Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

On 3/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, Theoldjaffa said:

He confirm older than you and I’m older than both of you :grin: 

Yalor...all these small boy boy batter go one corner play balls...I mean marble balls

...while we the lao lang lim kopi and laugh at each other’s yellowish dentures 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

6 minutes ago, Micstyles said:

Advise please guys, is a 2009 C180k renewed 10 years coe reliable? Good to go another 10 years? 

Why not buy one that is 9 year old, drive for a while, if reliable, renew COE yourself? If lemon, just scrap it. 

• Praise 4

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Why not buy one that is 9 year old, drive for a while, if reliable, renew COE yourself? If lemon, just scrap it. 

I would be wondering why a 9 year old merc was on the market though. Reliability issues or major maintenance needed? Unless the seller took advantage of the low COE to buy a new one and this came into the used market in a trade-in.

Edited by Turboflat4

Neutral Newbie
1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Ahh nvr thought of it that way, thanks for the tip! But in general c180k W204 reliable i guess?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I would be wondering why a 9 year old merc was on the market though. Reliability issues or major maintenance needed? Unless the seller took advantage of the low COE to buy a new one and this came into the used market in a trade-in.

People sell their cars at various age. Maybe they make some money shorting the market recently, or catch the rebound and can afford to upgrade. 

Still much less risky vs buying a COE renewed one straight in my view. Like Pak tor a while first before settling down. 

BTW I have never owned Mercs so can't comment on reliability, but may try one next. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

c class hard to say, if german made , definitely better.

if can get an all weather E Class.  Easy maintenance, parts aplenty, a lot more car for a bit more money since we are talking old ones.

• Praise 1

Chris Tan likes the C160:

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/small-is-more-2

Perpetual motion machines are improbable, as they simply defy the laws of physics. But the new Mercedes-Benz C160 comes close.

Powered by the smallest engine in a C-class range - a 1.5-litre turbo - the not-so-compact junior executive sedan coasts like no other car. Lift your foot off the pedal at 90kmh and it goes on for a good 200m before a noticeable drop in velocity sets in.

This propensity for cheating friction makes the C160 a lot more driveable than you would imagine possible for such a big car with such a small power plant.

On paper, the car is a bit of a laggard, taking more than 10 seconds to reach 100kmh. But turbocharging has endowed it with a respectable amount of low-end torque and this is its saving grace.

Indeed, driven unhurriedly, the C160 is almost indistinguishable from its 1.6-litre C180 sibling - even if we acknowledge a 27hp and 40Nm deficit in the C160 versus the C180.

But if you are in a hurry, the C160 needs to be revved to 4,000rpm or so to deliver a semblance of urgency. And it will deliver, if with a earful of engine drone.

While the C180 falls under the usually costlier Category B certificate of entitlement (COE) category, the C160 is in Cat A.

In fact, it is the only full-size rear-wheel-drive premium sedan in Cat A. It is also a car with the longest wheelbase in Cat A. As with its bigger-engined siblings, it offers plenty of space, especially in the second row and in the boot.

It also attracts the lowest road tax among all C-class cars.

It is also slightly more fuel-efficient, requiring on average 10 litres per 100km, versus 11 litres for the C180. The figure is not great among 1.5-litre cars, but quite decent for something of its size.

There is, of course, the attraction of a lower selling price. At $177,888, it is $5,000 less costly than the C180. Granted, that is not a huge difference, but mind you, the C160 comes with a comparable equipment list.

• Praise 1

(edited)

177k for C160? Can get PI C200 premium plus amg still leave with some spare change.

And >10s to 100kph, even the lorry in lane 2 will jiak it. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

177k for C160? Can get PI C200 premium plus amg still leave with some spare change.

And >10s to 100kph, even the lorry in lane 2 will jiak it. 

177k is list price, effective price should be much lower

• Praise 4

7 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Are you on The Straits Times Premium? 😁

I enjoy reading current affairs sir..

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, therock said:

I enjoy reading current affairs sir..

Next time ask you to help us copy the premium article over! 🙂

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

Next time ask you to help us copy the premium article over! 🙂

I'm not sure if there are copyright issues in copying the entire article ..

You guys are from SPH right? Any issues, or maybe the mods should do it..

Supercharged
On 4/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, therock said:

Honestly, SPH cannot afford to offend their advertisers, CnC is one of the big newspaper ad spenders.

Chris Tan I think is an honest guy, but for the bigger brands and their more important mainstream models, my observation he usually dance around the negatives. He has to keep his job mah.

• Haha! 5

Twincharged
14 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Honestly, SPH cannot afford to offend their advertisers, CnC is one of the big newspaper ad spenders.

Chris Tan I think is an honest guy, but for the bigger brands and their more important mainstream models, my observation he usually dance around the negatives. He has to keep his job mah.

same with all motor journalist around the world. else how to get cars to test. write anything bad and you are blacklisted. try reviewing a car via looking at it. 😂

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

same with all motor journalist around the world. else how to get cars to test. write anything bad and you are blacklisted. try reviewing a car via looking at it. 😂

Not everyone can be Chris Harris

↡ Advertisement