Honda CRV -facelift with 1.5 turbo

Carbon82

Bros ... don't laugh ... at my 1st servicing ... the Kah Motor repair guy recommended that I install a Nanopulser for the car told me some rubbish explanation that the battery will be able to last 2x as long as other cars etc etc. I did a quick check and saw on the MCF and a few people recommended it so installed it for approx $170.

Guess what ... fast forward to my 1st year service (delayed by COVID by 2.5 months) and Kah Motors now tells me that the battery only left 20% and recommended I change the battery. The moment the chap told me that ... I could feel heat around my ears and blood pressure rising. The CRV battery only lasted 14-15 months with the rubbish Nanopulser?!

The Kah Motor repair dude had the cheek to tell me that noone can guarantee the battery will last 2x as long etc etc and the nanopulser's role is to "stabilise the voltage". What a load of rubbish!

Fortunately, I showed them the website which guaranteed the battery for 36 months from installation of the nanopulser. They changed the battery for me FOC and waived a few other charges! I told them to throw away the nanopulser.

http://www.nanopulserplus.com/battery-xchange/

Please do reconsider if you someone asks you to install the device!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

15 hours ago, Weewee1976 said:

For update, I've recently just changed my steering rack under warranty due to knocking sound when turning the steering wheel. Apparently this seems like a common issue for our Malaysian counterparts also.

Me too. Changed mine under warranty. The knocking sound came in when i do full lock on reverse gear when parking. After the change, knocking sound gone. Apparently I wanted for a few month to get it changed as I was told that they don't keep parts in workshop. Got indent in from Japan and was on a queue.

• Praise 1

What was your mileage when the steering rack became noisy? Coming from a Honda owner myself, I have a poor impression on Honda's steering rack quality.

(edited)

I didn't take note of my mileage. Usually go for 6 monthly servicing rather than 10K. Current mileage is about 36K after 2.5 years of ownership. I brought up the knocking sound during my 4th servicing (ie. about 2 years of ownership). Of course, it happened before that but I choose to get it done together with servicing. Btw, before this I was driving a Stream. No issue on the steering rack.

Edited by Ray7456

12 hours ago, Mcscot said:

Bros ... don't laugh ... at my 1st servicing ... the Kah Motor repair guy recommended that I install a Nanopulser for the car told me some rubbish explanation that the battery will be able to last 2x as long as other cars etc etc. I did a quick check and saw on the MCF and a few people recommended it so installed it for approx $170.

Guess what ... fast forward to my 1st year service (delayed by COVID by 2.5 months) and Kah Motors now tells me that the battery only left 20% and recommended I change the battery. The moment the chap told me that ... I could feel heat around my ears and blood pressure rising. The CRV battery only lasted 14-15 months with the rubbish Nanopulser?!

The Kah Motor repair dude had the cheek to tell me that noone can guarantee the battery will last 2x as long etc etc and the nanopulser's role is to "stabilise the voltage". What a load of rubbish!

Fortunately, I showed them the website which guaranteed the battery for 36 months from installation of the nanopulser. They changed the battery for me FOC and waived a few other charges! I told them to throw away the nanopulser.

http://www.nanopulserplus.com/battery-xchange/

Please do reconsider if you someone asks you to install the device!

FYI Nanopulsar is not a battery maintainer during the CB. 

In short np claims on life extension of the lead acid battery is depending on usage, usually for daily driving conditions. If you use your car daily you wont have an issue. Issue comes when you leave your car un-used for a long time.

For any type of lead acid battery if you dont use it for long period of time it will slowly discharge until it goes flat. The only thing that can maintain the charge is a battery maintainer that is plug to 13A power socket. Or you take your car out for at least a 30min drive to let the alternator charge up the battery.

No point pushing the blame as to what ppl at service center say. Everything is on the website. If you are in doubt you can always come to forum and ask. 

On 6/5/2020 at 12:11 PM, Watwheels said:

FYI Nanopulsar is not a battery maintainer during the CB. 

In short np claims on life extension of the lead acid battery is depending on usage, usually for daily driving conditions. If you use your car daily you wont have an issue. Issue comes when you leave your car un-used for a long time.

For any type of lead acid battery if you dont use it for long period of time it will slowly discharge until it goes flat. The only thing that can maintain the charge is a battery maintainer that is plug to 13A power socket. Or you take your car out for at least a 30min drive to let the alternator charge up the battery.

No point pushing the blame as to what ppl at service center say. Everything is on the website. If you are in doubt you can always come to forum and ask. 

Bro - during the CB period ... I have been driving my car every single day to and fro from work and little change to my routine. I am not pushing the blame to anyone as I installed it with my eyes open (I checked MCF) and furthermore, I did not expect the battery to last 2x as long but for the battery to reach almost end of life at the 13/14th month seems a little quick despite the nanopulser installed. Anyway, I thought I had better warn others and allow them to make their own decision.

My personal belief the way to maintain the longevity of battery is to recharge it periodically to it's fullest charge.

3 to 6 months would be ideal.  

On 6/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ray7456 said:

Me too. Changed mine under warranty. The knocking sound came in when i do full lock on reverse gear when parking. After the change, knocking sound gone. Apparently I wanted for a few month to get it changed as I was told that they don't keep parts in workshop. Got indent in from Japan and was on a queue.

I must have been quite lucky then. I sent my car in on the last Fri during the CB period and car ready the next day morning.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:06 AM, Ray7456 said:

I didn't take note of my mileage. Usually go for 6 monthly servicing rather than 10K. Current mileage is about 36K after 2.5 years of ownership. I brought up the knocking sound during my 4th servicing (ie. about 2 years of ownership). Of course, it happened before that but I choose to get it done together with servicing. Btw, before this I was driving a Stream. No issue on the steering rack.

For mine it happened around 24k mileage. Initially was quite a faint knock or feel. Back then, I decided to drag till next servicing then feedback. However as the sound gets more obvious, I was quite irritated by it and decided to send in during CB period since less car in the workshop. Think by the time I send it was around 26k mileage.

I also owned a 2008 Stream previously and it underwent 2x change of steering rack. 1st time during warranty (close to 3 years old) and 2nd time after warranty (close to 6 years old). Apparently it was a common problem with Stream that time also.

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, Mcscot said:

Bro - during the CB period ... I have been driving my car every single day to and fro from work and little change to my routine. I am not pushing the blame to anyone as I installed it with my eyes open (I checked MCF) and furthermore, I did not expect the battery to last 2x as long but for the battery to reach almost end of life at the 13/14th month seems a little quick despite the nanopulser installed. Anyway, I thought I had better warn others and allow them to make their own decision.

I also got the Nanopulser installed but not from KM. I transferred it over from my last car, which was a Mazda 5. Bought it then after my stock battery became weak (just slightly after 1 year) and installed it after replacing the battery (Mazda 5's battery wasn't cheap as it required EFB/AGM based battery due to the engine start-stop feature). The battery managed to last through full 2 years before I sold the car off.

Coming back to CR-V's stock battery, mine also only lasted about 15 months before KM mentioned it was weak. But maybe a point to note is that normally stock battery lifespan isn't wonderful as it might been sitting in the factory for quite a long time before it was installed in the vehicle. Furthermore, my car's usage isn't heavy and involves a lot of short trips. This could also lead to a much shorter battery lifespan. So I didn't think much about it and proceeded elsewhere to install a new battery as KM's price was not fantastic. Now I'll use this new battery's lifespan as a gauge again to see whether the Nanopulser works as claimed.

Thanks to the bros that provided information on the steering rack issue for the CRV.

Could not figure out what was wrong when i started hearing noises doing full lock reverse turns.

Sent the car in for servicing this morning and told the service advisor about the issue. They called back to say car will only be ready tomorrow afternoon to replace the parts on the steering assembly. Seems like they have stocked up on the replacement parts.

Car is 2.5yrs old and mileage at 23,500km.

Thanks.

Just learned this after taking my car to KM to check a problem:

When you start your car and press on the foot brake (for keyless start) and it springs back quickly against your foot, it means your car battery needs changing. The car will start, but the spring back indicates bad battery.  I don't know if it's intentional warning indicator. 

I had run OBD scanner diagnostics and it was indicating ABS Computer problems, so was quite nervous. Figured better take it into KM to check it out since brake problems are no joke.  Explained to the service manager and he immediately pointed out it was a bad battery.  They swapped out battery and ran diagnostics. $140 dollars less for the battery and everything is back to normal. 

Battery was 1.5 years old from new and had run through 28,000km.

Hi, I have read review that ppls claim that this car is noisy at higher speed, is it true? My next car must be safe as I drive my current one with phobia everyday. Almost get kill in expressway this year as the break sensor didnt work. What the dealer claim is due to wear & tear! I don't encounter such thing in the past cars I drove.

Am contemplating on whether to get CRV if the driving & quality is similar as civic

Btw, any good SE that can recommend? ty

Edited by Lotr8445r

On 11/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, Lotr8445r said:

Hi, I have read review that ppls claim that this car is noisy at higher speed, is it true? My next car must be safe as I drive my current one with phobia everyday. Almost get kill in expressway this year as the break sensor didnt work. What the dealer claim is due to wear & tear! I don't encounter such thing in the past cars I drove.

Am contemplating on whether to get CRV if the driving & quality is similar as civic

Btw, any good SE that can recommend? ty

Went to see the face-lift CRV at KM while I was getting my servicing done. 

While I love my CRV bought 2 years ago, the new one is a disappointment. 

The only things that have really changed on face-lift is they've added Honda-sensing (which is very nice) and just relocated the USB ports. The third row aircon is also physically larger (but not better). The tail-lamps are a bit darker. The rear exhaust pipes are now squarish (but fake, since the round exhaust still pokes out). That's it. They've removed the wireless charger that other regions get. The standard fog-lamps are still non-led. 

Everything else is the same, including many of my pet peeves. Eg, still no seat memory, infotainment system is still the same.  I'm also not a huge fan of the exterior changes. The pre-facelift you can get modulo sport kit for, but this one you can't. 

My personal opinion is there are better cars out there for slightly higher price. Personally I like the new Sorento. SX base model is 10k more expensive, but I think it's a better (though bigger) car. If I were in the market again, I would get SX tech pack for 20k more. 

1 hour ago, GTO-1 said:

Went to see the face-lift CRV at KM while I was getting my servicing done. 

While I love my CRV bought 2 years ago, the new one is a disappointment. 

The only things that have really changed on face-lift is they've added Honda-sensing (which is very nice) and just relocated the USB ports. The third row aircon is also physically larger (but not better). The tail-lamps are a bit darker. The rear exhaust pipes are now squarish (but fake, since the round exhaust still pokes out). That's it. They've removed the wireless charger that other regions get. The standard fog-lamps are still non-led. 

Everything else is the same, including many of my pet peeves. Eg, still no seat memory, infotainment system is still the same.  I'm also not a huge fan of the exterior changes. The pre-facelift you can get modulo sport kit for, but this one you can't. 

My personal opinion is there are better cars out there for slightly higher price. Personally I like the new Sorento. SX base model is 10k more expensive, but I think it's a better (though bigger) car. If I were in the market again, I would get SX tech pack for 20k more. 

i went there for test drive during weekend. The car look so pleasing but upon knowing that all the standard equip, even from a 20k cheaper ride should have, is missing, i  was kind of disappointing. The new one with better equip, with honda sense is like 140k. However, this doesn't deter me of considering this car until i test drive. Can't believe the noise is loud even though i did not ramp the pedal at low rpm. this is totally different from what i test drive their Jazz a year ago which is creamy.

2 hours ago, Lotr8445r said:

i went there for test drive during weekend. The car look so pleasing but upon knowing that all the standard equip, even from a 20k cheaper ride should have, is missing, i  was kind of disappointing. The new one with better equip, with honda sense is like 140k. However, this doesn't deter me of considering this car until i test drive. Can't believe the noise is loud even though i did not ramp the pedal at low rpm. this is totally different from what i test drive their Jazz a year ago which is creamy.

They haven't really updated the 5-seater from what I can see.  I wouldn't recommend the 5-seater.  Didn't recommend it 2 years ago and wouldn't recommend it now.

The 7-seater at ubi KM is the face-lift model.  Honda sensing is nice and I wish my ride had it, but I' ve learned to live without.  I think the market has improved and KM hasn't moved with the market with the CRV and facelift. Again - something as simple as memory seats is missing, even when the Thai and MY face lift models are receiving it with their face-lift.  They also removed wireless charging which is a "key feature" on overseas models. I would never use wireless charging, but that's not the point - how much can KM really save by removing such a insignificant feature? I don't know, but they did it on their top spec.  Another key feature is 360 cameras. I don't think overseas CRVs have it yet, but the competition sure does. 

The CRV road noise is bearable (I've learned to live with it). It's not quiet, but if a quiet ride is top of your list then go with a conti. The CRV actually has noise cancellation in overseas models, but it's been removed from the SG version.  Having driven other CUV's as rentals (eg CX5, Rav4 etc, it's on-par if not a little worse). 

From what I can see the 5-seater is unchanged and so only has 2 airbags still. 

Like I said, I still love my CRV. I think it was the best balance of cost vs my needs 2 years ago. I also got it at its cheapest point, when COE was low. It still meets my needs today so I'm not changing. But if I were in the market for a new car today (which I'm not), I likely wouldn't buy it because the market has moved onwards. I'd probably stretch my budget to a new Sorento SX tech pack.  It's a much bigger car (30cm longer) so harder for wife to navigate, I also think the material quality isn't as good, but it's a damn well thought out car. 

By the way, I blame KM, more so than Honda for the spec of the CRV. I think the CRV remains competitive to the global market segment. But the CRV in SG isn't as competitive as it once was. 

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 2