New Kia Niro Hybrid

Aukang

Think i will trade in my 2014 sorento for this. Wat u guys think? Main reason can save alot on petrol

But you lose a lot upfront on the depre of your Sorento
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Think i will trade in my 2014 sorento for this. Wat u guys think? Main reason can save alot on petrol

Can u live w the major space compromise?

Btw, what's ur FC on the petrol Sorento?

test driven niro today - didn't feel as urgent, or did i not floor it. gear change in manual mode not as fast as i know dsg / dct. but like the silent cabin, though can hear engine revving abit louder / intrusive..

overall feel not high drivin position like suv, more to hatch..

think i maybe used to suv drivin height after few yrs of drivin one..

Edited by Fuelsaver

Almost all hybrid are like tat.

So u need to do ur sums if hybrid helps u save petrol substantial enough to offset low parf.

For my case, i drive near 30k km a year, so hybrid is a no brainer for me

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi, i was very interested in the Niro.

with the very low PARF rebate, does it means the resell value of hybrid cars are very bad?

Yes and No.

Yes it is low

No becos in the 1st place, u r already paying lesser. You need to think that this car would cost 140k if there isnt CEVS rebate.

Of coz, if u look at absolute monetary terms and resale, yes hybrid isnt the best in the market

If u factor in "upfront" savings and cost saving from fuel, ur low resale price is just a computation of your lower upfront buy price minus away monthly savings accumulated.

Hmmm...

Not sure if i phrase it correctly..

The PARF rebate is almost zero... not very economical finally...

I look at it this way for my current SUV - renew coe 5 yrs = forfeit parf 9k + 25k, additional rd tax for 2.0 = 1.2k, wear n tear replacement = 2.5k (batt, rubber, belts, shocks, control arms), no assurance of other components not giving way due to high mileage. So at least 7.5k depre. If next 5 yrs still need to drive then get another used with anticipated higher depre than new + unforeseen parts replacement.

If I get another new ride with better fc at say up to 10k depre that with hybrid of fc 18kml. Fuel consumption over next 5 yrs reduced over $10k diff based on 20k km per yr with fuel price at $2/l. Not to mention lower rd tax n warranty for next 5yrs. If able to budget for hybrid, I think that should b a better decision to make.

I arrived at this conclusion after sorting out my thought about whether to renew or to buy new. Although have budget, still feel pinched..

Yes and No.

Yes it is low

No becos in the 1st place, u r already paying lesser. You need to think that this car would cost 140k if there isnt CEVS rebate.

Of coz, if u look at absolute monetary terms and resale, yes hybrid isnt the best in the market

If u factor in "upfront" savings and cost saving from fuel, ur low resale price is just a computation of your lower upfront buy price minus away monthly savings accumulated.

Hmmm...

Not sure if i phrase it correctly..

Resale value may be subjective - of sell to dealer, no matter what make also not sellable. Popular ones - too many; what makes u think can sell? So sell lower for better chance. Unpopular / problem makes no need talk. But for hybrid surely reason will be low paper. Then dealer tells next buyer don't look at paper, look at fuel saving n quiet drive, build quality, can use for uber etc..

With hybrid cars priced near to higher spec bnb cars, I think govt may be trying to promote this, given it has survived over the years when other "greener" solution of cng died down n electric cars still having some yrs for maturity, probably due to economic concerns n lack of adequate infrastructure n cost of it

Hi, i was very interested in the Niro.

with the very low PARF rebate, does it means the resell value of hybrid cars are very bad?

Test fire at used car marts

The PARF rebate is almost zero... not very economical finally...

I am also considering the Niro and hybrids in generals so have some thoughts on the above idea.

My take on cars with PARF is this, having a low PARF rebate is not entirely bad. In the first place, you are getting more back because you had paid more ARF in the first place.

Comparing this:

1) Regular cars - pay 20K ARF get back 11K in PARF, you lose 9K

2) hybrid, low PARF cars - pay 5K ARF get back 2.5k in PARF, you lose 2.5k

The only disadvantage I can imagine is poor resale value before 10years cos of low paper value. However, for regular bread and butter cars, the PARF is not that high to begin with, so difference is not that great, perhaps a few Ks.

What do you all think about the above?

I agree.

People who keep harping on higher parf really weird.

Higher parf equals higher ARF paid.

Lower parf equals lower ARF paid.

Simple math.

The focus should purely be on depreciation .

For me. The niro is a no brainer.

But pls. When u buy niro. Consider driving for 10 years.

Then all the depreciation calculations and comparisons will make sense

I am also considering the Niro and hybrids in generals so have some thoughts on the above idea.

My take on cars with PARF is this, having a low PARF rebate is not entirely bad. In the first place, you are getting more back because you had paid more ARF in the first place.

Comparing this:

1) Regular cars - pay 20K ARF get back 11K in PARF, you lose 9K

2) hybrid, low PARF cars - pay 5K ARF get back 2.5k in PARF, you lose 2.5k

The only disadvantage I can imagine is poor resale value before 10years cos of low paper value. However, for regular bread and butter cars, the PARF is not that high to begin with, so difference is not that great, perhaps a few Ks.

What do you all think about the above?

Having said the above, I feel the Niro does have some concerns.

1) At current prices, its a 11k per annum depreciation car. Yes, there should be some savings based on FC but it depends on the mileage. Perhaps if its a more established make, like Honda/Toyota, the pricing can be better justified.

2) This is KIA's first hybrid? As such, the reliability and servicing costs poses some unknowns.

Edited by Onizuka_eiji
↡ Advertisement