Upgrading - Home Improvement Program HIP

Christan

As above, anyone gone through this upgrading? What are things to take note of, especially for toilet/bathroom upgrading?

It's gonna be messy so need to cover the furniture, cabinet with plastic sheet they say. Where can I get the plastic sheet & the cost? Or other method for coverage?

And any protection for the flooring? Workers will be going in/out of the house so was thinking of laying canvas or cardboard.

Will also take this chance to redo bathroom fixtures & water heater which is already >10 yrs. Can the contractor assist? Maybe pay a token fee?

Seems must tahan for 10 days before work finished. [sweatdrop]  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Can take the opportunity to ask workers to install accessories, water heater, etc for you. Tip them.

No need to tips, just make sure when the contractor came to look at your unit before the job start, tell them what you want them to install, hanging bar, toilet paper hanger, heater, etc. can be done for free, but not fixture like cabinet.

• Praise 3

As above, anyone gone through this upgrading? What are things to take note of, especially for toilet/bathroom upgrading?

It's gonna be messy so need to cover the furniture, cabinet with plastic sheet they say. Where can I get the plastic sheet & the cost? Or other method for coverage?

And any protection for the flooring? Workers will be going in/out of the house so was thinking of laying canvas or cardboard.

Will also take this chance to redo bathroom fixtures & water heater which is already >10 yrs. Can the contractor assist? Maybe pay a token fee?

Those renovation plastic cover is quite cheap about $1.50 per sheet which I think you need at lease 10 sheet to cover most area. Also get those big clean wrap type that mover use for wraping furniture, wrap around all the furniture and electrical items, yes you won't be watching tv for that 10 days.

Use the plastic sheet to seal up most of the area, leave an access path for the worker to walk in and out but cover with cardboard or vinyl sheet.

• Praise 3

First 3 days will be very dusty as they will hack away the toilet tiles. During the 10 days they will set up a temporary toilet in your kitchen for your use. You must have at least a family member around when they start work in your house and make sure all valuables are kept under lock. If your house waste pipe is hidden in your kitchen cabinet, they will take down your renovation fixture but they won't put it back for you. You need to put it back by yourself.

• Praise 1

Be proactive. Go ask the contractor or the foreman for enough plastic sheets.

Can choose what tiles you want.

They will lay cardboard paths i think.

You can speak to the foreman, usually they can assist you for some extra fees. Usually quite reasonable one.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

First 3 days will be very dusty as they will hack away the toilet tiles. During the 10 days they will set up a temporary toilet in your kitchen for your use. You must have at least a family member around when they start work in your house and make sure all valuables are kept under lock. If your house waste pipe is hidden in your kitchen cabinet, they will take down your renovation fixture but they won't put it back for you. You need to put it back by yourself.

do they still hack ?? i thot all using overlays now ... faster and less dirty.

anyway my house renovated 5 years ago ... so will "miss" the HIP for my estate .... only opted for a new door and gate.

even only these two items, wonder when will it be done .... has been half a year since we did the poll.

Be proactive. Go ask the contractor or the foreman for enough plastic sheets.

Can choose what tiles you want.

They will lay cardboard paths i think.

You can speak to the foreman, usually they can assist you for some extra fees. Usually quite reasonable one.

dun have too much hopes on the tile selection ... we only had 2 choices here in tampines.

• Praise 1

dun have too much hopes on the tile selection ... we only had 2 choices here in tampines.

?

you can buy your own tiles and ask them to lay one lor. But the added cost is yours to bear, no discount on the service. HDB only cares that waterproofing is done properly...

My mother put her own floor tiles into her toilet when it was done 3-4 years back. She did it cos she felt the HDB ones don't provide enough traction. The wall tiles are the HDB provided ones.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

do they still hack ?? i thot all using overlays now ... faster and less dirty.

Err HDB is not doing for aesthetic reasons. They are doing it to renew the water proofing/sealants in the toilets.

Ysc3

If you opt out of the toilet upgrading, they still need to carry out a water test to verify your toilet is not leaking. However, the waste pipe in your kitchen and drainage pipe in your toilet still need to be replaced if they are the old cast iron type, so there will still be hacking and demolition works.

Usually within a year of voting for hip they will start the works unless less than 75% of the vote is gotten for it to proceed.

• Praise 2

Ysc3

If you opt out of the toilet upgrading, they still need to carry out a water test to verify your toilet is not leaking. However, the waste pipe in your kitchen and drainage pipe in your toilet still need to be replaced if they are the old cast iron type, so there will still be hacking and demolition works.

Usually within a year of voting for hip they will start the works unless less than 75% of the vote is gotten for it to proceed.

all can be opt out including the kitchen pipes, my neighbor opt out.

i ask their contractor to take out my kitchen cabinet and put it back after replacing the pipe for $300, they did a good job without damaging my cabinet carpentry, look as if it was never removed before.

Jman888

Yes, can opt out all items except waste pipe and drainage pipe if they are the old cast iron type.

You pay $300 for hip contractor to put your kitchen cabinet back is reasonable but some hip contractor can do it for $200.

Your neighbour cannot opt out unless they had changed the waste pipe and drainage pipe to the new pvc type during their renovation earlier.

Jman888

Yes, can opt out all items except waste pipe and drainage pipe if they are the old cast iron type.

You pay $300 for hip contractor to put your kitchen cabinet back is reasonable but some hip contractor can do it for $200.

Your neighbour cannot opt out unless they had changed the waste pipe and drainage pipe to the new pvc type during their renovation earlier.

nope i know neighbour and friends unde hip did not change the pipe before but opt out of the changes, the contractor just have to run the water pipe at the end of the project to see if the units have any leak.

Strange. As I was in the hdb upgrading team a few years back in charge of a few precincts and know all the in and out, unless they have changed the rules. I was also doing the EASE programme for senior citizens. It was a good experience in hdb though I quit because of my DD who keeps creating trouble for me.

↡ Advertisement