Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

7 hours ago, therock said:

So has anyone bought the new C160?

dont be shy, we welcome all 👍 

just curious, other than AD, any PI bring in C160 ? what is the cheapest RRP ?

bought is one thing, take delievery is another, min another 2-3 months? cos AD cycle like very slow compared to PI 

based on other new car launch, AD min 4-6 months after first PI sale

↡ Advertisement

Hi Merc Owners!

I had not much experience with conti cars, only had 1.5 yrs with an 7-8yo Opel Astra and that was a bad experience. I am not a car person too.

I am thinking to try a used Mercedes as I saw that their depre can go below $7-8k for 9-12yo C Class or B-Class.

But am confused over so many variants, so I though of asking here.

Will like to seek your advice which variant to go for for a 9-12yo used mercedes C Class/B Class that won't hurt the wallet too much in terms of maintenance?

Any other insights welcome too.

For example, some said definitely need to buy at least 1.8l one as 1.6l one very sluggish. Interestingly, I saw most 1.8 ones are 12yo..

However I was reading some old write-up that the 1.8l was actually going to be removed from the lineup, so not sure if the 1.8l one still easy to find workshops to maintain?

If you have a trusted sales rep or dealer to recommend, please let me know too.

Thanks!

Hi bro

If you are going for a COE car, I'll suggest getting a C Class as a minimum, and one with the turbo instead. That older C180 is pretty solid. 

The older G1 B Class isn't in the same class (pun intended). 

Also, ask yourself, why a Merc? Is it just the three pointed star? If so, then is it all worth it? It will need more TLC and you should get to know a friendly workshop, even if you have a low mileage example. And if the mileage is too low, well... caveat emptor...

• Praise 2

On 1/31/2020 at 1:49 AM, therock said:

So has anyone bought the new C160?

dont be shy, we welcome all 👍 

Shy?

dun be,it’s a proper premium unlike their poverty package aka entry level A,B,CLA derivatives.

Was in C&C on the 4th day to buy some MB car shampoo,serious.

I was snooping around @ the shooting brake ,always fancy an estate ,station wagon or oh ,what a cool name SB !

But what short comming?

imagine a modern wheels dat dun come with rear aircon,wtf,even the cab or the grab ,come with one.

Another point of contention is the centre hump.

yes,I noe some of dis model shared the same platform but dey shouldn’t use one from a rear wheel Drive  rather from a FWD.

So a C160 wun be dat shabby.
me reckon?

20 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

Shy?

dun be,it’s a proper premium unlike their poverty package aka entry level A,B,CLA derivatives.

Was in C&C on the 4th day to buy some MB car shampoo,serious.

I was snooping around @ the shooting brake ,always fancy an estate ,station wagon or oh ,what a cool name SB !

But what short comming?

imagine a modern wheels dat dun come with rear aircon,wtf,even the cab or the grab ,come with one.

Another point of contention is the centre hump.

yes,I noe some of dis model shared the same platform but dey shouldn’t use one from a rear wheel Drive  rather from a FWD.

So a C160 wun be dat shabby.
me reckon?

You do realise that the @therockmeant absolutely no harm with his "shy" comment, right?

In contrast, it seems you have an axe to grind with regard to perceived status of the different classes in the make with loaded phrases like "poverty package". Insecure much?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

12 hours ago, OptiRed said:

Hi Merc Owners!

I had not much experience with conti cars, only had 1.5 yrs with an 7-8yo Opel Astra and that was a bad experience. I am not a car person too.

I am thinking to try a used Mercedes as I saw that their depre can go below $7-8k for 9-12yo C Class or B-Class.

Will like to seek your advice which variant to go for for a 9-12yo used mercedes C Class/B Class that won't hurt the wallet too much in terms of maintenance?

For example, some said definitely need to buy at least 1.8l one as 1.6l one very sluggish. Interestingly, I saw most 1.8 ones are 12yo..

However I was reading some old write-up that the 1.8l was actually going to be removed from the lineup, so not sure if the 1.8l one still easy to find workshops to maintain?

Thanks!

Let me chime in?

Good on ya to look in the direction of the merk.

The prestige level is juzz so overwhelming!

When comes to mercs(beside AMG) ,basically there’s 2  different models.

•front wheel drive FWD which consist of the entry level model like A,B,,CLA

•rear wheel drive RWD ,dat complete the rest C,E,S

To me a proper continental car got to be,have to be a RWD,period.

if u fancy a C ,plse read up,there’s so many models & overlap dat make u blur.

there’s 1.6,1.8 ,there’s supercharge & there’s turbo charge & more amazing dey are abt the same horses 156.

For my first MB,I specifically told by my car dealer friend to go for a 1.6.

anwae the 1.6 sc probably it’s expired now or soon but I do noe many have the coe renew cos around middle of last year it’s @ the lowest ebb @ around 31k for a B category.

So run thru car mart u can have one with new 10

year coe done up.

Naturally the last of the breed ,the face lifted w204 to give it, its proper nomenclature is the best of the bunch.

It’s 1.6 turbo charge with 7g Tronic,yes u Guess it 156 Hp but naturally it’s faster.

Actually to navigate all dis,there’s a method to all dis madness.

Try to negotiate for an inspection before signing 

on the doted line,no vicom or sta plse.try to get a wshop to inspect for u,normally abt 50-60bucks.

dats the proper way.

I bought the first C180 with a 1.6 sc engine ,5 speed then which is a fantastic car,veri refine ,quiet,comfortable,everything u x’pect from a premium car,think abt the same size as an Altis but a totally different league altogether!

U can Whassap me 96432272 if u need more info?

I’m an MB fan boy so I will help if I can.

• Praise 2

52 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

You do realise that the @therockmeant absolutely no harm with his "shy" comment, right?

In contrast, it seems you have an axe to grind with regard to perceived status of the different classes in the make with loaded phrases like "poverty package". Insecure much?

Dis poverty package phrase is taken from an Aussie motoring show,in case u dunno.

Me reckon it’s another twist to a entry level description..

Either u like it or not ,it’s a less x’pensive way to get into the premium league.

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

Let me chime in?

Good on ya to look in the direction of the merk.

The prestige level is juzz so overwhelming!

When comes to mercs(beside AMG) ,basically there’s 2  different models.

•front wheel drive FWD which consist of the entry level model like A,B,,CLA

•rear wheel drive RWD ,dat complete the rest C,E,S

To me a proper continental car got to be,have to be a RWD,period.

if u fancy a C ,plse read up,there’s so many models & overlap dat make u blur.

there’s 1.6,1.8 ,there’s supercharge & there’s turbo charge & more amazing dey are abt the same horses 156.

For my first MB,I specifically told by my car dealer friend to go for a 1.6.

anwae the 1.6 sc probably it’s expired now or soon but I do noe many have the coe renew cos around middle of last year it’s @ the lowest ebb @ around 31k for a B category.

So run thru car mart u can have one with new 10

year coe done up.

Naturally the last of the breed ,the face lifted w204 to give it, its proper nomenclature is the best of the bunch.

It’s 1.6 turbo charge with 7g Tronic,yes u Guess it 156 Hp but naturally it’s faster.

Actually to navigate all dis,there’s a method to all dis madness.

Try to negotiate for an inspection before signing 

on the doted line,no vicom or sta plse.try to get a wshop to inspect for u,normally abt 50-60bucks.

dats the proper way.

I bought the first C180 with a 1.6 sc engine ,5 speed then which is a fantastic car,veri refine ,quiet,comfortable,everything u x’pect from a premium car,think abt the same size as an Altis but a totally different league altogether!

U can Whassap me 96432272 if u need more info?

I’m an MB fan boy so I will help if I can.

Thanks much for the sharing!

I had visited Megarmart this afternoon, and interestingly, some of the sales guys and their boss quite snobbish.

Does one have to turn his nose up when selling or driving MB? lol.

I saw the 1.6l Kompressor AvantGarde version and a 1.8l Blue Efficiency model. (Was not offered to test drive as they keep asking me if I can afford it, in a manner of speaking.)

Is the 1.6 kompressor a decent variant? It is the Supercharged version right? Is it more costly for maintenance and servicing?

I did try out the cabin and realised that for the back seats, the centre hump is there, that was quite a surprise, I meant even Vios and Civic have it removed, not sure why the mighty MB cannot do it. But again, I am not a car person, there must be some other considerations.

Anyway, still looking around, it is more likely that I will go for a C180, B class is out for now. I presume C180s are all RWD?

I am also considering to get a less than 12 mo one and renew COE on my own, will that be a good move?

P.S. Curious what is your ride now too.

25 minutes ago, fesa7044 said:

Dis poverty package phrase is taken from an Aussie motoring show,in case u dunno.

Me reckon it’s another twist to a entry level description..

Either u like it or not ,it’s a less x’pensive way to get into the premium league.

Was it that idiot troll John Cadogan's show? Auto"Expert"? I don't watch him much but that sounds like the sort of thing he'd spout. He's really nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is. 

Edited by Turboflat4

17 hours ago, therock said:

RWD cars and those with AWD will always have some kind of transmission tunnel. 

Even conti fwd also have transmission tunnel but albeit smaller one

only japanese pro can make flat rear floor lol

18 hours ago, OptiRed said:

I had visited Megarmart this afternoon, and interestingly, some of the sales guys and their boss quite snobbish.

I saw the 1.6l Kompressor AvantGarde version and a 1.8l Blue Efficiency model. (Was not offered to test drive as they keep asking me if I can afford it, in a manner of speaking.)

Is the 1.6 kompressor a decent variant? It is the Supercharged version right? Is it more costly for maintenance and servicing?

I did try out the cabin and realised that for the back seats, the centre hump is there, that was quite a surprise, I meant even Vios and Civic have it removed, not sure why the mighty MB cannot do it. But again, I am not a car person, there must be some other considerations.

Anyway, still looking around, it is more likely that I will go for a C180, B class is out for now. I presume C180s are all RWD?

I am also considering to get a less than 12 mo one and renew COE on my own, will that be a good move?

Snobbish ? These sales people have the experience to sniff out the people who can afford a Mercedes and those time wasters.  If they feel that you cannot afford, they will not wanna waste time with you. 

15 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Snobbish ? These sales people have the experience to sniff out the people who can afford a Mercedes and those time wasters.  If they feel that you cannot afford, they will not wanna waste time with you. 

Bro

Sometimes, actually many times in life, the saying "你不说话,没人会当你是哑巴“  applies..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

18 hours ago, OptiRed said:

Do the same, like some in MCF. FULL CASH! I’m sure you will get their attention! 😝

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 2/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, OptiRed said:

Hi Merc Owners!

Thanks!

If possible, please try get the one with full servicing records from C&C. If the person can afford the full servicing records with C&C, my guess is that the car is less likely to be in a very bad condition. That additional premium on the car price would be insignificant if you can avoid getting a lemon.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

U nvr know

wear nice drive nice car doesnt mean will buy

wear laoya shirt doesnt mean he wont buy

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

U nvr know

wear nice drive nice car doesnt mean will buy

wear laoya shirt doesnt mean he wont buy

This is so true. And people who don't know this are morons at sales.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1