New Kia Niro Hybrid

Aukang

@Triumsg

Hi Everyone,

Having own the car for more then 4 years. Here are my thoughts. I am sure everyone who owns the car will have different opinions. Still very happy with decision. Very happy with C&C servicing. Bought a new servicing  package, all the way to 5 years, that is up to the end of 5 years warranty. Fuel consumption between 18 to 19 km per litre. Items replaced under warranty during the last 4 years, 1 front door handle, boot opening button, 1 side mirror motor. 1 front door rubber lining( replaced free although wear and tear). also replaced front left signal bulb. The steering rack was replaced twice because of a clicking noise, only after multiple turns to the left during parking and as you are straightening out with multple turns to the right, you will hear and feel a click on the steering. I believe they are aware of the issue. The noise and click is back, but I will only complain before the end of warranty. Not a really big issue , My son when he drives, he can't sense it at all. Maybe , I am more sensitive to unusual noise.

I have 225/45/ 18 inch wheels, so noise acceptable. A lot depends on the road surface. 

Moving forward maybe in 1 or 2 years. I hope to own an EV, Ioiniq 5 or Kia EV6. But I am quite skeptical about the charging infrastructure, with respect to the availability of fast and ultrafast charging.

Cheers, guys.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

@nirofan Thanks for the comprehensive update!

Just completed my 1st service - 922 km on the 1st tank of petrol with 2 bars to go .. 

Calculated after very careful n gradual acceleration - 24 km/l ...

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Triumsg said:

@nirofan Thanks for the comprehensive update!

Just completed my 1st service - 922 km on the 1st tank of petrol with 2 bars to go .. 

Calculated after very careful n gradual acceleration - 24 km/l ...

Diesel?

On 8/25/2021 at 11:57 AM, nirofan said:

@Triumsg

Hi Everyone,

Having own the car for more then 4 years. Here are my thoughts. I am sure everyone who owns the car will have different opinions. Still very happy with decision. Very happy with C&C servicing. Bought a new servicing  package, all the way to 5 years, that is up to the end of 5 years warranty. Fuel consumption between 18 to 19 km per litre. Items replaced under warranty during the last 4 years, 1 front door handle, boot opening button, 1 side mirror motor. 1 front door rubber lining( replaced free although wear and tear). also replaced front left signal bulb. The steering rack was replaced twice because of a clicking noise, only after multiple turns to the left during parking and as you are straightening out with multple turns to the right, you will hear and feel a click on the steering. I believe they are aware of the issue. The noise and click is back, but I will only complain before the end of warranty. Not a really big issue , My son when he drives, he can't sense it at all. Maybe , I am more sensitive to unusual noise.

I have 225/45/ 18 inch wheels, so noise acceptable. A lot depends on the road surface. 

Moving forward maybe in 1 or 2 years. I hope to own an EV, Ioiniq 5 or Kia EV6. But I am quite skeptical about the charging infrastructure, with respect to the availability of fast and ultrafast charging.

Cheers, guys.

I drive the 2017 Niro hybrid. Though have been quite satisfied with it for the gas consumption (around 17-19 km/L) as well as its NVH levels, I had so far a number of reliability issues with the car. Exterior door handles (driver + pax) buttons came off, steering rack replaced, both rear door rubber seals torn and replaced, boot pull down hand grip broken and replaced, but the most terrifying experience while driving was the brakes seemed to be applied on their own with red warning msg on cluster. Was advised by C&C Kia service ctr to drive car slowly to their w/shop at Alexandra. There their w/shop personnel took half a day trying to identify fault, suspected to be the Anti Lock module. No stock, they informed me and car had to be "impounded" pending order and delivery of part from KIA Korea. Car was repaired and released to me after several days. Till today I still have the persistent brake squeals at low speeds though I had this problem reported quite soon after first delivery of the car but seems problem has not been sorted out and I do not want to waist time for further rectifications, just bear with it!

Good luck to you Niro owning guys with your cars. Enjoy and have fun!

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Drove a KIA NIRO Hyrbrid for less than 2 yrs. One day after a major servicing, the car became "dead" in the morning.
Don't respond to remote key. Only way is to manual unlock using physical key and press the 12v batt reset button in the car.

Cut long story short. Sent for checks and after weeks of in and out of workshop, diagnostic and testing by clueless KIA workshop... even though, according to diagnostic checks and reports by their software that the 12v battery is good. They changed the 12v battery.

It cost 1.6K and after haggling they gave me some discount and costs is reduced to 1.4k.

Not so sure if I am the only one facing this issue. Seems to KiA I am the odd one out.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, Kohmax said:

Hi

Drove a KIA NIRO Hyrbrid for less than 2 yrs. One day after a major servicing, the car became "dead" in the morning.
Don't respond to remote key. Only way is to manual unlock using physical key and press the 12v batt reset button in the car.

Cut long story short. Sent for checks and after weeks of in and out of workshop, diagnostic and testing by clueless KIA workshop... even though, according to diagnostic checks and reports by their software that the 12v battery is good. They changed the 12v battery.

It cost 1.6K and after haggling they gave me some discount and costs is reduced to 1.4k.

Not so sure if I am the only one facing this issue. Seems to KiA I am the odd one out.

1.4K for 12v battery!?

Neutral Newbie

@Evo5sg yupe... apparently according to KiA. this is not your normal 12v batt in standard petrol car. this is lithium ion batt. but still it is on the very high end in terms of the cost to pay. for me at least. 

@Evo5sg  Yes my car is coming to 3 yrs and also have the same issue and KIA quote me 1.6k as well, not covered under warranty WTH. I choose not to replace and do manual lock overnight instead. 

I once took Ioniq taxi and the driver also share the same issue. Looks like it happens to both Hyundai and kia as they share the same hybrid architecture.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:56 AM, Kohmax said:

@Evo5sg yupe... apparently according to KiA. this is not your normal 12v batt in standard petrol car. this is lithium ion batt. but still it is on the very high end in terms of the cost to pay. for me at least. 

Looks like I will give the car a miss.

younger child was looking at the car to replace my stream in 5 years time.

On 11/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, Evo5sg said:

1.4K for 12v battery!?

C&C,what you expect.?They treating Kia Owners like Mercedes Benz Owner,that is why i never bought a Kia after my Brother's K3 after COE finish.

Neutral Newbie

@Evo5sg honestly car not really that bad but until the 12v batt and their servicing workshop attitude. but then most of them are terrible in attitude anyways. lesson learnt is to ask about how the 12v batt is built for EV/hybrid and warranty + replacement cost. not just kia brand lar. 

I paid the price for being ignorant. 

Neutral Newbie

Planning to buy a used Niro with 3.5 years left. Stated miles is around 120k km.

Anything I should take note of?

Tried to ask C&C for latest servicing and warranty records but they are unable to provide it at all.

Really like the feel to drive it and the FC is good because I drive a lot daily. Most importantly I'm worried about potential hybrid battery failure. Not sure if anyone can share their experience on battery failure. Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement