Unhygienic food preparation and service practices

Yeobt

i more chin chye lah

cook never wash hands after going toilet never mind

as long as my plate of food is not the first one he is preparing immediately after going to the toilet

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Those food court should practice like in Japan where you buy a voucher from a vending machine and then pass it to the counter as this reduce the bacteria from handling of money.

• Praise 2

there was once a woman who was preparing my mee rebus, uses her glove protected hand to collect my money.

she then uses the same glove protected hand to grab noodle for me.  :a-confused:

Like i have mentioned before, this is very common in most food stall de. Lol.

wah... this thread read already seriously suddenly appreciate home-cooked food a lot more  [laugh]

Unhygienic practices have been around for ever.

A friend to me that mainland Chinese very often do not wash hands after using toilets. Si bey scary... cos nowadays most service staff at food courts and hawker centres are mainland Chinese.

And yes, wearing gloves is to comply with NEA requirement. They will blame NEA never be specific say touch money with the gloves cannot mah...

I learnt during NS better not to complain about the cooks. You never know what they'll do to your food.

Apart from unhygienic preparations, what would you do if you see cockroaches (those small small ones, not the giant thumb-sized ones hor) running around at the store when queuing up for food?

• Praise 1

So just curious, how many of us, kiss our dollar bills passionately or keep them in our most intimate places .....

Paper money can reportedly carry more germs than a household toilet. And bills are a hospitable environment for gross microbes: viruses and bacteria can live on most surfaces for about 48 hours, but paper money can reportedly transport a live flu virus for up to 17 days.

By analyzing genetic material on $1 bills, the NYU researchers identified 3,000 types of bacteria in all—many times more than in previous studies that examined samples under a microscope. Even so, they could identify only about 20% of the non-human DNA they found because so many microorganisms haven't yet been cataloged in genetic data banks.

Dirty money: There are more germs on a £1 coin than a TOILET SEAT - but only 20% of people wash their hands after handling them
  • Europe-wide MasterCard study found that two thirds of people think handling money is unhygienic but only 1 in 5 Europeans wash their hands
  • More germs can be found on a £1 coin than on a toilet seat
  • Men are more likely to avoid cleaning their hands than women and Britons are the worst in Europe for not washing after handling coins or notes
  • People living in France and Hungary are among the most aware of how filthy money can be, but also more likely not to wash their hands
  • One psychologist thinks people find it hard to associate negative traits such as ill health with money, which is linked with an individual's success

Perhaps it is true, money is indeed dirty after all.

• Praise 3

In some food establishments in boleh lands also same. But, hate this system as it's troublesome and inflexible. Works well for "fixed" menus with no flexibility....

Cash/EZ Link cards should be the best next alternative, but everyone has their own ideas - with prepaid card like Kopitiam, dunno what cashless scanning trials in some markets recently flopped (as expected).....

Then again, it won't be popular with small time hawkers as costs will increase and more importantly cannot "run tax". [laugh]

Most importantly for foodies is, food must be delicious!!! Who really cares cash over gloves over food.... The root cause is food handling methods, not payment methods as food vouchers also can transmit hoh liao over if patrons sneeze, dig nose and take the vouchers to toilets, etc etc.

Those food court should practice like in Japan where you buy a voucher from a vending machine and then pass it to the counter as this reduce the bacteria from handling of money.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Not perhaps true, but confirm true. Another item dirtier than the toilet is the smartphone screen.

true. true. one reason I don't buy 2nd phone, coz most people will use their phone doing cake business in the toilet.
  • Praise 3

true. true. one reason I don't buy 2nd phone, coz most people will use their phone doing cake business in the toilet.

Like this many 2nd hand things cannot buy liao, cause you dont how the previous owner used the item lo. Lol.

Most importantly for foodies is, food must be delicious!!! Who really cares cash over gloves over food.... The root cause is food handling methods, not payment methods as food vouchers also can transmit hoh liao over if patrons sneeze, dig nose and take the vouchers to toilets, etc etc.

Ditto on food must be delicious.

In China, there is simple solution.  Seller will put QR code next to cash machine.  Juz scan the QR code with either wechat or Alipay, keep in the amount & done.

• Praise 1

Ditto on food must be delicious.

In China, there is simple solution.  Seller will put QR code next to cash machine.  Juz scan the QR code with either wechat or Alipay, keep in the amount & done.

Singapore now also got these things. 

Dash (by standchart and singtel)

Android pay

apple pay

visa/mastercard paywave

• Praise 1

Android pay

apple pay

visa/mastercard paywave

I believe all these requires POS.  Right?

Wechat & alipay juz need mobile.  Even taxi driver also accept wechat pay.

• Praise 1

Android pay

apple pay

visa/mastercard paywave

I wonder how many people uses these payment mode stated above? 

I believe all these requires POS.  Right?

Wechat & alipay juz need mobile.  Even taxi driver also accept wechat pay.

Technically dash can also be done using mobile only.

DBS also has a similar service called paylah.

But so far, I only see it integrated with the POS.

Dunno but I always use whenever possible. Hate coins and small change.

Plus I can track my expenditure better with this.

Me.

I always use this whenever its available.

visa/mastercard paywave

Dont know if you would do what i just did.

i cannot take it anymore. i just went to complain to the supervisor of a popular eatery that his male staff (server) who is keeping a long thumb nail had his nail soup into my bowl of bee hoon soup while holding to serve on my table.  :veryangry:

how could this be happened at all... [crazy]

Well done, I'm sure your food will be very hygienically prepared from now on.

And then they'll spit in it. :D

• Praise 3

Many fella collect and handle the food again de, esp those noodle stall. Saw them wearing glove to handle the noodle, but also use the same hand to collect money! Thinking whats the point of wearing glove lo? :blink:

Keep the hand clean?

• Praise 1

Sigh.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Sometimes it is because of efficiency and costing that leads to unhygienic food preparation and service.

Suppose some of the pre prepared foodstuffs come from a factory elsewhere. Flies lay eggs into the delicious foodstuffs. Flies hatch.

Pikture of Hamsun drosophila Melanogaster gets send to NEA or Twitter to #guesswhere.

Pubic outcry.

So seriously, local merchants please check yourselves. Other 'sabo' us thru you.

This is the only heads up you are gonna get.

You know my veracity.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1