Honda CRV -facelift with 1.5 turbo

Carbon82

Moreover I think CRV is built in Thailand for Asean markets. And you would expect this should translate to lower cost and price for competitiveness. Otherwise it could imply Honda Thailand is not as cost efficient as one expects.

I did wonder if it was the Thailand plant being inefficient. 

But then again, Australia gets the CR-V from the Thailand plant as well, and it prices the CR-V 7 seater (same version as Singapore) at 15% lower than the Forester XT (which is also sourced from Japan).

Same sourcing for both cars but very different pricing points, despite Australia having to pay more in transporting the car further.  Quite a conundrum, if you think about it. 

The Forester is just one example. You can use the X-Trail, Tucson/Santa Fe, Sportage/Sorento, and pretty much see the same pricing dynamic despite the same sourcing. 

And as Spring mentioned, much of the differential is due to OMV (i.e. not just to AD margin, though this is also clearly a contributing factor).  Leads me to hypothesize that Honda may be selling the same car to different countries at different margins. 

Edited by Fungyee77
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

"Decent" as in Asian made standard. :a-fun:

MIJ Hondas have very good fit & finish.

Beg to defer after seeing the mij vezel...quite plasticky interior...but to be fair not sure of the new crv. Older crv built was really decent except the slow pick up despite 5AT. Edited by Andyngps
  • Praise 1

But then again, Australia gets the CR-V from the Thailand plant as well, and it prices the CR-V 7 seater (same version as Singapore) at 15% lower than the Forester XT (which is also sourced from Japan).

Same sourcing for both cars but very different pricing points, despite Australia having to pay more in transporting the car further. Quite a conundrum, if you think about it.

The Forester is just one example. You can use the X-Trail, Tucson/Santa Fe, Sportage/Sorento, and pretty much see the same pricing dynamic despite the same sourcing.

And as Spring mentioned, much of the differential is due to OMV (i.e. not just to AD margin, though this is also clearly a contributing factor). Leads me to hypothesize that Honda may be selling the same car to different countries at different margins.

1. Australia has volume, the country as a whole sell more cars per month than Singapore in a year.

2. Honda doesn't sell well in Australia, they struggle to make the Top 10 (Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai make up the top 3)

Thus,I won't be surprised if Honda does indeed sell cheaper to its Australian importer, and the dealers there don't mark up Honda that much as their cars don't sell as well as their competitors....

"New vehicle sales hit a monthly record high of 134,171 units in June, an increase of 4.4 per cent over the previous high – achieved during the same month in 2016, which had the same number of selling-days.

The sales bonanza takes year-to-date (YTD) sales to 599,552 units, overtaking 2016’s high-water mark. Australians have never bought and/or sold more new vehicles than they are right now."

http://www.caradvice.com.au/564037/june-2017-vfacts-new-vehicle-sales-records-tumble/

Edited by Notsogoodman
  • Praise 2

Same sourcing for both cars but very different pricing points, despite Australia having to pay more in transporting the car further.  Quite a conundrum, if you think about it. 

And as Spring mentioned, much of the differential is due to OMV (i.e. not just to AD margin, though this is also clearly a contributing factor).  Leads me to hypothesize that Honda may be selling the same car to different countries at different margins. 

I think is engine issue.

Thailand factory may have to tune the engine to adhere to the emission tests here. So costs increase.

Ordered a lunar silver CRV a few weeks back, trading up from my Qashqai cos my family has grown larger but I can't stomach the thought of driving an MPV Stock should come in around november... I'll try to do a proper review with pictures/ video then.

• Praise 2

Ordered a lunar silver CRV a few weeks back, trading up from my Qashqai cos my family has grown larger but I can't stomach the thought of driving an MPV âºï¸ Stock should come in around november... I'll try to do a proper review with pictures/ video then.

Congrats. 5 or 7 seater?
  • Praise 1

Got the 7 seater. The kids gave their stamp of approval ðð»Overall the cabin seemed very well put together, and the engine was more than sufficient for the car during the test drive. What attracted me was that the boot space is still useable (though not much) with all seats up.

Did u test drive the Sorento b4 committing to the CRV?
  • Praise 1

Did u test drive the Sorento b4 committing to the CRV?

Not everyone like diesel engine bro. Some people still have the misconception about diesel.

I love turbo diesel!

Not everyone like diesel engine bro. Some people still have the misconception about diesel.

I love turbo diesel!

Couldn't agree more with u!! Turbo diesel ftw!! Torque is instant n comes in at low RPM which is excellent for our local driving conditions as it allows u to overtake n change lanes safely.

The diesel clatter admittedly is not the nicest piece of sound but the fact that diesel costs 2/3 the price of 95 plus the better FC more than makes up for it and though road tax is higher, it's only about $50 more per mth compared to petrol for 1.5l

• Praise 11

I love turbo diesel!

No lah. I mean if someone budget is ard 160k for 7-seater, juz curious lor coz the Sorento is a top class world product at that price. If ppl buy X-Trail or Outlander can understand coz there's a big price diff between Sorento and those.

No lah. I mean if someone budget is ard 160k for 7-seater, juz curious lor coz the Sorento is a top class world product at that price. If ppl buy X-Trail or Outlander can understand coz there's a big price diff between Sorento and those.

It's the logo H...haha.

I did, but I still liked the CRV more in terms of the size - compact enough outside but spacious on the interior. Coming from a Qashqai, I didn't really want something too large externally. Did consider the x-trail but felt it was underpowered - same engine as the QQ. Diesel engines are much more sophisticated these days though, with great torque and economy. Just not my thing.

Quality of the finish is fairly similar, but I prefer the ergonomics of the CRV. Looks wise, I also prefer the CRV. So yeah those were some of the consideration factors.

Agent just updated the cars are coming in 2-3 week Nov. Excited!

• Praise 2