Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

21 minutes ago, bluebeamer said:

anyone have this issue before: the 'check engine' warning light came on. i brought to C&C and they said must change catalytic converter. i said huh the car still quite new and just serviced. then the service staff said he will override the warning light so it does not come on again. i asked so really must change and he cannot give me straight answer.

Since your car is quite new (I assume less than 3 years, so warranty is intact), its perfectly ok to demand them to change it.

Sometimes these service advisors just want to take the easy way out. 

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
6 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Exactly... N these group of people will also go on to say how hawker food tastes much better than fine dining and using the same amount of money, they can eat till vomit, sounds familiar? 😆😆😆

I find people who complains about Merc running costs high vs non premium marques forgot to also factor in other factors such as performance, comfort, safety etc.. All these don't come free, else all non-premium brands can close shop liao.

New Merc’s multibeam LED headlights (84 individually controlled LED) costs more than $4k, vs sub $1-2k of Jap LED.. How to compare Jap with Merc..  When’s dent in conti car, workshop will say that it so to get it back because too strong the steel compared to Japanese car, thin sheet of metal..😂

4 hours ago, bglong said:

New Merc’s multibeam LED headlights (84 individually controlled LED) costs more than $4k, vs sub $1-2k of Jap LED.. How to compare Jap with Merc..  When’s dent in conti car, workshop will say that it so to get it back because too strong the steel compared to Japanese car, thin sheet of metal..😂

LED is a must i find, but must say i will skip those "intelligence LED/matrix LED" , becos u pay extra just to "not shine onto oncoming vehicle" etc.

unless those LED light can dance like the S class then different..

24 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

LED is a must i find, but must say i will skip those "intelligence LED/matrix LED" , becos u pay extra just to "not shine onto oncoming vehicle" etc.

unless those LED light can dance like the S class then different..

Merc Intelligent light is quite useless in Singapore. The street lights are too bright for the high beam to be activated. When set to Auto Intelligent, you can't even turn it on manually to beam continuously at the car in front!

18 hours ago, Rickster said:

Since your car is quite new (I assume less than 3 years, so warranty is intact), its perfectly ok to demand them to change it.

Sometimes these service advisors just want to take the easy way out. 

they said catalytic converter not under warranty!

anyone got recomendation for workshop to change it?

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, bluebeamer said:

they said catalytic converter not under warranty!

anyone got recomendation for workshop to change it?

Catalytic converters should be under warranty. How can they wear out so fast. I think you need to demand. Write in to daimler Singapore and ask for official letter to show. 
that’s why I continue to say warranty in Singapore is nonsense.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all MB owners . Wanted to check.

went down to C&C today and checked out the CLA180 . 

Price I got was 154,888 (list price) 

$4000 OT

$2000 discount

$3000 servicing credits & some other small freebies . 

Assuming if one was firm to sign , how much more “discount” can u push typical for a entry level MB? 

thanks! 

Bro, you may want to check out the link in my signature... OT is how they play with discounts.

If you take their insurance and loan, you'll get more discounts / freebies too.

All the best.

Why not the A Class Sedan? IMO, it looks better...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Yeah I know OT is how they play with discount , will be taking minimum loan & insurance from them , just wonder how much more can I “squeeze” the OT 

I actually prefers the CLA to the sedan . Slopping roof line and frameless car door . 

It depends on how hungry your rep is..

new models like this won’t have so much leeway 

do test the noise levels and rear legroom so you don’t feel aggrieved

last year there was one lady poster wong ranted for a few posts about her Cla 

i guess she expected Lexus silence for opel money 😉

and do check out the opel.. less costly more car. Only thing it lacks is the merc logo.. remember it’s a Renault engine.. not that it’s bad- I drove the car and it’s decent. 

Buy it for the reasons that best suit your needs. Good luck 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Yup . Test drive it yesterday . Other then steering feeling pretty light . It’s quite a stable car overall .

coming from a civic . I am pretty happy with it . As long as I don’t have to keep going back to workshop for minor issues 

14 hours ago, VtecOnly said:

Hi all MB owners . Wanted to check.

went down to C&C today and checked out the CLA180 . 

Price I got was 154,888 (list price) 

$4000 OT

$2000 discount

$3000 servicing credits & some other small freebies . 

Assuming if one was firm to sign , how much more “discount” can u push typical for a entry level MB? 

thanks! 

So the CLA180 effectively cost $148,888? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, VtecOnly said:

Yup . Test drive it yesterday . Other then steering feeling pretty light . It’s quite a stable car overall .

coming from a civic . I am pretty happy with it . As long as I don’t have to keep going back to workshop for minor issues 

Well I drove a FD for ten years. Fun and fuss free, but even that car needs regular service and maintenance. 

I’m the sort which is used to going back to Kah motor religiously and consider that as a part of my running costs. 

Even then you’ll find the service bills to be twice or thrice that at merc. And you shouldn’t scrimp on service. Besides with say 3k of credits, you won’t need to fork out a cent for the first three years, four if nothing major needs replacement. 

Make full use of the free polish and such it’s a nice touch. 

The feels clean and smells good after every service too. 

If you’re coming from a 1.5l turbo civic then this car may feel slower but will respond well with the DCT. If you have the pedestrian 1.6 NA civic this car will feel like greased lightning.. and these cars are meant for autobahn so it will handle three digit speeds nicely even if it takes some time to get there..

just don’t expect it to feel roomy or that luxurious. For a roomy interior you’ll need to go up to the b class or glb .. 

Think Audi 3 or VW golf levels. And I find German made Mercedes cars just feel slightly better screwed together but I don’t think you can choose where your cla is made?

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I used to drive the FD1 & currently the 1.6NA . The FD was such a good car , unfortunately it was time for the scrapyard . 

the currently version civic was so bad , interior looks cheap all round , assembly is bad hence a lot of rattling sound all around the car , consistent jerking from gearbox where KM said it was normal . 

I do not really need rear spaciousness . And yes coming from a 1.6NA . The CLA is lighting quick 😂

Edited by VtecOnly

(edited)

Well that's the usual path for us MMB - Merc Marginal Buyers 🤣

we usually come from a Asian car, and have all these questions, that's why I started this thread.. I can't change the first few posts into a FAQ, so I suggest you read the entire thread..

The good news about Merc is that even if you are a MMB, you'll get your COE. And the parts are available, and many workshops can handle your car. You have a new engine, so give it a while for them to learn about it and get the needed training. In any case, the first few years, just go back to Merc while you have the warranty. 

If it's your first DCT transmission, take some time to learn about it, and also the quirks of driving one. All the best.

Oh, the coffee and sandwich isn't bad, esp at the Pandan branch... in any case, it'll beat @Jamesc's 😉 

Edited by therock
  • Haha! 2