KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

hahah.. unfortunately, no. Had a corolla. But was curious about the Lexus. My SE back then, intro me to the Lexus guy to orientate me on the Lexus and what it means to own a lexus because you owning not just a car , you entering a differnt lifestyle. And that was what BM was trying to create.

yeah.

Try doing it now and the bean counter will ask u how does that "equal, better, faster, cheaper, safer???? "

and wait for the last hurting bit from the boss,

"do u even use your brain and think out loud what you are doing ????" haiz....

How to drive passion and engage on a job when the mere fact of improving the image is considered a worthless endeavor.

Not sure if this happens with the luxury marques... but it does seem to work that way for Wearnes and Renault... the showroom service is one class above any of the Japs and Koreans lar... the way the SE talks and serves also different... they don't seem so tight-fisted regarding the bean counters...

↡ Advertisement

Not sure if this happens with the luxury marques... but it does seem to work that way for Wearnes and Renault... the showroom service is one class above any of the Japs and Koreans lar... the way the SE talks and serves also different... they don't seem so tight-fisted regarding the bean counters...

yeah .. unlike a certain jap brand that adopt the attitude of .. got money buy, my car dont need to test drive cr@p..

I think if you went there before u know which brand I referring to.

• Praise 1

yeah .. unlike a certain jap brand that adopt the attitude of .. got money buy, my car dont need to test drive cr@p..

I think if you went there before u know which brand I referring to.

Kah Motors? I haven't gone there before though...

Wah... you must be rich enough to own the Lexus back then to know this kind of inside news leh... I never heard of this before...

Aiyoh... it's still a Kia... so the marketing mentality from Kia will still be Kia... Hyundai realised that and created Genesis... and then realised belatedly that they need separate dealerships and different approach to market it... but the Stinger still carries the Kia badge and then sits in the same showroom as the rest of the Kia range... a bit difficult to differentiate the showroom experience right? Need a lot of moolah to do what Toyota did to Lexus... and Lexus did not have as keen competition back then... the Euro brands weren't as well made or as reliable... so in sense, Lexus picked the lower hanging fruit first... but for Kia and Genesis... the competition is really hot these days... not so easy to succeed...

I think the intention for Stinger is to create a new performance car, that will elevate the Kia brand to the next level. It is part of market positioning and strengthening of the brand, because most established brands have performance models that sells alongside the normal line-up, in the same showroom. Like Subaru's BRZ/WRX, Honda's Legend/NSX, Nissan's 370Z/GTR. It is never about creating another luxury or sub-brand like Lexus to Toyota. Even Lexus is doing the same with the F performance products, like IS-F. Furthermore, Hyundai-Kia already has the Genesis brand, so it makes little sense for Kia to create another one, which will costs millions just to build the new brand.

Marketing in today's context is not about building another showroom, another brand, and try to sell like what Lexus did years ago. Kia did the right thing by hiring top talents from European brands to revamp the brand perception, design language and product line. The Stinger is part of the plan.

Kia designed the Stinger with a clear mission in mind, a product that will challenge premium products like BMW 4-series and Audi A5 series in terms of performance. Make people stand up and notice the Kia brand.

The proving ground is Nurburgring in Germany, the backyard of BMW and Audi. Invite reputable car reviewers from all over the world and let them try the product on real track. Youtube is littered with great and raving reviews about the products (have not see anyone from SG media invited though LOL). Websites and magazines wrote and talked about the product, and most important, about the Kia brand.

Will the product successful in challenging the BMW or Audi? Maybe not yet, can't be that easy right, with BMW's and Audi's long experience with performance cars.

Will it sell like hot cakes? Maybe too early to tell. It is still a product that target specific group of buyers, people who value and will buy performance cars, which will cost more. Not some buyers of the usual Camry, Accord or Teana, IMHO. For that, Kia has the Optima range, the GT version is particularly sweet.

• Praise 1

I think the intention for Stinger is to create a new performance car, that will elevate the Kia brand to the next level. It is part of market positioning and strengthening of the brand, because most established brands have performance models that sells alongside the normal line-up, in the same showroom. Like Subaru's BRZ/WRX, Honda's Legend/NSX, Nissan's 370Z/GTR. It is never about creating another luxury or sub-brand like Lexus to Toyota. Even Lexus is doing the same with the F performance products, like IS-F. Furthermore, Hyundai-Kia already has the Genesis brand, so it makes little sense for Kia to create another one, which will costs millions just to build the new brand.

Marketing in today's context is not about building another showroom, another brand, and try to sell like what Lexus did years ago. Kia did the right thing by hiring top talents from European brands to revamp the brand perception, design language and product line. The Stinger is part of the plan.

Kia designed the Stinger with a clear mission in mind, a product that will challenge premium products like BMW 4-series and Audi A5 series in terms of performance. Make people stand up and notice the Kia brand.

The proving ground is Nurburgring in Germany, the backyard of BMW and Audi. Invite reputable car reviewers from all over the world and let them try the product on real track. Youtube is littered with great and raving reviews about the products (have not see anyone from SG media invited though LOL). Websites and magazines wrote and talked about the product, and most important, about the Kia brand.

Will the product successful in challenging the BMW or Audi? Maybe not yet, can't be that easy right, with BMW's and Audi's long experience with performance cars.

Will it sell like hot cakes? Maybe too early to tell. It is still a product that target specific group of buyers, people who value and will buy performance cars, which will cost more. Not some buyers of the usual Camry, Accord or Teana, IMHO. For that, Kia has the Optima range, the GT version is particularly sweet.

depends on what u term success and our local term as success.

If by selling cr@p cars in the low 90 and high 80''s range and becoming a money spinner in terms of margin is success, then there is hardly a reason for a halo product.

If getting the support mechanism in place like training the people to be able to trouble shoot, align and consult on a M product design suspension takes time and effort and not willing to invest, then we will continue to see mediocre cars selling massive in the name of meeting volume figures quota for the car manufacturer.

And like all things in SG. we prefer to be an average company with big enough margin so that the distributorship is retain and not rock the boat to create wave and eventually loose it to the manufacturer who suddenly realize that there is tonnes more money to be made if they take back the dealership.

Of course I maybe wrong. 

depends on what u term success and our local term as success.

If by selling cr@p cars in the low 90 and high 80''s range and becoming a money spinner in terms of margin is success, then there is hardly a reason for a halo product.

If getting the support mechanism in place like training the people to be able to trouble shoot, align and consult on a M product design suspension takes time and effort and not willing to invest, then we will continue to see mediocre cars selling massive in the name of meeting volume figures quota for the car manufacturer.

And like all things in SG. we prefer to be an average company with big enough margin so that the distributorship is retain and not rock the boat to create wave and eventually loose it to the manufacturer who suddenly realize that there is tonnes more money to be made if they take back the dealership.

Of course I maybe wrong. 

I am writing based on global view. Local view not important....

Truly agree with your view on what is happening in the motoring scene locally.

But to add on the price range. It is not only happening on mass-market brands, but premium brands as wll.

Selling stripped-down premium brand cars in the region of 110K - 140K-ish and buyers happily snapping up these cars is also the successful trend here in Singapore. Never mind that the products don't justify the experience that the brands should bring in their products....

• Praise 1

The two issues are: our tax structure plus we're mostly brand snobs...

It is OK to be associated or attracted to certain brands, that's what separates products with commodities. What I meant was buyers should not compromise too much features and experience just to get the brand, it defeats the purpose of getting the brand in the first place....
  • Praise 1

It is OK to be associated or attracted to certain brands, that's what separates products with commodities. What I meant was buyers should not compromise too much features and experience just to get the brand, it defeats the purpose of getting the brand in the first place....

I am okey to specs down for basic reason of cost component.

But to dumb specs safety like the airbag , traction control and all the must have essential that is expected is no.

So what is tolerable and specs down?

Assuming we talk about the Stinger

1. Window / factory tint Believe most of us prefer to do it on our own

2 should come with Cheap, stock std wheels with wheel plastic caps that you see on taxi. I believe we more familiar with sports rim and its way cheaper to get it  outside unless KIA have a cheaper version of carbon fiber wheel that they can do in house due to the taxes incurred

3. Heated seats. Is it really necessary ? I probably have use it once or twice when my kid was sick and seated in front

4. Spare tires

5. ICE / sound system

Of course, the cost savings can go to making the car more cost competitive.

But I suspect it's going to make the margin more lucrative and they will still sell at a higher cost instead.

That's the reason why sometimes the industry have an internal mechanism called the factory price and franchise price. They price it low. The company sell in volume and make up for it by plowing back into the franchising rights to the principal.

Edited by Sdf4786k

But to dumb specs safety like the airbag , traction control and all the must have essential that is expected is no.

1. Window / factory tint Believe most of us prefer to do it on our own

2 should come with Cheap, stock std wheels with wheel plastic caps that you see on taxi. I believe we more familiar with sports rim and its way cheaper to get it  outside unless KIA have a cheaper version of carbon fiber wheel that they can do in house due to the taxes incurred

3. Heated seats. Is it really necessary ? I probably have use it once or twice when my kid was sick and seated in front

4. Spare tires

5. ICE / sound system

But I suspect it's going to make the margin more lucrative and they will still sell at a higher cost instead.

That's the reason why sometimes the industry have an internal mechanism called the factory price and franchise price. They price it low. The company sell in volume and make up for it by plowing back into the franchising rights to the principal.

I'm not referring to window tint, spare tires, heated seats, floor mats etc, there are not key features anyway.

I am referring to features that are critical like Active safety systems which are becoming common in many cars, latest technologies in engines, gearbox etc, features that makes the brand e.g. Audi/VW Virtual Cockpit, Quattro. Or even good designs, interior and exterior.

For wheels, it depends on whether the rims are designed specifically for the particular model. For example, the rims for Stinger is especially designed to complement the overall design. The same thing for the new C-RV, Honda designed a new rim for the vehicle. Basically, most rims are complementary to the overall design, so we should respect the work of the designers. For speakers, probably OK to go after-market. Or for entry-level, basic cars probably OK too.

Same goes to integrated HU that are part of the cockpit design, which are more common for European and Korean cars. Putting in an aftermarket HU just breaks the design flow. I would not comment on Japanese design though especially the lower-end ones.

However, I do recognize that finally the pricing has to make sense to individual buyers. No right and no wrong. Everyone is looking at different priorities.

That my friend is exactly what a brand snob is... the brand before the substance... so even when they're paying over the odds for something compromised or worse, even of inferior quality, it's still great cos of the badge...

But to dumb specs safety like the airbag , traction control and all the must have essential that is expected is no.

1. Window / factory tint Believe most of us prefer to do it on our own

2 should come with Cheap, stock std wheels with wheel plastic caps that you see on taxi. I believe we more familiar with sports rim and its way cheaper to get it outside unless KIA have a cheaper version of carbon fiber wheel that they can do in house due to the taxes incurred

3. Heated seats. Is it really necessary ? I probably have use it once or twice when my kid was sick and seated in front

4. Spare tires

5. ICE / sound system

That's the reason why sometimes the industry have an internal mechanism called the factory price and franchise price. They price it low. The company sell in volume and make up for it by plowing back into the franchising rights to the principal.

Most of the time, for the premium brands, those things you mention are the differences that make that brand premium and the other brands also-rans... makes no sense to remove those features... basically we're talking about the profit margins here... premium brands in Singapore over-charge significantly, partly cos they can do it cos they sell a better product (technology, customer service, etc), and also cos of our perchant for brand names... it gives these premium brands leverage to pad their margins... you won't find the same kind of price differences between premium brands and bread and butter brands elsewhere... it's simply not possible... especially in Europe and US...

I agree with jjandry also... sometimes premium brands bring in entry level models with compromised features including major compromises on engine, transmission and suspension technology, active safety features (either cut back from what is standard equipment overseas), to using older technology that's no longer sold overseas...

Much of this has to do with the perceived margins the AD feel they must make per car I suppose... the cost of manufacturing a premium model versus a bread and butter model can't be all too big as reflected in the sale price differences overseas...

Just some thoughts...

I'm not referring to window tint, spare tires, heated seats, floor mats etc, there are not key features anyway.

I am referring to features that are critical like Active safety systems which are becoming common in many cars, latest technologies in engines, gearbox etc, features that makes the brand e.g. Audi/VW Virtual Cockpit, Quattro. Or even good designs, interior and exterior.

For wheels, it depends on whether the rims are designed specifically for the particular model. For example, the rims for Stinger is especially designed to complement the overall design. The same thing for the new C-RV, Honda designed a new rim for the vehicle. Basically, most rims are complementary to the overall design, so we should respect the work of the designers. For speakers, probably OK to go after-market. Or for entry-level, basic cars probably OK too.

Same goes to integrated HU that are part of the cockpit design, which are more common for European and Korean cars. Putting in an aftermarket HU just breaks the design flow. I would not comment on Japanese design though especially the lower-end ones.

However, I do recognize that finally the pricing has to make sense to individual buyers. No right and no wrong. Everyone is looking at different priorities.

I meant it as a way to bypass the loaded cost of import. Even for the Niro, the ICE with GPS was one of the single most important factor for the car to be able to sense the road gradient and hence save on the fuel , but was omitted.

Can easily swap out with the KIA taxi after it arrive and fit up with the rims and tires if design aspect is the key to winning sales and not price.

As a after thought. Arteon will be made available in Nov this year.

So maybe a good push to get all the right tick in the boxes to get the stinger in.

https://youtu.be/9b8csbFoCms

Edited by Sdf4786k

My guess is, if they are brought in at all, that the 2L arteon will be pitched at ~220k, and the 2L stinger at ~200k..., presuming no crazy COE's.

Both reads good!

Silly me dreaming.., and have started to put aside a bit whenever i can. LOL.

Saw this car in Seoul few days ago and its very nice.

Also saw the K7....very swee also...if only C&C will bring these in....sigh...

Agree. But K7 may be a tough sell though ie if you are targeting the typical luxury sedan crowd, the badge issue is a pretty tough threshold to clear.

Stinger has a certain niche - 255-365hp at entry C-class/3 series/A4 pricing) + attractive design + Biermann-led tuning - may just work for some despite badge concerns.

Agree. But K7 may be a tough sell though ie if you are targeting the typical luxury sedan crowd, the badge issue is a pretty tough threshold to clear.

Just checked the specs, its a 3.3L V6. Definitely hard to sell. No wonder didn't come in. I also won't buy.

Edited by Kar_lover
↡ Advertisement