KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

Stinger GT and Arteon would be a closer fight, since pricing not far off.. though one is 3.3 v6 twinturbo while another is 2.0T highly tuned turbo. Performance wise Stinger GT would edge ahead.

Stinger 2.0T = Audi A5 Sportback 2.0T 

Stinger GT 3.3 v6 = Audi S5 Sportback 3.0T 

Both Audis are $80-90K more than the Stinger counterpart  [laugh] That's why I've said Stinger occupies a very unique position in SG context.

i think i said the same thing a few pages ago and u replied me the same thing as well haha

↡ Advertisement

i think i said the same thing a few pages ago and u replied me the same thing as well haha

Hahaha sorry about that  [laugh]

On a side note, myself and others are noticing some small ownership gripes..

1. Creaking flexing sounds when low speeds over bumpy/ribbed roads.. problem is the rubber seals around the doors. Someone had it fixed, not sure if it will return

2. Every time the start-stop system comes on, the L side headlights will flicker - quite obvious when you're stopping at a junction (but I usually have it turned)

So that people cannot anyhow say here only got positive reviews  :D

Hahaha sorry about that  [laugh]

On a side note, myself and others are noticing some small ownership gripes..

1. Creaking flexing sounds when low speeds over bumpy/ribbed roads.. problem is the rubber seals around the doors. Someone had it fixed, not sure if it will return

2. Every time the start-stop system comes on, the L side headlights will flicker - quite obvious when you're stopping at a junction (but I usually have it turned)

So that people cannot anyhow say here only got positive reviews  :D

rubber seal creaks? seems like they inherited BMW problems as well, when biermann came over. hahaha

rubber seal creaks? seems like they inherited BMW problems as well, when biermann came over. hahaha

一分錢, 一分

cost cutting come with a price.

• Praise 1

how did you arrive at this conclusion on the Stinger being "still too Korean look"? it's got single eyelids.. perfect nose.. etc?

how does a car look korean, or japanese, or german, or italian, or british or whatever "nationality" for that matter? 

really keen to understand.

but i can tell you. there's no korean look, nor japanese look, nor whatever look. the only thing that has a korean look, is a Korean person itself. 

Take away the Kia badge, there is no way to identify which country or "look" it has.

see this car. what kind of look does it have? Do you know from what car it is and from which country it's from? According to the article, it mimics many design points seen in VW, Hyundai, Ford, Opel etc... it is as generic looking as it can get. So.. can you tell?

attachicon.gifford.jpg

i'm so reminded of these video https://www.alternet.org/food/mcprank-food-snobs-think-theyre-eating-organic-food-its-really-mcdonalds

it shows so-called "experts" on organic food being asked to do a taste test, and they were subconsciously conditioned to believe that this is organic food, when in fact it's just McDonalds.

By the way bro... curious to know what car it is in the photo you posted...

• Praise 1

yeah my 3 series has the same rubber seal mice random squeaks squeaks! every bmw owner will know the solution, gummi pflege [laugh] amd krytox grease.

Seriously considering stinger..... cos my car scrapping feb 2019. just thinking if i should go into more debt since car already considered fully paid (if i renew coe full cash). stinger is a good family car compromise, other alternative is 420i grandcoupe which cost 25K more [dead]

• Praise 1

yeah my 3 series has the same rubber seal mice random squeaks squeaks! every bmw owner will know the solution, gummi pflege [laugh] amd krytox grease.

Seriously considering stinger..... cos my car scrapping feb 2019. just thinking if i should go into more debt since car already considered fully paid (if i renew coe full cash). stinger is a good family car compromise, other alternative is 420i grandcoupe which cost 25K more [dead]

420gc is probably end of life already? maybe discount coming up haha

But on a serious note, the rear seats will be more cramped then stinger, if you are looking to ferry a family of 4 or 5

By the way bro... curious to know what car it is in the photo you posted...

I'm thinking upcoming Ford Fusion or Mondeo  [cool]

4 series is one of my fav car.. no matter what trim it's in, it's so handsome looking, always worthy of a second and third glance.

No money buy 430i GC so I buy Stinger  :D

objectively speaking, the giulia super comes with a 20k premium over the stinger 2.0 and with lesser power, smaller space and lower practicality. rear seats are not as cavernous as the stinger, and conventional boot just not as practical (even though rear bench folds down) as the liftback style of the stinger. no good to haves like ventilated seats, HUD, sunroof, wireless charging too.

where the giulia commands the premium however will be the sharp handling and safety features like blindspot monitoring, rear CTA, forward collision, lane departure etc - iirc these are not in the stinger 2.0 trim. i tested both cars 2-3 times each and the giulia just feels more engaging. i gave other comparables like the Q50, 420gc and XE2.0 a go too, but those were struck off very quickly. not saying that the stinger is a lousy drive, but its sheer size and 260kg extra weight makes a noticeable difference. 

looks and badge/pedigree/snob appeal are subjective, but i do like the stinger better here in every angle for its low and wide presence. for my considerations, i want performance and i need space, so i lean heavily towards stinger since the drive is already good enough to me. 

• Praise 5

The Stinger in my opinion is a geuine effort and issues are minimal or non. It shows the effort and engineering that went into the car. It grows on you the more you drive it. Most cars that I had owned after 3 months is pretty forgettable although its nice. Everytime when I am driving it just amazes me in terms of the balance.

Everytime I look back after a drive its just bring smiles!

• Praise 4

The Stinger in my opinion is a geuine effort and issues are minimal or non. It shows the effort and engineering that went into the car. It grows on you the more you drive it. Most cars that I had owned after 3 months is pretty forgettable although its nice. Everytime when I am driving it just amazes me in terms of the balance.

Everytime I look back after a drive its just bring smiles!

• Praise 3

any problem with the high humps at woodlands checkpoint? 

The lanes at the JB side also quite tight with the cones placed v close to the counters

didn't realize there's a protruding table top at the JB counter and my side mirror got hit :(

The lanes at the JB side also quite tight with the cones placed v close to the counters

didn't realize there's a protruding table top at the JB counter and my side mirror got hit :(

Are you in the chat group? I think got a few of them always go Malaysia one.. should be no problem.

• Praise 1

Are you in the chat group? I think got a few of them always go Malaysia one.. should be no problem.

Good to hear that.

not in chat group, not an owner yet [:p]

still considering and waiting for right time to buy :)

Edited by Asure7

I will never go back via Woodlands checkpoint after my previous AMG GT had a bad "crunch" after clearing a very poorly designed hump with a sharp drop there. I crawled over it, but it didn't help.

That happened during an AMG convoy drive when the coordinating team (Pitcrew) changed from second to first link at the last minute because of supposed adverse traffic conditions. We ended up wasting more time stopping and checking our cars (those of us in the supercar models at least). And with the crazy traffic coming out of Causeway, it's higher risk than Second Link.

Not sure how the Stinger GT will fare, probably not as badly. But in my view, performance cars (apart from super SUVs) should avoid first link. No similar issues with Tuas, that's much better designed.

Edited by Turboflat4

I will never go back via Woodlands checkpoint after my previous AMG GT had a bad "crunch" after clearing a very poorly designed hump with a sharp drop there. I crawled over it, but it didn't help.

That happened during an AMG convoy drive when the coordinating team (Pitcrew) changed from second to first link at the last minute because of supposed adverse traffic conditions. We ended up wasting more time stopping and checking our cars (those of us in the supercar models at least). And with the crazy traffic coming out of Causeway, it's higher risk than Second Link.

Not sure how the Stinger GT will fare, probably not as badly. But in my view, performance cars (apart from super SUVs) should avoid first link. No similar issues with Tuas, that's much better designed.

Mini has less ground clearance than Stinger GT also no issue.

Entire Woodland CIQ exit seems to be spoit by heavy vehicles.

Just to let you know, that huge ass metal hump is gone.
↡ Advertisement