Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

12 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I only know hand-built engine will surely have a name tag of the builder who built the engine.

🤣

I hope he’s in charge of the warranty of the engine :grin: 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
28 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I hope he’s in charge of the warranty of the engine :grin: 

I dunno. So far all the engine I bought before no name tag one. Ah mao ah gao all can touch.

• Haha! 2

21 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

63, 65, GT (including 4 door) series are one man, one engine (signed individually), assembled in Affalterbach AMG only factory where they only also make the 12 cylinder engine going into Paganis if I'm not mistaken.

45 - one man, one engine (signed individually), assembled somewhere else (not Affalterbach, maybe a separate factory, I'm not sure). 

35, 43, 53 - not one man, one engine (no individual signature), made on standard assembly line next to non AMG engines.

Been out of touch for a while, hope this is accurate.

Good stuff.

keep it comming?

dis is more like it,elder statesman should lead!

If not ,why bother to log in the first place & snigger @ some of the usual.........not cheap enuff,not enuff horses,not enuff freebies.

I try to put in my 20 cents worth,always!

9 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

I try to put in my 20 cents worth,always!

I think you greatly overvalue yourself. 😂

• Haha! 2

21 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

Actually what’s the advantage of having a man assemble the engines over machine assembled ones?

juzz artisanal right?

It is not as if the man does the forging, casting, machining and making of each and every part before putting it together.

Most of the parts are still machine made and the human touch comes only in assembly, which I don’t find anything better over the conventional mass assembly by machine lines.

not being cynical or anything, juzz  genuinely interested to know.

Hand built ,like most race engines have tighter fit,closer tolerance.

For Higher horsepower naturally

give the least friction & the most even and high cylinder pressures, and perfect balance among other things when assembled.

Due to the nature of most engines, the process usually doesn't have extremely tight and precise tolerances, Dey are pretty loose.

Remember ,thing(s)happen for a reason,

yes ,probably got some marketing plot involve .

But hey,if I gonna spend a bit & BRAG,why not!

look at dis way,the fella who hand assemble yr engine probably do 5 a day & the robots next door is churning out hundreds.

Possibly more coffee break but u can’t denied the facts ,it will be more personal ,more put together Nicer engine.

Naturally ,cynical guys like u lot dun agree,u can settle for run of the mill merks engine which is not too shabby,me reckon.

4 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

Hand built ,like most race engines have tighter fit,closer tolerance.

For Higher horsepower naturally

give the least friction & the most even and high cylinder pressures, and perfect balance among other things when assembled.

Due to the nature of most engines, the process usually doesn't have extremely tight and precise tolerances, Dey are pretty loose.

Remember ,thing(s)happen for a reason,

yes ,probably got some marketing plot involve .

But hey,if I gonna spend a bit & BRAG,why not!

look at dis way,the fella who hand assemble yr engine probably do 5 a day & the robots next door is churning out hundreds.

Possibly more coffee break but u can’t denied the facts ,it will be more personal ,more put together Nicer engine.

Naturally ,cynical guys like u lot dun agree,u can settle for run of the mill merks engine which is not too shabby,me reckon.

😂

• Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

just marketing in the end. something to squeeze more money...

It’s realli for the........

•have
&

•have not

have?

let’s go for it?

have not?

exactly what u said .............

*certain thing,u dun have to open yr mouth.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:22 AM, Turboflat4 said:

You need to do a lot more reading up on "dis n dat". 

"cos" 35, 43, 53 are neither one man, one engine nor Affalterbach. 

Now "u noe".

(I already feel my IQ plummetting.)😂

Read my lip?

I say......

One man ,one engine will be the ultimate ,the next best alternative to me is brand Affalterbach .

No mention abt 35,43,,53,63,73,83 are neither one man,one engine.

My writing work......

throw u off yr chair!

On 4/20/2020 at 9:06 AM, TeamAMG69 said:

yes, i agree you never know, but to expect discount , i highly doubt it

i dont know how local market will digest this (if made in Boleh ) 

C&C - C class is SA, same for PM 3 series (prior)

but the latest 3 series - is back to Germany - any reason ?

i know Audi is made in Germany

I will b juzz happi to buy one,even a pre own one.

It doesn’t  matter where’s it from.

Affalterbach better but there again.........

1 hour ago, Colin03 said:

any feedback on the C160 happen you own or test drive

are you after the brand ? the badge of C class? or you value driving dynamics more ?

have you consider other brands - audi / bmw / jag / alfa? 

or even other Merc models - A class sedan ? CLA ?

22 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

Actually what’s the advantage of having a man assemble the engines over machine assembled ones?

juzz artisanal right?

It is not as if the man does the forging, casting, machining and making of each and every part before putting it together.

Most of the parts are still machine made and the human touch comes only in assembly, which I don’t find anything better over the conventional mass assembly by machine lines.

not being cynical or anything, juzz  genuinely interested to know.

It’s like one man one woman and you “chop” on that woman. 

Marketing gimmick maybe, to make you feel really exclusive. But it does come with it’s common fault just like those in the pre-FL and FL W212 though. There was once my entire Car and garage smelled of fuel and there was no leakage on the floor. when I send it to the Ai Mai Gum and they removed the back seat, the fuel pump sump was filled with petrol. Had to replace the entire fuel pump.

After some research, it was actually a common fault and there was even a recall in other country for it.

Well that’s one man one woman AiMaiGum for me...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Chickenfarm said:

Marketing gimmick maybe, to make you feel really exclusive. But it does come with it’s common fault just like those in the pre-FL and FL W212 though. There was once my entire Car and garage smelled of fuel and there was no leakage on the floor. when I send it to the Ai Mai Gum and they removed the back seat, the fuel pump sump was filled with petrol. Had to replace the entire fuel pump.

After some research, it was actually a common fault and there was even a recall in other country for it.

I appreciate the artisan aspect of hand built for sure. I’d prefer to own an AMG as compared to a ///M or RS.

Just that I’m curious whether a hand built engine is really better than a machine built one.

my feel is humans are prone to mood swings and lapses of concentrations as compared to machines which once calibrated properly, are more predictable and precise thus less margin of error.

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Chickenfarm said:

That’s hazardous...let alone it’s bad for health to breathe in benzene in confined space

• Haha! 1

Just now, mersaylee said:

That’s hazardous...let alone it’s bad for health to breathe in benzene in confined space

My Alfa had this problem too. 

wet wet wet

3D7F17E8-BC25-44E4-8494-75C77462B5D0.jpeg

4 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Tell me abt it...

And to compound the matter, my daughter’s car seat was planted just above it😅

Fortunately I am a non smoker and sent my car in almost instantaneously. 

• Praise 2

13 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

My Alfa had this problem too. 

wet wet wet

3D7F17E8-BC25-44E4-8494-75C77462B5D0.jpeg

Just change the whole assembly of the same rating if going aftermarket...don’t try wat epoxy cheap fix...or only some parts replacements...health and safety are more important than some bucks save...

↡ Advertisement