Anyone hardly drives but still keeps a car?

Hyruga

My wife's car mileage is just below 100k and COE expiring in April.

Asked her to go car hunting for a replacement but she says no need, likes her current car and want to just renew COE. Suits me  [;)]

Lose the PARF value and need to spend $$$ to replace the overdue timing chain but still better to spend $50k on a COE rather than $90k+ on some other overpriced depreciating biscuit tin....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

my car this sept 10 yr anniversary only 102,00KM plus...

bought the car for my first job as a consultant, then left for the second one for 5 yr and counting... been driving between potong pasir and town for work then last 3 mths no longer driving as taken bus due to nearby MSCP season parking increase.

I only use my intensively during weekends for movies, shopping and makan with gf or go to bukit indah 

so going to renew my car for another 5 yr anyway.. those who sat my car always claim my car look new cos i every 3 years re-spray my car to different colours and to remove ding and dents

You don't drive to work because of the $20 increase in season parking?

National Development Minister, Lawrence Wong sure has met his KPI and objective [laugh]

• Praise 3

Asked her to go car hunting for a replacement but she says no need, likes her current car and want to just renew COE. Suits me  [;)]

Lose the PARF value and need to spend $$$ to replace the overdue timing chain but still better to spend $50k on a COE rather than $90k+ on some other overpriced depreciating biscuit tin....

You intend to renew 5 years or 10 years coe? I always think if renew 5 years not very worth lo, cause very fast 5 years will be over. Lol.

Sometimes, it may be more cost efficient to buy new.

Assuming your PARF is $7K (Bread and Butter Jap car), you get a brand new Mitsubishi Attrage or Perodua Bezza for $77K.

Minus the $7K from your old car PARF and $3K scrap value of the new car, you are paying just $67K for the brand new car.

If you renew COE, you need to pay $50K plus forgo scrap value $7K = $57K for an old car to drive for 10 years + $$$ to replace wear and tear parts.

Pay only $10K more to drive a new car (an additional $1K / year or $83 / mth or $2.80 / day), with 5 yrs warranty and no 50% road tax surcharge, no annual inspection.... it's more worthwhile

Edited by Vinceng

Maybe cuz my kids used to public transport and walking around alot already. Since they are babies, we use public transport more often than the car. Its like quite normal to them.

Sometimes maybe it is not the kids who want to sit car, most of the time it is the parents who want a car to ferry their kids around?! Lol. I have friends told me they need a car even though all their kids already in primary school, cause they need to send their kids to school, tuition classes, swimming classes etc on weekday and weekend.

With your kind of mileage, after taking into account the anual depreciation, maintenance costs, season parking, hourly parking charges, road tax, you might save a lot of $$$ in taking Uber/Grab or normal taxi during the weekends.

Mine at 90,000km at 9.5 years is already low. You broke my record.

Cannot compared taking uber/grab and taxi with owning a car lo. Many people say take uber/grab and taxi confirmed cheaper than paying for a car. Lol. 

I always reached office before 7.

traffic very smooth and can slowly take ur breakfast.

Some office have gym so can make use of it to have some workout. 

If your work starts at 8am, maybe still ok to reach office before 7. But if your work start 8.30-9am, think it is way too early to reach office la, to sacrifice your sleeping time just to get to workplace before 7?! For me, dont think i would do that. Lol. 

Edited by 13177

You intend to renew 5 years or 10 years coe? I always think if renew 5 years not very worth lo, cause very fast 5 years will be over. Lol.

10 years.

Can cancel and refund anytime so very safe option.

I would hate to renew for 5 years and then in 5 years time find the COE back up at $100k...  [sweatdrop]

10 years.

I would hate to renew for 5 years and then in 5 years time find the COE back up at $100k...  [sweatdrop]

Agreed, you can get back pro-rated of your coe even you have renewed for 10 years, and you can continue to renew the car after that. Unlike 5 years coe is like death penalty to the car.

Twincharged

Sometimes maybe it is not the kids who want to sit car, most of the time it is the parents who want a car to ferry their kids around?! Lol. I have friends told me they need a car even though all their kids already in primary school, cause they need to send their kids to school, tuition classes, swimming classes etc on weekday and weekend.

That one is parents problem already la. Can go for classes nearby. My son's school, enrichment classes and swimming lessons all walking distance.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

2010 SLK normal plate 12k mileage considered low ? Haha

These kind of car is normal la. No one will drive SLK around everyday? Can't possibly survive with that car as daily driver. Lol.

These kind of car is normal la. No one will drive SLK around everyday? Can't possibly survive with that car as daily driver. Lol.

Actually why not bro?

I know of single ladies (although not very young) who drive this car everyday.

Yup. My bicycle does about 2000km a month. 1 year mileage more than my car 7 years mileage. Lol.

Partly cuz I have kids la. With kids, public transport is easier and more convenient. If no kids, maybe my mileage will be higher.

Wow my motorbike is 2.5yrs old with only 1000km mileage.

10 years.

1 less COE for the next quarter  :TT_TT:

Assuming your PARF is $7K (Bread and Butter Jap car), you get a brand new Mitsubishi Attrage or Perodua Bezza for $77K.

Minus the $7K from your old car PARF and $3K scrap value of the new car, you are paying just $67K for the brand new car.

If you renew COE, you need to pay $50K plus forgo scrap value $7K = $57K for an old car to drive for 10 years + $$$ to replace wear and tear parts.

Pay only $10K more to drive a new car (an additional $1K / year or $83 / mth or $2.80 / day), with 5 yrs warranty and no 50% road tax surcharge, no annual inspection.... it's more worthwhile

Got so cheap ah? Did you count in coe for new car?

I dunno the price of these cars.

Edited by Hyruga

Twincharged

Pay only $10K more to drive a new car (an additional $1K / year or $83 / mth or $2.80 / day), with 5 yrs warranty and no 50% road tax surcharge, no annual inspection.... it's more worthwhile

Its up to personal preference la. A well maintained 10 yo altis or some other jap/kor B&B car might be a better option than a brand new attrage or bezza. 

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

I guess cuz my kids love public transport. Get to see more stuff. My kids are bigger so probably ok. Smallest already 1 year old so we use baby carrier on public transport. The other 2 are toddlers so they can learn more by take public transport and we can interact more with them. When driving, harder to talk to them.

Respect u! i guess i am lazy to bring barang barang to take public transport.. maybe also spend over $150k on a car i feel the need to use it. hahaha

Actually why not bro?

I know of single ladies (although not very young) who drive this car everyday.

This person must be some high earning salary, thats why can drive this car everyday?! Lol.

That one is parents problem already la. Can go for classes nearby. My son's school, enrichment classes and swimming lessons all walking distance.

High probability parents problem lo, cause they want their kids to attend certain school, enrichment classes and swimming lessons at certain places which may not able to be walking distance from their house. But even walking distance, i guess many parents would still drive their car la.

↡ Advertisement