Self drive in Japan

Billcoke

Planning to do a self drive in Japan. Any bro here have experience with rental cars?

I did some research, one of the recommended car rental is Times cars. http://www.timescar-rental.com/. Are there any other recommended car rental companies with help desk staffs that speak English.

Secondly, understand the Garmin GPS doesn't have maps for Japan, so need to use the GPS provided by the rental car. And they use map codes or phone numbers to locate your destinations. Will be my first time using map codes, care to share your experience?

I checked the map code here http://www.mapion.co.jp/, one of the draw back of using map codes is it doesn't give the exact location. Your destination could be off by 50-100m from the actual destination. Hence i'm a little worry here.

↡ Advertisement

I just did 6 days self drive covering about 1100km.

It's fun.

Use your iPhone Google map and have someone navigate for you on the smaller mountain roads cos the turns can be very abrupt. Rent from companies that has GPS in English.

Driving is generally stress free. Great etiquette all round once you get out of Toyko.

If you go into the mountains just chill and follow the car in front. Mostly single lane and no overtaking.

Enjoy.

• Praise 1

Planning to do a self drive in Japan. Any bro here have experience with rental cars?

I did some research, one of the recommended car rental is Times cars. http://www.timescar-rental.com/. Are there any other recommended car rental companies with help desk staffs that speak English.

Secondly, understand the Garmin GPS doesn't have maps for Japan, so need to use the GPS provided by the rental car. And they use map codes or phone numbers to locate your destinations. Will be my first time using map codes, care to share your experience?

I checked the map code here http://www.mapion.co.jp/, one of the draw back of using map codes is it doesn't give the exact location. Your destination could be off by 50-100m from the actual destination. Hence i'm a little worry here.

Where will you be driving?

Self drove in Hokkaido in July. Went with Toyota rentals. Think they are the few ones who knows how to speak English. I also got the express way pass. Its a one time payment so you don't need to pay the actual tolls. Will save you some bucks. One thing to note is the rental cost is based on the time and date you collect and return the car. I return mine 2 hrs before the stated time and got some money back. [thumbsup]

I rented their GPS (need to specify you need it in English) and backup with the google map on my hp (bought data sim there) as I can't find some of the map codes there (can't find a melon farm using the gps). :yuush:. Map codes do differ from different sources so note all of them down before travelling in case one of them does not work. Google map is still useful when you are walking around in the city. They are not cheap though. 2 weeks is about 35 SGD.

Accuracy is quite okay except one time the map direct me to go up a very steep and narrow road. Thinking its too dangerous, I detour and managed to get back on track. Other than that, not much issues. You can normally see signage way before reaching your destination. Another advice is to follow the tour buses when you are reaching your destination. They will show you the parking areas.

• Praise 1

Where will you be driving?

Self drove in Hokkaido in July. Went with Toyota rentals. Think they are the few ones who knows how to speak English. I also got the express way pass. Its a one time payment so you don't need to pay the actual tolls. Will save you some bucks. One thing to note is the rental cost is based on the time and date you collect and return the car. I return mine 2 hrs before the stated time and got some money back. [thumbsup]

I rented their GPS (need to specify you need it in English) and backup with the google map on my hp (bought data sim there) as I can't find some of the map codes there (can't find a melon farm using the gps). :yuush:. Map codes do differ from different sources so note all of them down before travelling in case one of them does not work. Google map is still useful when you are walking around in the city. They are not cheap though. 2 weeks is about 35 SGD.

Accuracy is quite okay except one time the map direct me to go up a very steep and narrow road. Thinking its too dangerous, I detour and managed to get back on track. Other than that, not much issues. You can normally see signage way before reaching your destination. Another advice is to follow the tour buses when you are reaching your destination. They will show you the parking areas.

You are right, finding car parks is a challenge. The signage are in Japanese, if park at the wrong place, can get fine.

Just saw your thread on self drive in Japan. Perhaps you can provide us with more details like area you are travelling, time of travel and some itinenary etc.

Just saw your thread on self drive in Japan. Perhaps you can provide us with more details like area you are travelling, time of travel and some itinenary etc.

Planning to do a self drive at Kyushu, Spring or Autumn.

Here is a general itinenary. 

Fukuoka
- Canal City Hakata
- Mt Inasa 
- Dazaifu Tenmangu

Nagasaki
- Kuchinotsu Port - Dolphin
- Car ferry, Shimabara Port to Kumamoto Port

Kagoshima
- Tenmonkan Shopping Street
- Saraku Sand Bath Hall

Sakurajima
- Car ferry, Kagoshima port to Sakurajima Port
- Arimura Lava Observatory
- Kurokami Buried Shrine Gate

Takachiho
- Takachiho Gorge

Beppu
- Hell Beppu
- Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway
- Takasakiyama Nature Zoo

Planning to do a self drive at Kyushu, Spring or Autumn.

Here is a general itinenary.

Fukuoka

- Canal City Hakata

- Mt Inasa

- Dazaifu Tenmangu

Nagasaki

- Kuchinotsu Port - Dolphin

- Car ferry, Shimabara Port to Kumamoto Port

Kagoshima

- Tenmonkan Shopping Street

- Saraku Sand Bath Hall

Sakurajima

- Car ferry, Kagoshima port to Sakurajima Port

- Arimura Lava Observatory

- Kurokami Buried Shrine Gate

Takachiho

- Takachiho Gorge

Beppu

- Hell Beppu

- Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway

- Takasakiyama Nature Zoo

I have not done this route. But itis relavtively easy to drive in Japan as long as you stay away from the cities.

I usually use Time car rental or Nippon rent a car. They are pretty excellant. JR, Toyota and Nissan do car rentals too. If you are picking up from major tourist area, likelihood they will have an english speaking staff or even Chinese speaking. If small towns, then good luck, but there isn't really much to talk about anyway. Remember to ask fuel type. Usually it is 'reh-giu-ra'.

I see more and more English GPS, especially from popular tourist spots. They are easy to use and relatively accurate. Search by phone number and map code is straight forward. You might get a problem in town areas because everything is so close by. Other than that, it usually brings me right to the place or within 100m or so. Always rely on Mark 1 eyeball when you are that close. The GPS will give you 5 choices of route i.e Recommended, shortest, most expensive, least expensive etc.

Never used Garmin but I will back up car GPS with google map on iphone or better still, iPad. Wifi connection would be useful. Worked for me so far. If really, really kiasu, tourist maps can always be picked up at tourist info, hotel or train station. And you can buy really detailed ones for the area from convenience store.

Get updates on road information, closure and weather from their local websites daily. Especially if you are driving in the mountain area.

Spring and Autumm season might not have too much snow and ice but you might want to check the mountain areas again. Snow tyres are optional during this period and cost money.

Have a safe drive.

• Praise 2

I went during winter this year to Hokkaido and the roads

had snow and ice and I would not drive under these conditions.

So best is late spring or early autumn so no danger on driving on

slippery roads. The good thing is Japan people drive on the same

side of the road as us. I was driving in Korea and you should have seen

the shock on the drivers face when I forgot to turn into the correct lane.

I lost one pair of my favourite pants and underwear that day.

:D

• Praise 1

I went during winter this year to Hokkaido and the roads

had snow and ice and I would not drive under these conditions.

So best is late spring or early autumn so no danger on driving on

slippery roads. The good thing is Japan people drive on the same

side of the road as us. I was driving in Korea and you should have seen

the shock on the drivers face when I forgot to turn into the correct lane.

I lost one pair of my favourite pants and underwear that day.

:D

LoL. Snow, ice, sleet, slush and everything. Winter driving in Hokkdaido is an experience for SG drivers. Hokkdaido is much easier covered self drive. Just keep the distanct short and don't rush. Allow 2-3 times the time that google tells you. Even in autumm and spring, some areas will snow just becos they feel like it. Ice will form becos they feel like it. And mountain roads will close becos they feel like it too. Perfect.
  • Praise 1

I have not done this route. But itis relavtively easy to drive in Japan as long as you stay away from the cities.

I usually use Time car rental or Nippon rent a car. They are pretty excellant. JR, Toyota and Nissan do car rentals too. If you are picking up from major tourist area, likelihood they will have an english speaking staff or even Chinese speaking. If small towns, then good luck, but there isn't really much to talk about anyway. Remember to ask fuel type. Usually it is 'reh-giu-ra'.

I see more and more English GPS, especially from popular tourist spots. They are easy to use and relatively accurate. Search by phone number and map code is straight forward. You might get a problem in town areas because everything is so close by. Other than that, it usually brings me right to the place or within 100m or so. Always rely on Mark 1 eyeball when you are that close. The GPS will give you 5 choices of route i.e Recommended, shortest, most expensive, least expensive etc.

Never used Garmin but I will back up car GPS with google map on iphone or better still, iPad. Wifi connection would be useful. Worked for me so far. If really, really kiasu, tourist maps can always be picked up at tourist info, hotel or train station. And you can buy really detailed ones for the area from convenience store.

Get updates on road information, closure and weather from their local websites daily. Especially if you are driving in the mountain area.

Spring and Autumm season might not have too much snow and ice but you might want to check the mountain areas again. Snow tyres are optional during this period and cost money.

Have a safe drive.

Thanks for reminding on the fuel type, I often oversight this for road trips.

I forget 101 things every trip... especially that 12vcar charger

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type

2. 12 V car charger

Question:

---------

1. For ETC cards on highway, do they have unlimited usage for a flat fee? Aussie car rental has unlimited usage.

2. For parking, payment in cash at parking machines or payment with ETC cards like SG's cash cards?

3. Does this parking sign mean paid parking for 60mins, from 8:00 to 20:00?

120px-Japan_road_sign_318_svg.png

4. For car insurance, does Time or Nippon Car Rental offer full insurance package? package including excess and co payment. 

Edited by Billcoke

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type

2. 12 V car charger

Question:

---------

1. For ETC cards, do they have unlimited usage for a flat fee?

2. For parking, do they pay in cash at parking machines or payment with ETC cards like SG's cash cards cards?

3. Does this parking sign mean paid parking for 60mins, from 8:00 to 20:00?

120px-Japan_road_sign_318_svg.png

Someone mentioned got flat fee for ETC charges but I dun rmb that, maybe different region, companies. The Expressway tolls are calculated by mileage and are pretty expensive. Their ETC card is similar to our ERP but you can always opt to pay by cash at Expressways (which I usually do). Some car companies charge extra if you use their ETC.

Anyway, their national highway (国道), means normal roads i.e non-expressway. So be careful wih those as they can lead you to the most ulu places if you try to save on the tolls (which happens to me alot).

Parking is old school cash. Parking charges can be exorbitant in town area if you manage to find one. I don't recommend driving around town.

Not sure what that sign means but most of the time it is not a major problem. It's just like watching JAV, you dun haf to understand what they are saying but you figure out anyway.

Yes, they will ask if you want to insure your insurance at the counter usually.

Turbocharged

just came back from hokkaido self drive (north eastern region, 1000 km). used ToCoo! to book. cheaper than nissan or toyota rental but they do have a commission calculated on a per day basis. but overall still cheaper even though I opted for all insurance coverage etc. Do a comparison even within ToCoo!. Sometimes the same car has several packaging options and pricing. Choose the one that suits you best. Remember to opt for English GPS.

At first i wanted to use Google map as a back up but the GPS is so good I only used Google for 30 min. I prefer searching the locations using local phone numbers. Super accurate. Where phone numbers are not applicable (eg a car park at the side of the highway which also functions as a tourist lookout point), use the Mapion codes. The Mapion codes are also very accurate but the only downside is that you need to search using the Japanese name for the location. I searched for all the Mapion codes at home before I flew over.

Would suggest having the ETC card. It's only S$3+ to book. I think you get a discount at toll booths if you use ETC (unless I calculated wrongly). Saves you the trouble of having loose change to pay and also having to queue at the toll booths. You also pay the toll fees when you return your card. Can settle it by credit card if you want to.

Fuel price slightly cheaper than Singapore so you can use that to plan whether you want to rent a cheaper but more petrol thirsty car vs a more expensive but more fuel efficient car. I chose a Nissan Note, 2016 (over a much older Mazda 2, 2008) and did not regret it. I averaged 20km per litre over 1000+km.

If you have only 2 persons, I think small cars are the way to go. Only consideration is whether the boot can hold your luggage. The Note boot held 1 large + 1 medium hard case luggage and 2 soft bags (those you go to the gym with). Sometimes I even leave my bags in the back seat when I go for lunch etc. Safer than in Singapore though you might not want to take the chance. I saw a lot of the local cars with stuff in the back seat in full view.

To note: Ulu car pick up locations have almost nil english speaking Japanese. But I got by without knowing a single word of Japanese. Download the Google Translate app and the Japanese language pack for use offline. It was my savior on many occasions.

Some of the petrol kiosks are self service and there are only Japanese instructions. Totally don't know how to use it.So look out for those with attendants and then start pointing. [laugh] Just don't point to the wrong petrol grade. Different petrol companies use different color codings for their petrol grade. So look out for the Jap words rather than colour when you refuel. Eg ToCoo! told me i need regular grade petrol which is coded red at pumps. This is true for most kiosks but Shell uses Green I think. Nearly panicked when the attendant pumped the Green one until I noticed the Jap words tally.

Most cars in Japan are AT and would recommend using AT, esp on unfamiliar roads. Super highway courtesy on the roads by the Japanese. Love it.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 5

I just did north eastern loop too in October. Went Sapporo - Furano - Biel - Asahikawa - Sonkyo - Abashiri - Shiretoko - Lake Akan - Tokachigawa - Noboribetsu - Chitose. Around 1400km but we did quite a bit of detours.

↡ Advertisement