<Bloomberg News Leak> SPH Retrenchment Coming

Jellandross

Genuine question here: When should I enter to average down my current SPH holdings? :D

genuine answer....

sibeh hao lian

• Praise 2

I am connected to all social channel of FHM Taiwan. Tumblr got the magazine meh?

Hmmm. Looks like I forgot that there are people who buy fhm to read the articles.

Hmmm. Looks like I forgot that there are people who buy fhm to read the articles.

It is a magazine that helps me to maintain my Chinese standard.  I hate cripple character.

• Praise 1

It is a magazine that helps me to maintain my Chinese standard. I hate cripple character.

You may also like the pinoy version bro

It is a magazine that helps me to maintain my Chinese standard. I hate cripple character.

You may also like the pinoy version bro

• Praise 1

any employee from sgcarmart/mcf affected?

Not sure but I don't think so. sgCarMart is a different division/subsidiary from SPH and run more or less independently from the mothership.

Looks like i will be owning more of it soon.

Can't get around the fact that the print business is a sunset industry although they can probably monetize some of their legacy real estate holdings. is that the angle? Or you are also bullish on their digital /online businesses?

Can't get around the fact that the print business is a sunset industry although they can probably monetize some of their legacy real estate holdings. is that the angle? Or you are also bullish on their digital /online businesses?

My take is that print will not die this decade nor the next 2 decades at least.

Its a question of what they print, and where they print, not whether they print.

Whats going to happen, is a lower reliance on human labor, to a point where, the propensital cost is equivalent to a non human source. Another thing they need to do is trim the the management layers.

I think there are too many of them. Impedes the speed overall.

Real Estate is dead for now in my opinion, so the value is priced in already.

It helps that the cash flows from real estate remains relatively stable

On the topic of oppotunity, SPH has the power and expertise to go overseas (emerging economies), they need to that. EMs require tons of print.

I would also agree that i was caught a little off guard as i didnt expect the sizaeble drop in revs for 3rQ 2016. But this is not SPH specific. The GDP as a whole is down 4%. So what can i say...

I think we need to brace ourselves for a bit of turbulence the next 12 months at least.

I am seeing GDP shrink by another 2-3% 4Q2016 bringing us to a real recession, technical or otherwise.

It tough holding on to so much cash, proportionately, but i'd rather lose a few percentage points to inflation than a lot more to the market.

• Praise 8

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/my-paper-and-the-new-paper-to-merge-sph-to-cut-staff-by-up-to-10-per-cent-over-2-years#xtor=cs1-10

Looks like still not so bad, not cut 10% staff at one go, will cut slowly and by the end of 2yrs will have 10% less staff. Hopefully those who knew that they are in the 10% list will have ample time to look for another job.

Edited by Yewheng

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/my-paper-and-the-new-paper-to-merge-sph-to-cut-staff-by-up-to-10-per-cent-over-2-years#xtor=cs1-10

Looks like still not so bad, not cut 10% staff at one go, will cut slowly and by the end of 2yrs will have 10% less staff. Hopefully those who knew that they are in the 10% list will have ample time to look for another job.

GLC effect. Cannot cut those that they need to cut for fear that they will lose votes.

↡ Advertisement