Steering wheel issue on my 2009 cerato forte

Xmen2

Hi,

I'm drive an Elantra... Just solved the infamous clocking sound! Now my steering is suffering from steering rubbing noise.. when to Kosovo and several workshops... all say must change steering motor which cost 3-4K... any one knows of any workshops that can repair??? Urgent!!!

Can the rubbing sound be heard from outside the car? If yes then its not the MPS which is below the steering wheel..
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros,

Need help on my Kia Cerato steering wheel Knocking/Clocking/Tok tok sound issue when I’m making a right or left turn, usually is on small road or carpark after driving for more than 45mins

1) Normally I would need to drive about 3 times per day. Home to work, 1 or 2 times during working hours and after work

2) For Morning - No knocking sound issue when driving from home to office - distance about 15km, time 30mins

3) During Working Hours - No knocking sound issue, usually will need to drive 1 or 2 times for appointment. distance 15-25km. With few hours engine off inbetween

4) After Work - Drove about 15km, time 30mins to point A, turn off the engine for about 15mins, drove another 30km, time 45mins to an hour from point A to B depending on peak hour traffic. Usually will be taking highway for first 80% and after exiting to small road, the knocking sound on the steering wheel will be quite loud when making either a left or right turn and it is worst during parking where you need to make a lot of turning on the steering wheel.

The weird part is after I’ve parked my car and turn off the engine for like 15-20mins and try to start back, the knocking sound can only be heard during the initial turning of steering wheel when exiting the carpark lot. No knocking sound can be heard for the next 15mins of driving with left or right turn...

This has been monitor for at least 2 weeks where morning is always fine and the sound only comes in the evening base on my usual driving distance or route. I’ve also visited the workshop but they are still troubleshooting to figure out what might be the actual cause. I’m quite confidence that the knocking sound is from the right side of the car, driver side.

Thanks in advance for any advise on this issue!

Hi Bros,

Need help on my Kia Cerato steering wheel Knocking/Clocking/Tok tok sound issue when Iâm making a right or left turn, usually is on small road or carpark after driving for more than 45mins

1) Normally I would need to drive about 3 times per day. Home to work, 1 or 2 times during working hours and after work

2) For Morning - No knocking sound issue when driving from home to office - distance about 15km, time 30mins

3) During Working Hours - No knocking sound issue, usually will need to drive 1 or 2 times for appointment. distance 15-25km. With few hours engine off inbetween

4) After Work - Drove about 15km, time 30mins to point A, turn off the engine for about 15mins, drove another 30km, time 45mins to an hour from point A to B depending on peak hour traffic. Usually will be taking highway for first 80% and after exiting to small road, the knocking sound on the steering wheel will be quite loud when making either a left or right turn and it is worst during parking where you need to make a lot of turning on the steering wheel.

The weird part is after Iâve parked my car and turn off the engine for like 15-20mins and try to start back, the knocking sound can only be heard during the initial turning of steering wheel when exiting the carpark lot. No knocking sound can be heard for the next 15mins of driving with left or right turn...

This has been monitor for at least 2 weeks where morning is always fine and the sound only comes in the evening base on my usual driving distance or route. Iâve also visited the workshop but they are still troubleshooting to figure out what might be the actual cause. Iâm quite confidence that the knocking sound is from the right side of the car, driver side.

Thanks in advance for any advise on this issue!

Two things:

1) Could be the famous issue of this generation Cerato and Avante. The steering coupling has worn out and needs replacement.

2) The steering collapsible column could be in need of lubrication. My Avante has got some kind of knocking feel to it, not a noise but feel when turning right. But after purging some grease into the collapsible shaft, compress and extend the shaft to spread the grease evenly within, the steering when turning is butter smooth.

Hope they help.

Edited by Heartbreakid

Neutral Newbie

Two things:

1) Could be the famous issue of this generation Cerato and Avante. The steering coupling has worn out and needs replacement.

2) The steering collapsible column could be in need of lubrication. My Avante has got some kind of knocking feel to it, not a noise but feel when turning right. But after purging some grease into the collapsible shaft, compress and extend the shaft to spread the grease evenly within, the steering when turning is butter smooth.

Hope they help.

Hi Bro,

Thanks for your advise. I realized this knocking sound happened only when I’m traveling for more than 45mins with a front passenger.. no issue when I’m driving alone traveling same distance and route..

Anyone has experience this situation before? Thanks

↡ Advertisement