Mitsubishi Lancer - EOL

Calfskin

After using the Eclipse name plate on it new crossover (Eclipse Cross), Lancer will be the next model to undergo a major transformation, potentially evolving into a compact SUV (in like of HR-V, C-HR, etc.).

Mitsubishi is working on a radical return for the Lancer name, as a funky C-segment crossover that will rival everything from the Ford Focus to Toyota’s C-HR, Auto Express has learned.

The Japanese brand is enjoying a rapid growth in sales as part of the same Alliance that includes Renault and Nissan. Now the firm’s boss, Briton Trevor Mann, and chief designer Tsunehiro Kunimoto have started work in earnest on replacements for all of Mitsubishi’s current SUVs – and a new generation of small car and Lancer.

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Mann revealed that the direction of the Lancer is close to being finalised – and he also gave a strong hint of what size of vehicle will carry the badge.

“We have a long-range product plan that’s pretty solid until 2025, and a dotted line beyond that,” he explained. “Within that what we’ve said is, ‘Which vehicles do we want? What are we going to work on?’ We’re going to replace ASX, Outlander and Triton [the L200 pick-up]. Then we have these two boxes: Pajero and Lancer.

“Lancer’s probably the easiest one; we believe we’ve got a solution that could fit the segment. Because if you look globally, the C-segment hatchback [Golf and Focus] market is not shrinking. It’s down a bit in the US and Europe. But its numbers are still expanding in China. So there is appeal. And I think because the segment is so large globally, we’ve got to take a look at it.”

Kunimoto says the design direction previewed by the e-Evolution (below) that was displayed at last year’s Tokyo show is ideal for a smaller vehicle. Our main preview image shows how it could evolve into a new Lancer hatch. “Just because it’s C-segment doesn’t mean it has to be a very conventional hatchback,” the designer explained.

“Maybe we can create a new type of hatchback vehicle. We’re thinking quite radically. Originality is as much a part of the Mitsubishi design philosophy now as consistency,” Kunimoto added.

The firm is likely to base the Lancer on the latest evolution of the Alliance’s CMF C/D platform. That would support a crossover shape like the e-Evolution’s, while also offering the potential for four-wheel drive and the adoption of Mitsubishi’s hybrid systems, tech that the Alliance brands are working hard to integrate into their platforms.

e-evo_concept_ext03.jpge-evo_concept_ext04.jpge-evo_concept_ext05.jpge-evo_concept_ext06.jpge-evo_concept_interior02-20171013.jpge-evo_concept_interior01-20171013.jpg

• Praise 5

Actually, I find it strange that Mitsubishi keen on making another Crossover when they already have the Eclipse Cross though that can be classified as SUV. The don't really have a saloon or HB in the higher end of the B&B range to compete against Altis, Civic, Mz3 so getting Lancer back to its roots should have been a better move I feel but then again they should know the market better than me. 

I know Attrage and Space star are available but these 2 are really entry level, just my 2 cents.

• Praise 5

cs3 dekit! everything must go by jul10! car going to dealer v soon!

4x 15" 4x114.3 with ad08r 195/50/15. rubber only 1yr3mths old. still good for at least 20k km. swap with stock rim/tyres $250. bear own labour

cW5LAcQ.jpg

summit strut bar $50

summit rear tie bar $50

summit antirollbar $150 need swap stock ARB

items still on ride. take all summit item with stock ARB swap at $200. buyer bear all labour

whitesnail customised intake with apexi open pod and cold air intake. swap with stock $300. buyer bear all labour

1WGZrej.jpg

apexi rsm black $200. item still in ride. buyer bear all labour

zQK48D6.jpg

original 60mm defi bf water temp, oil temp, oil pressure with cu2 controller. item still in ride $450. buyer bear all labour

zbMwJE3.jpg

stock lancer glx sports spoiler $80. item out of ride. cash and carry

pls sms/WA 98 2six 8 33 one

• Praise 1

Actually, I find it strange that Mitsubishi keen on making another Crossover when they already have the Eclipse Cross though that can be classified as SUV. The don't really have a saloon or HB in the higher end of the B&B range to compete against Altis, Civic, Mz3 so getting Lancer back to its roots should have been a better move I feel but then again they should know the market better than me.

I know Attrage and Space star are available but these 2 are really entry level, just my 2 cents.

They lack a saloon car to compete. The attrage already out of the competition

After using the Eclipse name plate on it new crossover (Eclipse Cross), Lancer will be the next model to undergo a major transformation, potentially evolving into a compact SUV (in like of HR-V, C-HR, etc.).

Mitsubishi is working on a radical return for the Lancer name, as a funky C-segment crossover that will rival everything from the Ford Focus to Toyota’s C-HR, Auto Express has learned.

The Japanese brand is enjoying a rapid growth in sales as part of the same Alliance that includes Renault and Nissan. Now the firm’s boss, Briton Trevor Mann, and chief designer Tsunehiro Kunimoto have started work in earnest on replacements for all of Mitsubishi’s current SUVs – and a new generation of small car and Lancer.

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Mann revealed that the direction of the Lancer is close to being finalised – and he also gave a strong hint of what size of vehicle will carry the badge.

“We have a long-range product plan that’s pretty solid until 2025, and a dotted line beyond that,” he explained. “Within that what we’ve said is, ‘Which vehicles do we want? What are we going to work on?’ We’re going to replace ASX, Outlander and Triton [the L200 pick-up]. Then we have these two boxes: Pajero and Lancer.

“Lancer’s probably the easiest one; we believe we’ve got a solution that could fit the segment. Because if you look globally, the C-segment hatchback [Golf and Focus] market is not shrinking. It’s down a bit in the US and Europe. But its numbers are still expanding in China. So there is appeal. And I think because the segment is so large globally, we’ve got to take a look at it.”

Kunimoto says the design direction previewed by the e-Evolution (below) that was displayed at last year’s Tokyo show is ideal for a smaller vehicle. Our main preview image shows how it could evolve into a new Lancer hatch. “Just because it’s C-segment doesn’t mean it has to be a very conventional hatchback,” the designer explained.

“Maybe we can create a new type of hatchback vehicle. We’re thinking quite radically. Originality is as much a part of the Mitsubishi design philosophy now as consistency,” Kunimoto added.

The firm is likely to base the Lancer on the latest evolution of the Alliance’s CMF C/D platform. That would support a crossover shape like the e-Evolution’s, while also offering the potential for four-wheel drive and the adoption of Mitsubishi’s hybrid systems, tech that the Alliance brands are working hard to integrate into their platforms.

e-evo_concept_ext03.jpge-evo_concept_ext04.jpge-evo_concept_ext05.jpge-evo_concept_ext06.jpge-evo_concept_interior02-20171013.jpge-evo_concept_interior01-20171013.jpg

I think the suicide door would be damn leceh when it rains. Imagine the rear seat passenger wants to alight and there is no shelter!

Style wise, between CHR and this, I would choose this!

(edited)

They lack a saloon car to compete. The attrage already out of the competition

mitsubishi already exist the sedan category and focus at SUV range.

unlikely will see any sedan range anymore

Edited by Contipro
  • Dislike 1

Supersonic

mitsubishi already exist the sedan category and focus at SUV range.

unlikely will see any sedan range anymore

I think you mean exit.

Seems Mitsubishi Motors falling behind in terms of design. Remember those days back in early 2000s, Lancers were such popular Sedans. Also, their Suvs (or so call Suv), Outlander and Airtrek-Turbo looks really cool with gd specs. Those days, such drivers definitely get a wow. Those driving Evo Series lagi best, most women see aldy sure poon-pi-pi, from OLs to Ah Lians,,,even Aunties also say,,,"boy ah, simi chai, swee hor"

Thinking bk and looking at their Outlander, eclispe, Attrage now ...humm.. shake head  <_<

• Praise 1