Steering wheel issue on my 2009 cerato forte

Xmen2

I have tried to search for similar issue in this forum, but couldn't find any.  So I decide to start a new thread, hope someone can advice me.

The issue with my 2009 Kia Cerato Forte steering wheel is when travelling at highway speed (eg. 100km/h), whenever i need to make a slight adjustment to the steering wheel (eg. 5 degrees to the right), the steering wheel seems to stuck, and I need to use a bit of strengthen to turn it.  This has nothing to do with the steering wheel getting heavier at higher speed.  I don't encounter the same issue when travelling at low speed.

I think my car's steering wheel is electric powered, as when I open the bonnet, I don't see steering fluid reservoir.

Anyone has any idea what's wrong with the steering wheel on my car?

↡ Advertisement

I changed my car battery recently and this issue disappear for a month already. Hope it continues to be so.

Before that, it was exhibiting this syndrome few years back already, especially heavy electricity consumption is used during drive, i.e. headlights, wipers, radio, aircon, etc etc all ON.

Mine is a French car with its own eccentrics. So, not sure about your kimchi.

Edited by Kangadrool

I have tried to search for similar issue in this forum, but couldn't find any. So I decide to start a new thread, hope someone can advice me.

The issue with my 2009 Kia Cerato Forte steering wheel is when travelling at highway speed (eg. 100km/h), whenever i need to make a slight adjustment to the steering wheel (eg. 5 degrees to the right), the steering wheel seems to stuck, and I need to use a bit of strengthen to turn it. This has nothing to do with the steering wheel getting heavier at higher speed. I don't encounter the same issue when travelling at low speed.

I think my car's steering wheel is electric powered, as when I open the bonnet, I don't see steering fluid reservoir.

Kangadrool said his problem was resolved after replacing battery, you may want to ask battery shop to do a battery check, at the same time check the alternatior charging capability. They would not charge for such job usually. Edited by Ct3833

I have tried to search for similar issue in this forum, but couldn't find any.  So I decide to start a new thread, hope someone can advice me.

The issue with my 2009 Kia Cerato Forte steering wheel is when travelling at highway speed (eg. 100km/h), whenever i need to make a slight adjustment to the steering wheel (eg. 5 degrees to the right), the steering wheel seems to stuck, and I need to use a bit of strengthen to turn it.  This has nothing to do with the steering wheel getting heavier at higher speed.  I don't encounter the same issue when travelling at low speed.

2009 cerato is on electric power steering? If so, it could be the electrical module. But to my knowledge, when your car is moving. It shouldn't be that heavy. probably something else inside is stuck.

Not heavy. It feels there something resisting when you try to steer, not smooth... very difficult to describe in words. Something like the assistance is on off on off, but without totally being cut off.

My case, I noticed is it occurs when heavy usage of electricity. But, it's also an intermittent problem.

After I changed to a fresh battery, so far never experience it for 1 month already.

Could be the clock spring going to kaput also???

2009 cerato is on electric power steering? If so, it could be the electrical module. But to my knowledge, when your car is moving. It shouldn't be that heavy. probably something else inside is stuck.

Not heavy. It feels there something resisting when you try to steer, not smooth... very difficult to describe in words. Something like the assistance is on off on off, but without totally being cut off.

My case, I noticed is it occurs when heavy usage of electricity. But, it's also an intermittent problem.

After I changed to a fresh battery, so far never experience it for 1 month already.

Could be the clock spring going to kaput also???

Yours is insufficient power supply. But it may not be the case for TS.

It's probably the universal joint along the steering column. It may be worn.

0996b43f8020175d.gif

It's the joint that connects A & B.

You most likely have to remove the plastic covers to be able to see it. The joint needs replacement if it's worn out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Bro Kangadrool, u nailed it, it is difficult to describe. This issue happen to me intermittently only when I drive at high speed. I changed my car battery quite recently, about 2 months ago, but this issue didn't go away.

Bro Watwheels, thanks for the powerful diagram.

Think I will discuss with the workshop during my next maintenance service, which is due soon. Clock spring, alternator charging, the joint (show them the diagram), will ask them to check all these.

Food for thought, is light steering good when you are going fast? I see it might be a safety feature. Mine is also a 09 forte, have same issue but nothing serious as it sort of tighten the steering abit only, makes me concentrate more when I go fast or as a reminder that I am going fast. 

Food for thought, is light steering good when you are going fast? I see it might be a safety feature. 

This one you have to ask a heavy truck driver.i also want to know. [:p]

Food for thought, is light steering good when you are going fast? I see it might be a safety feature. Mine is also a 09 forte, have same issue but nothing serious as it sort of tighten the steering abit only, makes me concentrate more when I go fast or as a reminder that I am going fast.

Bro. Didn't see u online for quite a while! How have u been? Sorry to OT

If it's a safety feature, I think you must be careful and quickly get used to it. That 5 degree to left or right during high speed can avoid you from hitting any rocks or hard objects just when you spotted them..

Bro. Didn't see u online for quite a while! How have u been? Sorry to OT

Wao, I am touched that you remembered me. Things is going great, hope it will remain the same throughout the next year. How about you?

Hi,

I'm drive an Elantra... Just solved the infamous clocking sound! Now my steering is suffering from steering rubbing noise.. when to Kosovo and several workshops... all say must change steering motor which cost 3-4K... any one knows of any workshops that can repair??? Urgent!!!

Hi,

I'm drive an Elantra... Just solved the infamous clocking sound! Now my steering is suffering from steering rubbing noise.. when to Kosovo and several workshops... all say must change steering motor which cost 3-4K... any one knows of any workshops that can repair??? Urgent!!!

elantra is quite new isnt it? why dont go back to komoco agent?