MyResponder app to call SCDF

Philipkee

On the contrary, Singapore has no good Samaritan laws (already discussed in parliament and dismissed by our overlords).

So while it is good to be helpful, please make sure you know what you are doing. If you don't know, better to just stand aside.

Army CPR/first aid training is wayang one la. I also passed all the tests (with certificate) but I won't be able to help anyone if it really comes down to it.

The best part is that I think I am in the top 30% in terms of competency so the other 70% is worse than half f*** type. If I were injured, I wouldn't want them to help me.

Not really true. Obviously if you don't know don't anyhow do. But if you are calling 995 then LISTEN to the dispatcher and give the information as best as you can and follow the instructions.

Of cos if you are trained then it is better but if untrained then just follow instructions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have just passed my CPR and have signed up.  Have also responded to one case.  But not able to do cos by the time i am about to reach the victim, 995 arrived. 

Anyway good to sign up.  Who knows you may save someone life.  :) 

• Praise 4

I have just passed my CPR and have signed up. Have also responded to one case. But not able to do cos by the time i am about to reach the victim, 995 arrived.

Anyway good to sign up. Who knows you may save someone life. :)

Good good. Hope more will sign up and respond. Sometimes it might not be a cardiac arrest case but an extra pair of hands on the ground can be useful. Like if the person is unconscious but still breathing normally, the responder can help turn the patient to recovery position, esp if the only other family members are frail elderlies.

And like your nick, who knows you might be the life insurance to someone in need. You don't give money but you give the life back :)

• Praise 4

My license expire liao in Aug 2016. So cant help. My company dont want to send me for refresher course. After six years, as appointed first aider, hand over to younger and more eager generation. [laugh]

Anyway, for those who dont dare do mouth to mouth, just keep pumping the chest will do. Thatz what the tester(who is a certified doctor) told us during our practical test. Better than just stand there and look.

• Praise 2

Warning. CPR if not done exactly correctly will result in broken ribs .

All cpr if done properly will eventually result in cracked ribs because of the depth of compression and that it is prolonged. You can do cpr for many minutes. Of cos its worse if you were pressing on the wrong area. Hence it is best to follow the CPR guidelines that are taught or the instructions from the dispatcher.

By the way when you call an ambulance and the dispatcher calls back it appears on caller id as private number. So if you have just called for ambulance and you see a private number calling back PLEASE PICK UP. If it were a salesman you can quickly put down but that might be a life saving call.

If you have an apps that block private numbers I am not sure if it will block calls from Scdf. I will say don't have the app. I don't. But this is up to individual cos if one gets a lot of junk calls..... But then you need to be aware that if Scdf tries to call you it might not get through. But I am not too sure cos I don't block private numbers in my hp.

Edited by Philipkee

Twincharged

https://www.reach.gov.sg/participate/discussion-forum/2017/05/04/995hotline-calls-to-have-tiered-response

Just some updates on our work. So if you call 995 and the operators ask you questions please don't panic or scold them but answer the questions truthfully and honestly. It is OK IF YOU DON'T KNOW. Just be honest and say you don't know.

The most important questions other than location of emergency is conscious level and breathing status.

Conscious means awake, can respond, got reaction when pinched or something like that. Conscious does not mean breathing.

Breathing normally is the next question. Breathing normally is like how you are breathing. Chest wall up down, got warm air moving in and out not too fast not too slow. If it is slow or fast there may be a need to start cpr.

This might seem elementary but when people panic.....

Maybe mods can change the title of this thread. Not wanting to start a new thread because this tiered response is kind of related to my responder app also.

• Praise 2

Something that I would like to share. In my course of work I realise that there are people who do not know their addresses. These are usually the elderly or maybe foreign tenants.

Don't get me wrong. They know how to get home. They know their block number. They know their unit number. But they don't know the address. What do I mean? Let's say I stay at block 1 at marsiling road street 1.The elderly might say blk 1 marsiling road street 3 cos there is a junction there. Add together the possibility that there may be two block 1 near each other it is entirely possible that the caller either gives wrong address or an invalid address when calling for help.

This does not appear to be an issue cos no one gets lost but it becomes an issue when one tries to call 995 and yet has problems saying the address.

The postal code is unique. Once you say the postal code the block location is known. I would like to suggest that if you have any elderly living alone or any tenants or even people staying at your flat please let them know the postal code as well. Block number is insufficient if the street name is not known or agar agar.

So yeah, just a suggestion. You never know when this info becomes important.

By the way I am using ficitious address in my example.

• Praise 4

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/medical-emergency-dial-995-and-be-prepared-to-do-cpr?xtor=CS3-18

Something else to read about.

By the way, one myth of scdf ambulance. They are dispatched from fire station and not hospitals. But I realise why people think so.

1) it used to be that way until about twenty or so years ago but elderlies might still remember that

2) every time you to go the ane you are likely to see ambulances parked there. How many of you visit fire stations?

Implication is that of you needed an ambulance and you are near a govt hospital you might be thinking why ambulance take so long. Cos they are not responding from the hospital but from the fire station. Those in hospital are just dropping of patients and the paramedics are handing over patients.

• Praise 1

Someone shared this....

I think nowadays only practise chest compressions. No need to give mouth to mouth liao. Havent updated my CPR cert since it expires last year. But that time, already taught chest compressions only if not comfortable with mouth to mouth.

• Praise 3

I think nowadays only practise chest compressions. No need to give mouth to mouth liao. Havent updated my CPR cert since it expires last year. But that time, already taught chest compressions only if not comfortable with mouth to mouth.

Attended a demo late 2017 ....... at least chest compressions
  • Praise 1

i prefer this

but of cos...if you have both songs, staying alive lah 

muahhahaahhaha

I just conducted a training...hahhaa

Edited by RadX
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1