Jetta's fan kept running after engine shut down

Ommph

Hi,

I have a few occassions when the fan kept running after I had shut down the engine.

The first time it happened, I just turned on the engine for 1 min to shift my car. When I shut it down, I can see the fan turning. I turn on and off the engine again and it was gone.

The 2nd time happened when I was using the car battery (engine not on) to vacuum. After I shut everything down, the fan remained. After about 5 mins, it went off.

The 3rd time happened when I shut down the engine and turned it on again after 2mins. I drove it for about 100m before shutting down. The fan remained and I had to restart the engine and shut down again.

Anyone had similar experience? Is this normal? My MK6 Jetta is the non-sport version.

↡ Advertisement

Definitely not normal. Engine not on and the fan keeps running. The fan relay switch linked to the coolant temp must have conked. Either that or the coolant temp sensor got issue. Got diagnostic tool to check? Have you Google and see whether it's a common issue?

Unfortunately, I don't have the diagnostics tool to check.

I have googled it but don't have much on 1.4TSI.

Initially, I thought it was the after run coolant pump but I am not sure if this model even has this.

Maybe it is time to visit the workshop.

Hi,

I have a few occassions when the fan kept running after I had shut down the engine.

The first time it happened, I just turned on the engine for 1 min to shift my car. When I shut it down, I can see the fan turning. I turn on and off the engine again and it was gone.

The 2nd time happened when I was using the car battery (engine not on) to vacuum. After I shut everything down, the fan remained. After about 5 mins, it went off.

The 3rd time happened when I shut down the engine and turned it on again after 2mins. I drove it for about 100m before shutting down. The fan remained and I had to restart the engine and shut down again.

Anyone had similar experience? Is this normal? My MK6 Jetta is the non-sport version.

This is likely to be a delayed shutoff to cool the coolants and oils.

Your car has a turbocharger and the engine oil is used to cool it. Without which, your oil will be quickly cooked.

But it may also be due to faulty sensors making it kick in too regularly. Do have it checked as a precaution

This is likely to be a delayed shutoff to cool the coolants and oils.

Your car has a turbocharger and the engine oil is used to cool it. Without which, your oil will be quickly cooked.

But it may also be due to faulty sensors making it kick in too regularly. Do have it checked as a precaution

My thoughts the same

• Praise 3

Hi,

the fan will run for awhile if the engine temp is still too high. But not 5min that much . 

• Praise 4

there is nothing wrong with your car, all current Jetta have a cooling system that will cool down your engine to a proper temperature before turning off the fan.  Our hot climate keeps the fan running for longer period.

its normal.

normal, my golf 6's fan still runs after i shut the engine off (it sounds like the car is still on)

it goes away after a 45 seconds or so

↡ Advertisement