Hyundai IoniQ Hybrid

Yeobt

No complaints so far...

Google for the Hyundai Tucson 1.6T issues, a lot of complaints are due to the DCT gearbox. The 6 speed DCT found in Ioniq hybrid though is a brand new one which was developed for their hybrid, PHEV and electric cars. Edited by Wattokkingu

Google for the Hyundai Tucson 1.6T issues, a lot of complaints are due to the DCT gearbox. The 6 speed DCT found in Ioniq hybrid though is a brand new one which was developed for their hybrid, PHEV and electric cars.

That's the US problem... they have their own exclusive plant in Alabama... our cars come from Korea... which has different gearbox designs...

That's the US problem... they have their own exclusive plant in Alabama... our cars come from Korea... which has different gearbox designs...

Care to share the source of your info? I dun see why different plant will use different type of DCT gearbox. Unless it is a batch problem specific to US made Tucson.

Care to share the source of your info? I dun see why different plant will use different type of DCT gearbox. Unless it is a batch problem specific to US made Tucson.

The DCT design is the same, but the tuning for the gearbox may be different... I am not sure also, but I remembering reading somewhere that there are some differences in the ratios, and also the suspension tuning, etc...

Also the US seems to provide the bulk of complaints cos the US buys more cars than the rest of the world, so the number of complaints may be due to having larger sales units compared to other markets...

Finally, it may also be complaints from people who are simply not used to a DCT...

I'm not saying that the current DCT has no fault, but it seems like it has been pretty reliable...

The DCT design is the same, but the tuning for the gearbox may be different... I am not sure also, but I remembering reading somewhere that there are some differences in the ratios, and also the suspension tuning, etc...

Also the US seems to provide the bulk of complaints cos the US buys more cars than the rest of the world, so the number of complaints may be due to having larger sales units compared to other markets...

Finally, it may also be complaints from people who are simply not used to a DCT...

I'm not saying that the current DCT has no fault, but it seems like it has been pretty reliable...

No need go research Us.

Local kia carens DCT GB also got issue. Sometimes even/odd gear cannot engage. And many dont like the jerkiness when going MSCP

SG so many traffic light, i wonder DCT can last or not..

No need go research Us.

Local kia carens DCT GB also got issue. Sometimes even/odd gear cannot engage. And many dont like the jerkiness when going MSCP

SG so many traffic light, i wonder DCT can last or not..

As I have been saying, the jerkiness in going up MSCP is due to inexperience in handling the gearbox... once you get the hang of it, you won't complain anymore...

As for the Carens DCT, it's not an issue, it's more an expectation... the DCT is controlled by software, which you need to learn... it doesn't always engage the gear you want, cos it's limited... it's the same for all DCTs... and that's also why for the luxury marques, they have 7,8,9 or even 10 forward gears in their DCT gearboxes... the narrow ratios allows the software to predict and correctly gear up or down and the change is smooth due to the narrow ratios... for cheap cars with a 6-speed DCT, the ratios are wider apart and this translates into 'indecision' by the DCT whether to gear up or down, and that's cos the engine speed may be inssufficient to gear up, or too high to gear down... you need to match revs to the gear you want to enter... this is similar to clutching in and then changing gear, and then slowly engaging the clutch... you can't simply drop from 6th gear to 3rd gear in a blink... this is not an auto gearbox... so when the gearbox doesn't engage the gear, it's cos the engine revs are in-between that specified for either gear... it's normal behaviour...

I don't see why the DCT cannot last... it's simply a robotised manual... instead of you depressing the clutch, the gearbox does it for you... it's dual clutch so you can quickly gear up or down... as the gear above and below are already half-engaged... heat is the main issue, and that is generated by the constant gear changes in start-stop traffic... but since we drive so little per trip, it will hardly be an issue... as long as the gearbox is properly cooled, it will be fine...

• Praise 1

Expectation is one of the problems.

Heat seems to be the main concern and some makers are moving away from the dry dct. I hear from some local authorised agents that it has many more repair cases for dct and some models reverted to traditional auto. The dry boxes are likely not suitable for city driving.

• Praise 1

Did a short test drive of this hybrid car yesterday. Externally it may look smaller than Elantra, but the interior space is pretty the same. Rear headroom seems better, leg room also comparable with Elantra. However, easy to bump your head when going into the rear seat. Rear view window view is extremely restricted. Handing wise, I feel the same as Elantra, maybe suspension slightly firmer. The 6 speed DCT behaves quite similar to Elantra as well. Honestly, I could not feel the extra torque from the electric motor when accelerating from standstill.

Edited by Wattokkingu
  • Praise 1

Did a short test drive of this hybrid car yesterday. Externally it may look smaller than Elantra, but the interior space is pretty the same. Rear headroom seems better, leg room also comparable with Elantra. However, easy to bump your head when going into the rear seat. Rear view window view is extremely restricted. Handing wise, I feel the same as Elantra, maybe suspension slightly firmer. The 6 speed DCT behaves quite similar to Elantra as well. Honestly, I could not feel the extra torque from the electric motor when accelerating from standstill.

So what's the price? $118k? or $113k, any early bird discounts?

Strange you didn't feel the torque from the electric motor cos that's one of the plus points of a hybrid as pick up should be fast, effortless and quiet!

• Praise 3

got a brochure at the carpark...

komoco pay ppl to put brochure on cars park at hdb mscp....

it is really a car to fight against the prius...

there is a table stating all the advantage over the prius...

petrol engine more power

hybrid motor more power

lithium ion vs nickel metal hydride 

Strange you didn't feel the torque from the electric motor cos that's one of the plus points of a hybrid as pick up should be fast, effortless and quiet!

feel the torque is so subjective...

for everyone ppl that say didn't feel the torque, there will be another ppl that say the car pick up is fast... 

got a brochure at the carpark...

komoco pay ppl to put brochure on cars park at hdb mscp....

it is really a car to fight against the prius...

there is a table stating all the advantage over the prius...

petrol engine more power

hybrid motor more power

lithium ion vs nickel metal hydride 

feel the torque is so subjective...

for everyone ppl that say didn't feel the torque, there will be another ppl that say the car pick up is fast... 

Torque is actually very easy to feel and more so for a hybrid. 

I drive a diesel and even though it's only 1.5l, the instant torque enables me to take-off from standstill faster than some bigger cc cars but I can't take off faster than a Prius for sure and was left smelling it's butt [laugh] so I'm expecting something similar from this Ioniq and if it's not like that then I don't know how it's going to challenge the Hybrid benchmark which Prius is.

Admittedly torque is not everything but it sure is a major plus point of a hybrid IMO.

• Praise 3

It's definitely quiet. Leng Kee and Alexandra Road on a Sunday afternoon is probably not an ideal place to test the car. Price is abt 119k. Someone posted a picture from their Facebook about the deal, looks they are pricing it to compete with Prius. Edited by Wattokkingu

It's definitely quiet. Leng Kee and Alexandra Road on a Sunday afternoon is probably not an ideal place to test the car. Price is abt 119k. Someone posted a picture from their Facebook about the deal, looks they are pricing it to compete with Prius.

Thks bro for the feedback. Must have increased price then cos few weeks back some guys posted here as $113k+ which I thought was a very competitive price and would have given Prius a run for their money but I'm not sure on $119k though cos that's about $5k-$6k away from the Prius who although listed at a higher price, was going for mid $120k as per a forumer in the Prius thread.

• Praise 3

113 is the soft launch price. Seems like new cars are slightly cheaper before the motor show. Most told me price is going to be higher at motorshow. Not sure if they will really do this if volume is low.

113 is the soft launch price. Seems like new cars are slightly cheaper before the motor show. Most told me price is going to be higher at motorshow. Not sure if they will really do this if volume is low.

They r right. Motorshow promo really CMI.

Think dealer price it higher to buffer to coe spike.

Hope nobody buy then coe drop cui cui.

Haha

• Praise 1

Why doesn't Hyundai just use a torque converter conventional automatic?

Cos the DCT is more fuel efficient... the manufacturers all have to meet more and more stringent fuel consumption figures and emission standards...
↡ Advertisement