Need help on insurance !

Boonroro

Hi guys, I know this is unrelated but I need help ! I am currently working part time as a Lorry driver and accidentally damage the sign of height limit in the loading bay due to negligence. My supervisor told me that I don't have insurance cover for me after my accident as I am a part timer, And the private settlement for the sign board cost around 3600SGD and I am quite lost as I am currently just a student working part time, is there any other solution for me to resolve this ? T_T

Edited by Boonroro
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi guys, I know this is unrelated but I need help ! I am currently working part time as a Lorry driver and accidentally damage the sign of height limit in the loading bay due to negligence. My supervisor told me that I don't have insurance cover for me after my accident as I am a part timer, And the private settlement for the sign board cost around 3600SGD and I am quite lost as I am currently just a student working part time, is there any other solution for me to resolve this ? T_T

Honestly, i don't think there's any way around this. It's 100% your pasar.

Speak very humbly and sincerely to the other party regarding the private settlement and ask for a reduction in the cost. 

• Praise 1

Honestly, i don't think there's any way around this. It's 100% your pasar.

Speak very humbly and sincerely to the other party regarding the private settlement and ask for a reduction in the cost. 

why is there no way around it?

what does the supervisor mean when say there's no insurance cover? the company is letting him drive without insurance?

that's nonsense.

the lorry's commericial insurance should cover all employee of the company. full time or otherwise. especially if you are on company's business.

the supervisor is just trying to pull a fast one and save on the excess. 

• Praise 8

Actually if I am the sign owner, I will go after the company if accident vehicle belongs to the company and between company and driver, I will think company has more money.

How the company deal with the driver to recover I don't know, Also the company may go after the driver for vehicle repairs if insurance don't cover. 

• Praise 1

The lorry belongs to the company. You drove under the instructions of your company's supervisor, did you?

So, why worry? Push everything back to the company. You are just a part timer. They wanna sack you, go ahead. Why scared?

• Praise 3

It is compulsory for company to buy insurance for the vehicle and covers 3rd party claim. Some companies are pushing the responsibility to the ignorant drivers. If I were you, I will seek MOM for advice or help. And the next thing I do is to leave this company. If it cannot take care of your basic welfare, it is not the right company to work for. 

• Praise 2

simple...tell your supervisor what you just posted

that you are a student and working part time...no money to pay

where got company operate without insurance for drivers, part time or otherwise?

:D

• Praise 4

i think per singapore law that the company is liable for the employee's action provided that he's performing a function that is part of his job ( e.g driver driving a lorry) or acting on his supervisor's lawful instruction (i.e supervisor told him to delivery something using the company vehicle)

in this case. as long as he is not the one that took the lorry out for a joyride without the company's or the supervisor's expressed permission then he should be covered.

the supervisor is just trying to shift the blame to a poor kid.

My suggestion.

1. tell the loading bay owner to claim insurance against the vehicle's insurance.

2. report to MOM if the company try to play punk and deduct his salary which is unlawful.

Actually if I am the sign owner, I will go after the company if accident vehicle belongs to the company and between company and driver, I will think company has more money.

How the company deal with the driver to recover I don't know, Also the company may go after the driver for vehicle repairs if insurance don't cover. 

• Praise 1

why is there no way around it?

what does the supervisor mean when say there's no insurance cover? the company is letting him drive without insurance?

that's nonsense.

the lorry's commericial insurance should cover all employee of the company. full time or otherwise. especially if you are on company's business.

the supervisor is just trying to pull a fast one and save on the excess. 

He already said it's a private settlement liao mah.

Then it's between the Company and the signboard owner.

The lorry's insurance wasn't claimed.

Then there are 2 options,

1) Flip table and refuse to pay anything

2) Speak nicely to all parties involved 

lol

that's why you are doctor and i'm but a humble coolie.

#1 seems more up my alley.

but my take is that the supervisor is still trying to pull a fast one. 

Sounds like your company trying to con you.

Ask your supervisor that if what he claimed is true, then your company is intentionally letting it's employee (you) drive without valid insurance without telling you first. Is he ready to answer when you report this to the police?

I'm not a lawyer but this whole thing doesn't sound right.

• Praise 2

lol

that's why you are doctor and i'm but a humble coolie.

#1 seems more up my alley.

but my take is that the supervisor is still trying to pull a fast one. 

On retrospect, i agree with you guys.

TS, don't take the blame.

I'm probably colored by my experience. I was buanged by another part timer driving his company van but i think he's just going home, not doing deliveries.

I claimed insurance, then he sms me asking how come bill so large (it was just a bumper but it took the workshop 2+ days to do it, so i had a courtesy car).

The only reason i can think of that they can't claim from insurance is because you are not in their payroll   [rolleyes]  [rolleyes]

Probably just miscellaneous cash expenses in the ledger

Sometimes, even if insurance was claimed, some smelly employers will tell employees otherwise. [sly]  Not suggesting that this is the case here, but it's a common practice in the trucking/transport industry to bully their employees...

Some techniques involve delaying petty cash for payments made on behalf of company, e.g. container depot charges, etc.

were you working on behalf of company at the time of accident?

If yes, just ask the person claim from company.. they should have insurance for it.... if they do not have, likely they will still have to pay on your behalf to avoid repercussions....

and you can start look for new part time job liao....

The only reason i can think of that they can't claim from insurance is because you are not in their payroll [rolleyes][rolleyes]

if not in the payroll its wrong for the company to let him drive......what happen should he get into a very serious accident?