Self drive in Japan

Billcoke

just came back from hokkaido self drive (north eastern region, 1000 km). used ToCoo! to book. cheaper than nissan or toyota rental but they do have a commission calculated on a per day basis. but overall still cheaper even though I opted for all insurance coverage etc. Do a comparison even within ToCoo!. Sometimes the same car has several packaging options and pricing. Choose the one that suits you best. Remember to opt for English GPS.

At first i wanted to use Google map as a back up but the GPS is so good I only used Google for 30 min. I prefer searching the locations using local phone numbers. Super accurate. Where phone numbers are not applicable (eg a car park at the side of the highway which also functions as a tourist lookout point), use the Mapion codes. The Mapion codes are also very accurate but the only downside is that you need to search using the Japanese name for the location. I searched for all the Mapion codes at home before I flew over.

Would suggest having the ETC card. It's only S$3+ to book. I think you get a discount at toll booths if you use ETC (unless I calculated wrongly). Saves you the trouble of having loose change to pay and also having to queue at the toll booths. You also pay the toll fees when you return your card. Can settle it by credit card if you want to.

Fuel price slightly cheaper than Singapore so you can use that to plan whether you want to rent a cheaper but more petrol thirsty car vs a more expensive but more fuel efficient car. I chose a Nissan Note, 2016 (over a much older Mazda 2, 2008) and did not regret it. I averaged 20km per litre over 1000+km.

If you have only 2 persons, I think small cars are the way to go. Only consideration is whether the boot can hold your luggage. The Note boot held 1 large + 1 medium hard case luggage and 2 soft bags (those you go to the gym with). Sometimes I even leave my bags in the back seat when I go for lunch etc. Safer than in Singapore though you might not want to take the chance. I saw a lot of the local cars with stuff in the back seat in full view.

To note: Ulu car pick up locations have almost nil english speaking Japanese. But I got by without knowing a single word of Japanese. Download the Google Translate app and the Japanese language pack for use offline. It was my savior on many occasions.

Some of the petrol kiosks are self service and there are only Japanese instructions. Totally don't know how to use it.So look out for those with attendants and then start pointing. [laugh] Just don't point to the wrong petrol grade. Different petrol companies use different color codings for their petrol grade. So look out for the Jap words rather than colour when you refuel. Eg ToCoo! told me i need regular grade petrol which is coded red at pumps. This is true for most kiosks but Shell uses Green I think. Nearly panicked when the attendant pumped the Green one until I noticed the Jap words tally.

Most cars in Japan are AT and would recommend using AT, esp on unfamiliar roads. Super highway courtesy on the roads by the Japanese. Love it.

Great info on the colour pump and Google Translate. Will add to my 101 list.

As for the GPS, I've already gotten the phone no and map codes for the destinations we plan to visit. Map code is a pain, can be out by 50-100m

Given a choice, I prefer to use Garmin, because I store all my POI in google map and import to Garmin before the trip. Especially for congested cities, google street view is a bonus, I can find where is the car park entrance, mark it at google map and import to Garmin. Some of the car park entrance are located at back streets, not visible from the main road.

So less stress for me when in a unfamiliar city.

I'm still finding out how to use Gamin Openstreet Maps, need help here.

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type, not colour pump
2. 12 V car charger
3. Google Translate app
Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I just did north eastern loop too in October. Went Sapporo - Furano - Biel - Asahikawa - Sonkyo - Abashiri - Shiretoko - Lake Akan - Tokachigawa - Noboribetsu - Chitose. Around 1400km but we did quite a bit of detours.

Will try this route too.

Turbocharged

Great info on the colour pump and Google Translate. Will add to my 101 list.

As for the GPS, I've already gotten the phone no and map codes for the destinations we plan to visit. Map code is a pain, can be out by 50-100m

Given a choice, I prefer to use Garmin, because I store all my POI in google map and import to Garmin before the trip. Especially for congested cities, google street view is a bonus, I can find where is the car park entrance, mark it at google map and import to Garmin. Some of the car park entrance are located at back streets, not visible from the main road.

So less stress for me when in a unfamiliar city.

I'm still finding out how to use Gamin Openstreet Maps, need help here.

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type, not colour pump
2. 12 V car charger
3. Google Translate app

It's just me but i won't bother driving around in the city. Will use the public transport. Driving needs to find car park, pay for car park (not cheap, can be Y200-300 per hour but usually capped at Y500), congestion. Most hotels in the outskirts give free parking. For city hotels, most pay a flat fee. I sacrifice the daily rental fee for freedom in the city.

Driving also forces you to go back to where you park. I like to go one place then walk walk walk for hours, detouring around neighbourhoods etc where there are no tourists and then hey! pop up in another tourist attraction. Most times, you can find hidden gems like a very popular local food stall, local garden frequented by locals, see pre-sch teachers leading their charges to the playground (very orderly) and just sit there observing them play. It's just me though. [smash][laugh]

Turbocharged

I just did north eastern loop too in October. Went Sapporo - Furano - Biel - Asahikawa - Sonkyo - Abashiri - Shiretoko - Lake Akan - Tokachigawa - Noboribetsu - Chitose. Around 1400km but we did quite a bit of detours.

I drove from memanbetsu - shiretoko - kawayu - lake mashu (this part from mashu to akan is damn fun cos of the winding hilly roads) - akan - nemuro (for lunch) - kushiro - obihiro (for lunch) - sapporo.

will do the southern japan route another time. too bad a lot of earthquakes in that region this year.

Edited by Kxbc

I drove from memanbetsu - shiretoko - kawayu - lake mashu (this part from mashu to akan is damn fun cos of the winding hilly roads) - akan - nemuro (for lunch) - kushiro - obihiro (for lunch) - sapporo.

will do the southern japan route another time. too bad a lot of earthquakes in that region this year.

If you enjoy mountain roads, tunnels et al, can consider Kusatsu, Yudanaka onsen, Takayama, Shirgawa (overrated btw). The roads are scenic and bendy Initial D style.post-18199-0-24887500-1479269716_thumb.png and they have some of the best ryokans if you are into onsens.

• Praise 1

If you enjoy mountain roads, tunnels et al, can consider Kusatsu, Yudanaka onsen, Takayama, Shirgawa (overrated btw). The roads are scenic and bendy Initial D style.attachicon.gifIMG_0561.PNG and they have some of the best ryokans if you are into onsens.

Will bookmark this route. Have you driven on this route before?  :a-good:

Edited by Billcoke

I've done a few self-drives in Japan.

Once in Kyushu - Summer - Toyota Prius

Once in Tokyo - Winter - Toyota Alphard

3 Times in hokkaido: 2 Winters (Toyota Allion, Subaru Outback); 1 Summer Toyota Alphard.

I've rented directly from 3 different places: Toyota (although Hokkaido seems to be a different toyota-rent-a-car), Nippon and Times.

Times was worst because

1) They did not have the correct car seats I paid for.

2) The car was not as clean as what I came to expect from Japanese rental companies

3) In Sapporo, the return location in town was a multi-storey car park (Times is also a major carpark company in Japan) and as the car park was full, I had to wait in the queue to return the car (almost missing the return timing).

Toyota was my all time favourite because they were located conveniently in many cities where I started my journeys. I used them for Kyushu, Hokkaido Winter Trip and my last Winter drive around Tokyo-Fuji-Hakone

Nippon is also very good. They went out of their way to help me, providing me a different car model when I explained about luggage space.. and the size of the transport from the Rental Area to the Airport was significantly bigger than Toyota's.

Like most seasoned Singapore drivers in Japan, I relied a lot on the built in GPS - all you need to do is key in the destination location's telephone number, and the GPS reads out turn instructions in English. As such, before each trip, I make a list of all the locations I might visit (as well as accomodation) and ensure I have the right telephone number*

However, since 2012, I have been a WAZE advocate, and travelling in Hokkaido (and Australia), Waze was either my primary or backup. 

*There was a place in Yanagawa, Kyushu (I think it was the town hall), and somehow the official telephone number typed into the GPS led me to the middle of farmland. That was the only location error I had in the hundreds of places I have visited in Japan, including the northernmost parts of Hokkaido... so Ulu, there are no GPRS/HSPDA, so phone GPS fails... but the in-car GPS will always work :)

• Praise 2

Will bookmark this route. Have you driven on this route before? :a-good:

Yes. I kicked off from Nagoya and went to the furthest Kusatsu first, slowly looping back to Nagoya. The stars on the maps were places I bookmarked during the trip. Allow 8-10 days.

Alternatively, can kick off from Tokyo or Nagano (train combi)

Really no point driving in the city. Cannot squeeze with the OLs in the pack trains.

Also those mixed bathing onsen are really overrated.

I managed to find one and paid good money to go in

only to find a group of elderly ladies gawking at me.

I felt shy and left after 10 mins. Apparently young ladies

only use the female only onsen and are very conservative

unlike the older women who were too friendly  that I had to

run away.

:D

Yes. I kicked off from Nagoya and went to the furthest Kusatsu first, slowly looping back to Nagoya. The stars on the maps were places I bookmarked during the trip. Allow 8-10 days.

Alternatively, can kick off from Tokyo or Nagano (train combi)

Is U-Turn in Japan the same as Australia? ie. Drivers can make U-turn at any intersection unless indicated by no U-Turn sign?

I've done a few self-drives in Japan.

Once in Kyushu - Summer - Toyota Prius

Once in Tokyo - Winter - Toyota Alphard

3 Times in hokkaido: 2 Winters (Toyota Allion, Subaru Outback); 1 Summer Toyota Alphard.

I've rented directly from 3 different places: Toyota (although Hokkaido seems to be a different toyota-rent-a-car), Nippon and Times.

Times was worst because

1) They did not have the correct car seats I paid for.

2) The car was not as clean as what I came to expect from Japanese rental companies

3) In Sapporo, the return location in town was a multi-storey car park (Times is also a major carpark company in Japan) and as the car park was full, I had to wait in the queue to return the car (almost missing the return timing).

Toyota was my all time favourite because they were located conveniently in many cities where I started my journeys. I used them for Kyushu, Hokkaido Winter Trip and my last Winter drive around Tokyo-Fuji-Hakone

Nippon is also very good. They went out of their way to help me, providing me a different car model when I explained about luggage space.. and the size of the transport from the Rental Area to the Airport was significantly bigger than Toyota's.

Like most seasoned Singapore drivers in Japan, I relied a lot on the built in GPS - all you need to do is key in the destination location's telephone number, and the GPS reads out turn instructions in English. As such, before each trip, I make a list of all the locations I might visit (as well as accomodation) and ensure I have the right telephone number*

However, since 2012, I have been a WAZE advocate, and travelling in Hokkaido (and Australia), Waze was either my primary or backup. 

*There was a place in Yanagawa, Kyushu (I think it was the town hall), and somehow the official telephone number typed into the GPS led me to the middle of farmland. That was the only location error I had in the hundreds of places I have visited in Japan, including the northernmost parts of Hokkaido... so Ulu, there are no GPRS/HSPDA, so phone GPS fails... but the in-car GPS will always work :)

Are the car rental companies located at Kyushu airport too? or need to catch a shuttle bus and collect the cars from the city?

Edited by Billcoke

Turbocharged

If you enjoy mountain roads, tunnels et al, can consider Kusatsu, Yudanaka onsen, Takayama, Shirgawa (overrated btw). The roads are scenic and bendy Initial D style.attachicon.gifIMG_0561.PNG and they have some of the best ryokans if you are into onsens.

the mountain road was a surprise as I was driving from Mashu to Akan. Did not expected it at all. But it was fun with all the twists and turns.

went to gifu, takayama and surrounding areas last year so doubt i will go back again soon.

but i have to say japan is a nice country to visit, whether self drive or by public transport. if go with tour group, i think one will miss out on the local element which is very pleasant in japan.

Are the car rental companies located at Kyushu airport too? or need to catch a shuttle bus and collect the cars from the city?

When we went to Fukuoka (back in 2011) There was a Toyota Outlet just outside the airport, so we walked... quite a short distance.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/qiow1hRVJLT2

I remember that it was still morning when we landed (having taken the overnight flight), and I just relied on my gut feel and a printed google map. It was drizzling, so the ground was a bit wet, and our luggage wheels were a bit dirty. We easily found the outlet, got into the car - with our dirty wheels, and spent the whole day driving to Nagasaki, stopping at some sights, and getting lost trying to find the entrance to the hotel... 

Edited by Presea

Planning to do a self drive at Kyushu, Spring or Autumn.

Here is a general itinenary. 

Fukuoka
- Canal City Hakata
- Mt Inasa 
- Dazaifu Tenmangu

Nagasaki
- Kuchinotsu Port - Dolphin
- Car ferry, Shimabara Port to Kumamoto Port

Kagoshima
- Tenmonkan Shopping Street
- Saraku Sand Bath Hall

Sakurajima
- Car ferry, Kagoshima port to Sakurajima Port
- Arimura Lava Observatory
- Kurokami Buried Shrine Gate

Takachiho
- Takachiho Gorge

Beppu
- Hell Beppu
- Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway
- Takasakiyama Nature Zoo

Some points to note:

1. For Car Ferry, may need to communicate via email with them. But once they are clear, they will place your name in the list for that timing.
  2. I would recommend staying at an Onsen Hotel on Mt Unzen (between Nagasaki and Shimabara). It is a pleasant place to be.
  3. Kumamoto Castle, definitely worth a visit. Beautiful (not so for Shimabara Castle).
  4. Mt Aso...interesting place to visit too. We stayed 2 nights at Takefue Ryokan and enjoyed driving around the Caldera (in, out and around.

Back in 2011, we spent 5 days on the road, and 5 days in Fukuoka... climbing mountains, speeding on the expressway (I did 167kmh before a Police car appeared and I was forced to slow down - to avoid any drama)... and the Prius I rented... I didn't even top it up once. 20km/L 

We have been planning to revisit Kyushu, but Hokkaido and Tokyo has presented so much for us to explore, we keep going back there instead (4 x Hokkaido, 3 x Tokyo)... 

Turbocharged

depends on the airport layout. and depends where you want to pick up your car. most the companies will have a pick up/drop off point close to airports and major train stations. depending on the city, they will also be located close by other important sites as well.

eg in my case, all the rental companies are located like 5 min drive away from the airport. but all the companies have a counter (all located side by side) at the airport. you show them your rental printout, they'll ask you to wait while they call their guy to drive over to pick you from the counter and send you direct to the company office where their fleet is located. this is standard procedure for all the rental companies in the airport i landed in.

try to arrange for drop off point near your hotel/train station/airport. they might have many offices within a 2km radius eg mine in sapporo train station area. some of the drop off/pick up offices have their own fuel pumps. that means you don't have to find a petrol station to top up before you return the car. just return, they will top up and charge you accordingly. you should be able to find that info in their company website.

japanese operating procedures are very standard across the country so i would expect the same where you are going. when you have selected your rental company, they will give you the proper directions. no worries. japan is easy to navigate even if you can't speak japanese. everything is laid out logically.

Edited by Kxbc

Turbocharged

Some points to note:

1. For Car Ferry, may need to communicate via email with them. But once they are clear, they will place your name in the list for that timing.
  2. I would recommend staying at an Onsen Hotel on Mt Unzen (between Nagasaki and Shimabara). It is a pleasant place to be.
  3. Kumamoto Castle, definitely worth a visit. Beautiful (not so for Shimabara Castle).
  4. Mt Aso...interesting place to visit too. We stayed 2 nights at Takefue Ryokan and enjoyed driving around the Caldera (in, out and around.

Back in 2011, we spent 5 days on the road, and 5 days in Fukuoka... climbing mountains, speeding on the expressway (I did 167kmh before a Police car appeared and I was forced to slow down - to avoid any drama)... and the Prius I rented... I didn't even top it up once. 20km/L 

We have been planning to revisit Kyushu, but Hokkaido and Tokyo has presented so much for us to explore, we keep going back there instead (4 x Hokkaido, 3 x Tokyo)... 

some earthquakes in the kyushu area last few months so TS should also check which roads are closed for repairs.

some earthquakes in the kyushu area last few months so TS should also check which roads are closed for repairs.

Didn't know, thanks...

↡ Advertisement