Steering wheel vibrating at 90kmh after wheel alignment

Hummer

So I had a wheel alignment issue where the car was drifting to the left. Decided to send it in for wheel alignment and all was well after that.

But noticed a new issue where I was travelling at speeds of about 95 to 100kmh where the steering wheel was vibrating rather strongly. It starts to vibrate at speeds from about 80 onwards. Vibration is most strongly felt at about 100kmh where I can see my watch vibrating.

Proceeded to do high speed wheel balancing where all 4 wheels/tires were done but seems like no difference.

Any idea what else is wrong?

Didn't get any vibration before wheel alignment.

↡ Advertisement

So I had a wheel alignment issue where the car was drifting to the left. Decided to send it in for wheel alignment and all was well after that.

But noticed a new issue where I was travelling at speeds of about 95 to 100kmh where the steering wheel was vibrating rather strongly. It starts to vibrate at speeds from about 80 onwards. Vibration is most strongly felt at about 100kmh where I can see my watch vibrating.

Proceeded to do high speed wheel balancing where all 4 wheels/tires were done but seems like no difference.

you can swap the two rear wheels(with rims) to the front , if the problem goes away, it is likely one of the front tyres that you have moved to the back. 

vibration is usually a tire problem. try @Ct3833 method.

if swapping the tires doesn't help, it could be a bearing problem.

that one is major repair if it is. hope it is not.

do update if you manage to find the cause of the vibration. good opportunity to learn for everyone.

I just wanted to add during the wheel alignment process, the mech swapped my front wheels L-R and R-L as there was uneven wear/tear due to alignment issues. This was when the vibration started. My front tires are new, having run for about 7,000km only.

Rear tires are old, probably left 40% thread and also uneven wear tear.

Thinking if I move the back to front and front to back will resolve the issue.

Replacing rear tire is an option but I am not sure it will resolve or I want to try that as it is expensive and not due yet.

U need to balance ur wheels.

If u are on low profile tires and frequent Bolehland,

Ur wheels may be warped.

Basic wheel balancing usually solves this prob.

• Praise 1

U need to balance ur wheels.

If u are on low profile tires and frequent Bolehland,

Ur wheels may be warped.

Basic wheel balancing usually solves this prob.

Already did high speed wheel balancing.

Like I mentioned, it was OK before I did wheel alignment.

Tires definitely not low profile. 235/55/19

Already did high speed wheel balancing.

Like I mentioned, it was OK before I did wheel alignment.

Tires definitely not low profile. 235/55/19

Did u rotate tyres?

For me whenever I've had a wheel alignment (car pulling slightly one way or another ) or a wheel balancing ( vibration felt through steering wheel ) issue I will have the wheels aligned and balanced at the same time.

Alignment and balancing aren't something which requires regular work unless hit kerb or skid.

I was told to put new tyres at the back and not in the front, if changing only 2 tyres.

Funny.

Wouldn't you want new tyres at the place where they'd have most effect, steering and braking.

speed balancing is a waste of time and money...(Was experiencing same situation long time ago, only to discover the tyre shop only care for profit...not cheap too. Last resolve, tyre tak bagus, rim was not balanced properly) so please check your tyre and rims...not to forget to check your driving rod and bearing as well.

Edited by Jq1988
  • Praise 1

speed balancing is a waste of time and money...(Was experiencing same situation long time ago, only to discover the tyre shop only care for profit...not cheap too. Last resolve, tyre tak bagus, rim was not balanced properly) so please check your tyre and rims...not to forget to check your driving rod and bearing as well.

yes everybody knows how to replace tires and not everybody knows how to align and not everybody know tires need to be aligned after the change!

Tires are the most important part on any vehicle especially rainy days.

Edited by Jtb

sharing my similar experience, for my case it was a hub centric ring or rim cone, can't exactly remember which as it was long ago, but it fell/came out from one rim when they were taken off for rotation & balancing,

The person/worker handling the wheel didn't notice or probably forgot to put it back when mounting the wheel. the result was heavy vibration felt in steering only at high speed above 90-100km/h.

spend $$ going for high speed balancing and realignment but didn't solve the issue, eventually when take off wheels to  rebalance, realised the missing piece in the wheel, replaced it and problem solved (at least in my case).

• Praise 3

Oh .... I know.

You need to do front wheel balancing lor.

Or tyres swollen lor.

• Praise 1

You should go back to the tyre shop and recheck, last time I did wheel balancing, similar thing happen, apparently one of the weight on one of the wheel came off, they put it back and problem solved.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Funny.

Wouldn't you want new tyres at the place where they'd have most effect, steering and braking.

New tires at the back to prevent fish tail Or skid which often result in loss of control
↡ Advertisement