X'mas spirit is still alive - faith in humanity restored

Little_prince

15397850_120300001053265393_475925779_o. Tour agency absconds with hard-earned elderly ladies’ money; HK travel platform & budget airline step in

December 9, 2016

It's a jolly good Friday for these four ladies.

jeanette-bw-2z7ty1pejd8d01jfidsf0g.jpg

Jeanette Tan

Four elderly ladies — one a cleaner, the rest retirees.

Some S$2,400 in hard-earned savings per person, paid to a travel agency for an long and eagerly-anticipated trip to Hokkaido.

One dream: to see snow for the first time in their lives — and it was crushed on Monday night, the evening they were supposed to leave for their trip, when they received text messages informing them the company, Sky Travel & Tours, had shut down and was ceasing all its services immediately.

It was horrible, the injustice done to 68-year-old Teo Ino Meo and her three friends, so a bunch of young folks at the local branch of Hong Kong online travel activities platform Klook decided to do something about it after reading about their plight in The Straits Times.

Within a day, they tracked Teo, a widow, down, thanks to a Facebook user who supposedly chanced upon a post on Facebook. On Friday morning, the agency, together with local budget carrier Scoot, met up with the four ladies to find out what they wanted out of their trip.

And their answer was straightforward: to see snow. That’s it.

“We’ll make arrangements for activities that would fulfil that,” says Marcus Yong, Klook’s regional marketing lead, who was the brains behind the initiative. “And given their age, it’ll be suitable activities that give them a nice leisurely experience.”

Klook announced in a subsequent Facebook post on Friday that they will be making their trip happen, all expenses paid, in collaboration with Scoot, which will cover their flights — at an agreed date of either end-February or early March:

Good Christmas vibes all around — even if the four ladies will be fulfilling their wish next year.

A round of beer for everyone involved:

glad that the poor old lady managed to have her dream fufillled.

i have a granny too. i felt so bad for her when i read that.

some of these travel agencies owner really deserved to be hanged by the balls.

#FaithInHumanityRestored

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

to abscond with old people hard earned money is really jeiark.

haiz....

kudos to individuals and corporates that rendered that kind service.

God bless them.

• Praise 6

Provided it covers travel agent insolvency

That's the main reason I always buy travel insurance and make sure coverage is adequate.
  • Praise 4

That's the main reason I always buy travel insurance and make sure coverage is adequate.

For travel agency insolvency cover, the policy must be bought upon purchase of travel package.

No point buying adequately at the wrong timing.

• Praise 1

Whether or not it's a commercial or humanitarian decision but it's still Great gesture by scoot.

I'm just happy to see that the old lady won't be disappointed and miss her trip of a lifetime

• Praise 1

For travel agency insolvency cover, the policy must be bought upon purchase of travel package.

No point buying adequately at the wrong timing.

Hmmm, travel insurance cover not only insolvency, it covers many things as well.    I even claimed once with camera spoil during trip. 

I always buy for a piece of mind even though most of my trips are free and easy.  I don't know why will I kena rob, fall ill, hospitalised or met with any unforesee circumstances during my trip.

Me too.

Edited by Dleodleo

Hmmm, travel insurance cover not only insolvency, it covers many things as well.    I even claimed once with camera spoil during trip. 

I always buy for a piece of mind even though most of my trips are free and easy.  I don't know why will I kena rob, fall ill, hospitalised or met with any unforesee circumstances during my trip.

I know as i am in the business of underwriting risk.

If 1 buy a travel insurance w/o travel agent insolvency, travel agent close shop also LL suck thumb.

There are webby now to do the necessary comparison in terms of feature and pricing.

To me, what's important are not all this small little thing, it is medic evac which could be million dollar.

• Praise 1

I know as i am in the business of underwriting risk.

If 1 buy a travel insurance w/o travel agent insolvency, travel agent close shop also LL suck thumb.

There are webby now to do the necessary comparison in terms of feature and pricing.

To me, what's important are not all this small little thing, it is medic evac which could be million dollar.

Wow!  You are a underwriter ya.

Next time anything about insurance claim must ask you. wahahahahahha

Wow!  You are a underwriter ya.

Next time anything about insurance claim must ask you. wahahahahahha

I am not underwriter lah.

I am Finance guy in insurance company.

I am glad to hear that they made the initiative to make her happy. Christmas is generally a festive season but unfortunately in my neighborhood it is also the time that break ins happen the most. I read a blog that explained some of the different types of home security system ( http://optimumsecurity.ca/uncategorized/types-of-home-security-systems/ ). I thought of getting a good home security camera this Christmas. 

pls do share your decision and outcome of the cam .  

I went to NPP reported afew times but their comments were : even with the cam , they also have problem to 

catch the thief . 

• Praise 3

Which insurance company is most anal when it comes to medishield claim?

No idea.

I am in the business of underwriting non-life related risk

↡ Advertisement