Lets talk about China history 上下五千年

Yaloryalor

Of course without writing it is hard. Not say 5000 years, for some civilization even 1000 years also don't have reliable historical records or didn't have a consistent writing system.

Until now, nobody understands the writings on the "Singapore stone" discovered at the mouth of the Singapore river although it is only 700 year old.

knn....must kan the historian for that! Want to write also write properly lar....
↡ Advertisement

The problem is before there were newspapers, not everyone records history in detail like China. Since at least Han, China has officially appointed historians to record all important events in detail (å²å®). In some civilization, a lot of the so-called history include mostly victorious battles, religious or myths and hearsay. One can imagine, the tribes didn't record as much in detail so mostly we can only depend on the Chinese records, and bits and pieces elsewhere.

The Koreans even need to refer to China history to record their own history of events.
  • Praise 1

One of the recent major archaeological discovery in China is Cao Cao's tomb. It was identified from the "魏武王" writings but there still there are questions on the reliability of such writings as it has been looted before. Nevertheless, the scale of the tomb suggest it must be one of a king.

U2107P1T1D19364223F23DT20091230042841.jp

d02000158983d2fc663.jpg

ca50004b381598a1ad0.jpg

He wrote very nicely, but used a language that nobody can understand today. 

Cao Cao was ruling like a king.

(edited)

The Spring Autumn to warring states period was defined by the splitting up of the state of Jin to Zhao, Han and Wei states. By then there wasn't many states that were left standing.

Imagine the largest seven major states of the warring period, 3 of them were born from the state of Jin.

Even at the beginning of the warring states period, Qin was contained by the powerful Wei which prevented the Qin expansion to the east. It was the brillant Shang Yang who changes the state of Qin and the weakening of the state of Wei in their expansion conquest that gave Qin a foothold into central China.

During the Spring and Autumn period, one king that deserved to be mentioned or looked at was Yue King Goujian.

Edited by Yuan

During the Spring and Autumn period, one king that deserved to be mentioned or looked at was Yue King Goujian.

Yes, he is a man of great preserverence that deserved our admiration.

However he is not a king that shared his sucesses with his officials in court.

He subsequently killed quite a number of loyal court officials that served him while he is being held hostage in the state of Wu probably as a way to forget the humiliation he suffered.

Only the clever Fan Lui chose to leave and managed to lead a carefree life as a successful businessman.

Before he left, he wrote a letter to his good friend and advised him to leave the king as well.

Dunno how to type in Chinese but the meaning is 'When there is no more birds, the bow will be kept away and when there are no more rabbits to hunt, the hunting dog will be cooked'

Anyone knows this famous phase from him?

Got chance must go and see his 宝剑 sword in the museum.

1920px-Sword_of_Goujian%2C_Hubei_Provinc

If you have been to the museum, there should be another spade used by the king of Wu (Fu Chai).

(edited)

One of the recent major archaeological discovery in China is Cao Cao's tomb. It was identified from the "魏武王" writings but there still there are questions on the reliability of such writings as it has been looted before. Nevertheless, the scale of the tomb suggest it must be one of a king.

U2107P1T1D19364223F23DT20091230042841.jp

He wrote very nicely, but used a language that nobody can understand today. 

From what I see these small stone tablets are just a label for items that he uses. Why does a king need to label his belongings?

I think the clues are obvious. Since this so called tomb is design like the Chinese Character jia3 甲. And they like to use these characters  on their calendar eg. jia, yi, bing, ding....

So this could possibly be "storage facility A". That's also why they label the items for easy "stock take" like what we do in warehouse today.

Edited by Watwheels

This beautiful lady? 

in the drama ... it was told when 6 state joined forces against Qin ,

Zhang Yi negotiated with Chu Huai Wang with his offer 600Li of Land .  This was true and was documented in history.  

• Praise 5

Yeah.. the Chinese early early start to record history. What's good about Chinese history is that they have established a policy that the Emperor cannot read or question what is written by the historian -- I think this policy was made official from Han, could be earlier. The history is meant for future generation to read and evaluate.

A lot of times, people correlated recorded history from current with previous dynasties to find out the truth -- in today's contact this is similar to comparing media information with declassified information in the U.S. For example during Ming, 袁崇煥, the famous general was convicted of treason but people later know from Qing's own records that he was a victim of well planned psychological warfare against the Ming emperor.

The Qing emperors were smarter than the Yuan emperors. Qing emperors knowing they were the minority could not control the whole China for long if they dun treat the hans ppl nice. They let the hans ppl take high post and assigned them with important roles also.

• Praise 1

true.

she married the xiongnu king.

if i remember correctly. when the king died. the son refused to let her go back to china and force her to marry him instead.

wang zhao jun married to xiong nu is story or real??

i remember got 1 china princess married external, and teach the farming, silk breeding etc etc , some thing like that .

( got such 1 right??? lol)

• Praise 1

think its fan li.

he quit his minister role and spent the rest of the life with Xi shi.

think the quote you were looking for is 

狡兔死、走狗烹;飞鸟尽、良弓藏;敌国破、谋臣亡

Yes, he is a man of great preserverence that deserved our admiration.

However he is not a king that shared his sucesses with his officials in court.

He subsequently killed quite a number of loyal court officials that served him while he is being held hostage in the state of Wu probably as a way to forget the humiliation he suffered.

Only the clever Fan Lui chose to leave and managed to lead a carefree life as a successful businessman.

Before he left, he wrote a letter to his good friend and advised him to leave the king as well.

Dunno how to type in Chinese but the meaning is 'When there is no more birds, the bow will be kept away and when there are no more rabbits to hunt, the hunting dog will be cooked'

Anyone knows this famous phase from him?

If you have been to the museum, there should be another spade used by the king of Wu (Fu Chai).

• Praise 5

think its fan li.

狡兔死、走狗烹;飞鸟尽、良弓藏;敌国破、谋臣亡

I now then know got this part: 敌国破、谋臣亡.

Fan Li master was  越王勾践 rite?

think its fan li.

狡兔死、走狗烹;飞鸟尽、良弓藏;敌国破、谋臣亡

Yes you are right on the quote!

However I am sceptical about the part that he spent the rest of his life with Xi Shi.

According to what I know, Xi Shi whereabout was not known after the state of Wu was destroyed.

Yes you are right on the quote!

However I am sceptical about the part that he spent the rest of his life with Xi Shi.

According to what I know, Xi Shi whereabout was not known after the state of Wu was destroyed.

Lol.

A lot of different versions out there.

Who knows for sure?

I'm a romantic at heart. So I'd like to believe that they really did spend their lives happily ever after on lake taihe

Ah .. Jonathan Fenby. I read another book of his Modern China Rise and Fall of a Great Power 1850 to Present. Good coverage of politics from the Qing emperor to warlords up to HJT.

i was reading some SCMP article on some German guy who lives in HK who specializes in collecting Qing currency. 

Seems like the Qing was massively overprinting $ in the late 1800s onwards, hence devaluing their own $.

Edited by Lala81

Thanks for the lead, I went to search for the SCMP article. It's a unique and interesting study on the Ch'ing money system. Major mismanagement and forgery. His book is selling for US$800, and there isn't a copy in NLB so it will hard to read more into it.

Nonetheless, opium trade still accelerated the downfall of the economy as it was one of the things that significantly reduces in flow of foreign money, with no positive effect on the economy. There was no more need for the British to pay for trade with silver, if they can pay with opium.

If there is still confidence and energy in the economy, it wouldn't be a problem. Like the US economy, people are still happy sell goods and services to the US, in exchange of their bonds and equities, which are not backed by gold or silver.

Recently, there's also a rare and interesting report on Singapore's society and economy during WWII, based on the surviving Japanese records. It's rare because we don't know much about the occupation other than those passed down by word of mouth, as most written records were destroyed by the Japanese at the end of the war. It's only S$60, so I might find time to buy and read it.

I went to the Ford factory memorial. Quite a lot of things about the Japanese occupation and like what's the cost of eggs.

Things were also pretty dire after the war. It took them several years to sort out

↡ Advertisement