<Bloomberg News Leak> SPH Retrenchment Coming

Jellandross

https://www.facebook.com/todayonline/posts/10155491682642572

Quote:

If journalism in Singapore fails because of a lack of financial support from readers, it is Singaporeans who ultimately end up the poorer for it.

Access to news and information is crucial to the development of an informed citizenry. News provides us with facts and different perspectives, critical for an increasingly diverse polity and complex world. Studies by researchers have shown that informed citizens are “better citizens”. They are more likely to participate in politics and more knowledgeable on political issues.

wah lau... the commentary are better than the articles from our SPH for finding the truth. If so called "journalist" still don't know why no one supports them. Then really.... shut down SPH, or even ALL replaced with cheaperer fasterer betterer FTs will make a difference???

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2017/12/19/singapores-government-embroiled-in-domestic-crisis-management/

have the decency to write something of analytical quality like this when needed instead of AHTC (even then totally twisted) all the time, and people will recognise value to society.

Bunch of totally lost souls...... 

Singapore journalism has never been 'real' journalism in the strictest sense of the word. The media in Singapore is meant to be for 'nation-building' (LKY's exact words). Make what of that you will.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Singapore journalism has never been 'real' journalism in the strictest sense of the word. The media in Singapore is meant to be for 'nation-building' (LKY's exact words). Make what of that you will.

I praise your post because it is spot on.

The same can be said for our primary and secondary school history textbooks. They are written in a way to show the “proper use of history”. It is only when you take the Singapore Studies modules (atas way of saying history) in the local university such as NUS where they allow some controlled dissent in the lectures and tutorial sessions.

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 1

Well... The old man was right about some things, definitely wrong on some others.

The deplorable state of local media started with him.

His followers made it much worst.

83a3e363fcdcf5a91de127f1a0fe7841890c519b

None of my group of friends hav a subscription to any local papers. Waste of paper.
I had this issue. Gave it away when cleaning up.

Screen+shot+2010-12-13+at+8.26.36+AM.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I praise your post because it is spot on.

The same can be said for our primary and secondary school history textbooks. They are written in a way to show the âproper use of historyâ. It is only when you take the Singapore Studies modules (atas way of saying history) in the local university such as NUS where they allow some controlled dissent in the lectures and tutorial sessions.

for my SS tutorials i remember the students all not much dissent. think the SG education system already conditioned everyone to take the textbook history as canon. only when doing the readings then you will get a wider view.
  • Praise 1

It is now 2018. The gods at States Times must be preparing and going out in full force to cover the 2018 law suit for the AHTC (Pritam, Sylvia Lim and Uncle Low). They will highlight that no one except the whites can manage town councils properly. In addition, 2019 celebration of the 200th anniversary of founding of modern Singapore might be meant to generate feel good factor to prepare for the 2020 GE.

attachicon.gif36FB3343-7060-4AB3-88B7-BB9E819BD158.jpeg

How much taxpayers' monies are going to be wasted again?  [rolleyes]

Well... The old man was right about some things, definitely wrong on some others.

The deplorable state of local media started with him.

His followers made it much worst.

But that's what he always wanted. The old man has always abhorred the Western style of media where they keep questioning the Govt (for good or for bad).

Turbocharged

How much taxpayers' monies are going to be wasted again?  [rolleyes]

Timing about right..2018..clear out fix the opposition..in time for smooth smooth 2019/2020 polls....

"Even after Brexit, to sustain their economy, we expect that education is one of those pillars the British would want to emphasise and grow," Mr Ng said.

One shareholder asked if SPH was late to the game with the purchase. Mr Ng replied that "the fact that others have gone in should give us comfort that it's a viable sector".

"In fact because of Brexit, there are deals to be done, people are willing to let go (of their assets), they want to exit," he added. https://www.straitstimes.com/business/5-strategies-raised-at-the-sph-agm?xtor=CS11-86

People buy he follow is a good move because it shows biz is viable but when people sell the logic changes and suddenly he gets a good deal. Pure genius. No wonder I am not a president scholar cuz I don't have the same type of brains as porky pig.

People buy he follow is a good move because it shows biz is viable but when people sell the logic changes and suddenly he gets a good deal. Pure genius. No wonder I am not a president scholar cuz I don't have the same type of brains as porky pig.

No wonder , no wonder.

But you are 师兄 second only to Si Fu @enye

Muayhahahahah

Still ng yat chung? He is clueless how to turn the ship around. And he likes to drop the bombs close to Xmas or CNY...😡

• Praise 2

Wow..staff get retrenched bcos company not making enough profit. I think is better to work for non profit organisation.

Edited by Roh96
  • Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

SPH quite jialat now. They closed a lot of magazines recently.

Even Torque also closing shop end of the year.

https://www.mumbrella.asia/2019/09/sph-to-axe-print-issue-of-motoring-magazine-torque

The market is changing rapidly.. Nowadays who will go read magazines where everyone just go online, Facebook, Instagram, forums and etc for entertainment. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1