costly, and we decided to get rid of it before the infamous ECU problem come up.

I feel for u.

The thing abt getting into a particular marque

is the familiarity ,u noe to navigate around ,especially on workshop.

There’s a few new age wshop who’s willing to try thing(s).

i noe ECU,Dey refurbish the stuff,replace a few I.C inside & viola.

likewise the airmatic,heard with a few oem Brand its not as intimating(price)as it used to be.

i even noe of a shop who can get a kit to overhaul said suspension.

Spares for merk ,price wise is quite alrite & with a few lobang for  C or S ,it’s manageable.

4 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

I feel for u.

The thing abt getting into a particular marque

is the familiarity ,u noe to navigate around ,especially on workshop.

There’s a few new age wshop who’s willing to try thing(s).

i noe ECU,Dey refurbish the stuff,replace a few I.C inside & viola.

likewise the airmatic,heard with a few oem Brand its not as intimating(price)as it used to be.

i even noe of a shop who can get a kit to overhaul said suspension.

Spares for merk ,price wise is quite alrite & with a few lobang for  C or S ,it’s manageable.

Why dun you list down the shops for our benefits?

5 hours ago, Vinceng said:

The late 70s W123 was using a 3 speed auto gearbox, and it combed thru the gears well, although gear change was jerky.

image.png.a7f92a2d41f0dd8a92aaa0d378e9f761.png

Yup

the earlier 3 speeder .

heard it’s a bit agricultural .

reckon if yours an auto ,u will walking on air,almost god like status.

In dat era,everybody is on manual ,so if u can afford an auto,either u are in talking terms with LKY or some opium dealer!

I wanted a 123 juzz bcos of my wedding foto(I’m given my age away)wans to replicate the actual scenes on my big day.

i couldn’t find one ,so I settle with a 124.

24 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

Yup

the earlier 3 speeder .

In dat era,everybody is on manual ,so if u can afford an auto,either u are in talking terms with LKY or some opium dealer!

I wanted a 123 juzz bcos of my wedding foto(I’m given my age away)wans to replicate the actual scenes on my big day.

I think the w123 you drove got a broken transmission. Even the w115 was a 4speed auto

10 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Is higher number equate to better in our driving context? I read that those Merz with 9 speed cannot achieve the highest gear in Singapore? And will not the additional complexity cause the gearbox to kaput earlier?

I would think 6  or 7 speed is enough. I rather "old tech" but tested and reliable.

Yes

Big numbers alway WINS.

big capacity ,big rims & big TITS !

It’s always good to have ,not necessary to use.

The keyword here is option.

Once ,nobody watching ,u GUN it(what a question u ask?)

Afraid mb dun do 6speed,it’s 4,5,7,9.

u can go old tech ,most mercs transmission are well develope ,the problem lies with the owner.

u must service the gearbox often ,most find it a chore & x’pensive..

Nowadays in a modern car,most components are rather mature in their life,it’s the auto box dats abit hi tech.

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I think the w123 you drove got a broken transmission. Even the w115 was a 4speed auto

Mercs model tends to overlap.

certain model oredi have 4 speed but some models still running on 3.

a classic case ?

the first W205(C) is on a 7 speeder.

wheras the first w213(E) is oredi on 9G.

Its in their DNA or was it their culture ,mercs technology 

overlap is to be x’pected.

4 hours ago, fesa7044 said:

Yup

the earlier 3 speeder .

Rare sale - very seldom is a stock W123 on sale, not on classic scheme,  and with 10 yr COE renewal.

And this one happens to be a 3 speed auto.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=873888&DL=3506

But for the asking price of $68K, I'd rather get a 2-owner facelifted W210 Kompressor with fresh 10 yr COE at $50K for more realistic comfort in the daily drive. 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=838835&DL=1000

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Rare sale - very seldom is a stock W123 on sale, not on classic scheme,  and with 10 yr COE renewal.

And this one happens to be a 3 speed auto.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=873888&DL=3506

But for the asking price of $68K, I'd rather get a 2-owner facelifted W210 Kompressor with fresh 10 yr COE at $50K for more realistic comfort in the daily drive. 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=838835&DL=1000

Whatever those dealer advertise ?

3 or 4

cannot trust,u need to go down & verify,been to a couple & question the sales ppl why dis feature dun have,,dat one also dun have?

,Dey said ,oh,the lady in the office dunno where she copy & paste from !!

Buying a merk,it’s not so much 210 is cheaper &123 cost more.

Actually buying a continental car,the passion must be there.,or else there are cheaper alternative,there must be something dat separate the man from the boys.

u must noe what u are buying.

Dats the reason u see ppl owns it for a veri very Long time,almost everybody who noes somebody who owns a Lau yeh Cher since the day of dawn.

My mscp got a uncle who owns a masterpiece ,think 1995 since NEW.

I bought a 1989 200E from sg car mart who I dun belief it’s an one owner for 29yrs!

for a moment I thought dey put the E on the wrong side ,suffix not prefix,if u noe what I’m talking about.

so u see,it’s either u are a fan of the 123 or a 210?

once u do it up,c’mon u need to,it’s oredi a couple of decades old.

actually for dis type of classic ,u need the patience & ready to get yr fingernails dirty  & a tow truck mobile number. is a must.

it will be an awesome classic & definitely a daily driver,my 124 club members,think ,most of them drives Everyday ,I’m one of the few who dun.

Oops,I do carried away.

sorri.

• Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, TheCarDealer said:

COE too high. Now buy new better.

Agreed. Many people only look at yearly depre and affordability and miss out to factor in the high COE...don’t drive just park aside the daily depre is higher than those with low COE

maybe that explained the 19k “average” mileage...need to drive more to justify the high COE 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Agreed. Many people only look at yearly depre and affordability and miss out to factor in the high COE...don’t drive just park aside the daily depre is higher than those with low COE

maybe that explained the 19k “average” mileage...need to drive more to justify the high COE 

When buying a used car, why do we need to bother about the coe price when the seller bought it?

Isn’t depre the price u pay minus scrap value? At the end of the day coe value becomes zero. The price the seller pays become irrelevant.

In fact, a higher coe car is more “value” because u r paying for something refundable should anything happen to the car, as opposed to a coe price of say 5k (this your money goes to the car and not refundable). 

• Praise 3

On 2/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, Midorima said:

When buying a used car, why do we need to bother about the coe price when the seller bought it?

Isn’t depre the price u pay minus scrap value? At the end of the day coe value becomes zero. The price the seller pays become irrelevant.

In fact, a higher coe car is more “value” because u r paying for something refundable should anything happen to the car, as opposed to a coe price of say 5k (this your money goes to the car and not refundable). 

agree with your view

would prefer high coe than low coe car for used cars 

when dereg value is close to buying price, its a safe bet

arguing the same point for new cars, one may be delighted with new car price with very low coe , but thats only good if drive till scrap. if need to sell after 5 years, the value will be very low compared to a high coe car 

eg 2013 cars at coe >90K, dereg value is very high and when need to sell after 5 years, there is a bottom for offers, compared to cars with 25k coe

• Praise 5

On 2/19/2020 at 9:00 AM, TeamAMG69 said:

alternatively you can join SGMERC telegram chat or MBOS, they also talk about Merc dynamic, etc

other car threads keep talking about COE , i have notice that in Mercs forumn topics (or chat groups) they dont talk about (very rarely) about COE,  they talk about specs more and when can take delievery, etc 

really diff level

Well my rep looks amused when I asked him about COE

he simply said “Sir, Mercedes gets their COE” 🙂

i know they about 9k more than the final closing bid.. and that’s for a brand van..

i also monitored Mercedes chats for issues and thankfully the number of posts from owners having issues seems less .. maybe not like corolla chats but way less than other premium makes :D 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1