Formula 1 (2017)

Wt_know

Sepang boss blasts Bernie

Bernie Ecclestone was accused yesterday of having "made us look like idiots" by the chief executive of Malaysia's Sepang International Circuit after the former Formula 1 supremo admitted to deliberately overcharging tracks to stage races.

"I don't understand why he made those kinds of statements," Razlan Razali told AFP in an interview in London. "As a loyal customer of his for the last 19 years, it showed a total lack of respect, I think, and made us look like idiots in some ways."

This year will witness the last Malaysian Grand Prix for the foreseeable future, with the race disappearing from the calendar a year earlier than planned.

This comes after a combination of low attendances and high fees, with the Malaysian government spending some RM$67.6 million (S$21.7m) annually to stage a race first run in 1999. However, this is a cost that Sepang International Circuit (SIC) officials and their political bosses could tolerate.

Earlier this month, 86-year-old Ecclestone, ousted from his controlling position in Formula 1 during the off-season following a takeover by US-based Liberty Media, gave an interview in which he admitted to overcharging.

Speaking to Autosport magazine during the Bahrain Grand Prix, Ecclestone said: "When I convinced people to build this place and all the other places, I feel a little bit responsible. I charged them too much for what we provide.

"On my watch, we didn't deliver the show that we charged people for."

He added: "Sooner or later, I'm frightened that the governments behind them (the track promoters) will say enough is enough, and bye bye."

That is pretty much what happened in Malaysia and Razali added: "We always complained that the cost was too high and, every year, we tried to negotiate to get more value for money.

"To come out with that kind of statement, it's frustrating and it makes us look like an idiot, really."

This month saw Prime Minister Najib Razak publicly announce the end of the Malaysia Grand Prix, which has faced intense local competition from the night grand prix in Singapore.

Officials said the Sepang circuit, which can accommodate 120,000 fans, drew just 45,000 to the 2016 Grand Prix, and TV ratings were also poor.

Meanwhile in Sochi, Formula 1 frontrunner Sebastian Vettel led a Ferrari one-two in Russian Grand Prix practice yesterday with the resurgent Italian team appearing to have a clear edge over champions Mercedes.

The German four-time world champion clocked a best lap of one minute and 34.120 seconds, 0.263 quicker than teammate Kimi Raikkonen and 0.709 clear of Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

Raikkonen had been fastest in the morning. Valtteri Bottas, a close second in opening practice, was third in the afternoon for Mercedes and 0.670 off Vettel's pace, while teammate Hamilton was fourth.

Vettel leads Hamilton by seven points after winning two of three races this season.

- WIRE SERVICES

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/tennis/sepang-boss-blasts-bernie

↡ Advertisement

Russia. Ferrari 1-2.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

1. Vet

2. Kimi

3. Bot

4. Lewis

5. Ric

6. Massa

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 3

The merc guys are losing time at the last sector which requires good down force and car stability. Ferrari cars seems to do well there.

• Praise 2

The merc guys are losing time at the last sector which requires good down force and car stability. Ferrari cars seems to do well there.

Heard on commentary that one of the straights is like 1km long, see if the Mercs can out-rev and DRS past the Ferraris there. Looks like Mercs can't take corners here well.

(edited)

Bottas great start and overtake Vettel in turn 1 ... not bad [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

car contribute 80% of the success ... the remaning 20% for driver do the right thing at the right time

without a good car drivers like bottas and verstappen will not be in the top 6

just look at alonso ... most of the time DNF [bigcry]

vettel couldnt do much right after jumping ship to Ferrari when the car CMI

only this year Ferrari car seems competitive

Bottas proving his class. Hamilton proving it was the car all along.

Edited by Wt_know

car contribute 80% of the success ... the remaning 20% for driver do the right thing at the right time

without a good car drivers like bottas and verstappen will not be in the top 6

just look at alonso ... most of the time DNF [bigcry]

vettel couldnt do much right after jumping ship to Ferrari when the car CMI

only this year Ferrari car seems competitive

I know this.

I saw Bottas' quiet class while he was in Williams. The way he kept way outperforming Massa. Everyone thought Massa was underpeforming. I think Bottas was just that much better.

Now he's proving it. Thank god he's in Merc AMG.

Sepang boss blasts Bernie

Bernie Ecclestone was accused yesterday of having "made us look like idiots" by the chief executive of Malaysia's Sepang International Circuit after the former Formula 1 supremo admitted to deliberately overcharging tracks to stage races.

"I don't understand why he made those kinds of statements," Razlan Razali told AFP in an interview in London. "As a loyal customer of his for the last 19 years, it showed a total lack of respect, I think, and made us look like idiots in some ways."

This year will witness the last Malaysian Grand Prix for the foreseeable future, with the race disappearing from the calendar a year earlier than planned.

This comes after a combination of low attendances and high fees, with the Malaysian government spending some RM$67.6 million (S$21.7m) annually to stage a race first run in 1999. However, this is a cost that Sepang International Circuit (SIC) officials and their political bosses could tolerate.

Earlier this month, 86-year-old Ecclestone, ousted from his controlling position in Formula 1 during the off-season following a takeover by US-based Liberty Media, gave an interview in which he admitted to overcharging.

Speaking to Autosport magazine during the Bahrain Grand Prix, Ecclestone said: "When I convinced people to build this place and all the other places, I feel a little bit responsible. I charged them too much for what we provide.

"On my watch, we didn't deliver the show that we charged people for."

He added: "Sooner or later, I'm frightened that the governments behind them (the track promoters) will say enough is enough, and bye bye."

That is pretty much what happened in Malaysia and Razali added: "We always complained that the cost was too high and, every year, we tried to negotiate to get more value for money.

"To come out with that kind of statement, it's frustrating and it makes us look like an idiot, really."

This month saw Prime Minister Najib Razak publicly announce the end of the Malaysia Grand Prix, which has faced intense local competition from the night grand prix in Singapore.

Officials said the Sepang circuit, which can accommodate 120,000 fans, drew just 45,000 to the 2016 Grand Prix, and TV ratings were also poor.

Meanwhile in Sochi, Formula 1 frontrunner Sebastian Vettel led a Ferrari one-two in Russian Grand Prix practice yesterday with the resurgent Italian team appearing to have a clear edge over champions Mercedes.

The German four-time world champion clocked a best lap of one minute and 34.120 seconds, 0.263 quicker than teammate Kimi Raikkonen and 0.709 clear of Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

Raikkonen had been fastest in the morning. Valtteri Bottas, a close second in opening practice, was third in the afternoon for Mercedes and 0.670 off Vettel's pace, while teammate Hamilton was fourth.

Vettel leads Hamilton by seven points after winning two of three races this season.

- WIRE SERVICES

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/tennis/sepang-boss-blasts-bernie

​Now we know why ticket for F1 so expensive. Probably it would be cheaper for the next renewal.

Not only F1 are trying to Overcharge customers, I think Soccer EPL also the same. That's why Telco have to charge so expensive just to watch soccer. But as we know who started it that let EPL have a chance to think that wa Singapore so rich, nevermind just charge very high. So now it's difficult to turn back. Sometimes mistake at some people who made the bidding could cost a lot of money for people who use the service. Well.. 

Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic
(edited)

wah ... have to pay for expensive & overcharged lulian for another 5 years

post-7984-0-51668800-1493650792_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know

Well done to Bottas! Excellent drive, leading from lap 1 till the end. Mercedes team have gotten themselves a great driver.

The cars between Ferrari and Mercdes are much more even this season. What a waste for Vettel and Kimi, to secure pole and 2nd for qualifying but couldn't convert on race day, but had to settle for 2nd and 3rd.

Bottas was flying and widening the gap only to have Vettel close in towards the end of the race. Lewis was nowhere up for any challenge. Seem to be  a completely different league between the two drivers. Of course, Bottas had cleaner air in the lead.

Sochi must be considered a very well maintained track. 39 laps for Hulkenberg on the ultra, amazing!

(edited)

as expected, the first 3 rows are Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull

let's see bottas can do his "magic" again staring from 2nd row ... [sly]

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Bottas

4. Raikkonen

5. Verstappen

6. Ricciardo

Edited by Wt_know