VW sharan or BMW 216GT?

Su27

Not true. i'm 1.7m and i can sit quite comfortable in the 2GT's 3rd row driving around singapore. Of course the 2nd row has to be shifted forward a bit, but both 2nd and 3rd rows can sit adults comfortably.

Comparing to a full MPV like Ody, Ody will of course be the most comfortable. 2GT is still a 5+2 car, not a full 7 seater car.

Yup, it would require all 3 rows to squeeze to be able to fit in all 3 rows. 

i'm 1.8 m. My girl in sec 2 is now 1.72 m. When my parents are with us, i also cannot make it too squeezy for them. Buying a new car should bring new/more comfort and joy, so in our case the 2GT just simply doesn't cut it.

Even the Wish is much more spacious than the 2GT.

There is actually no comparison with sharan, purely in terms of space.

↡ Advertisement

Yes, thanks for showing the photo, which beats a lot of description.

Put it this way, the 2GT is only slightly better than the zafira and grand scenic that I had checked out a couple of years ago. Coming out of the third row, i sprained my back muscle, and needed about 30-60 min to recover... Just like when i started sprinting without proper warm up before soccer (all those years ago)...

I would not recommend torturing the adult(s) to get them to squat sit in the 3rd row.

Your comments on the 3rd row, I feel many will not agree.

As an adult, you will be literally sitting on the platform and your knees almost to your chest level. Those with low back pain problems will not be able to get out of the seat after a 30min drive.

BMW-2er-Gran-Tourer-560x373-06d4f4b7faf6

2-series-grand-r-s-b.jpg

The interior size of the Sharan was pretty much the reason why we chose it... of course the GTI engine (and gearbox) makes it even more compelling.

Some practical downsides:
1. The wide body (>1.9m) makes it quite a tight fit in many narrow carparks. 

2. The powerful engine and heavy body means fuel consumption is quite high when a driver tends to stomp "a little too hard" (combined 9km/L) every now and then.

3. The high torque (350nm) means a lot of wheelspin coming off the line with enthusiasm.

4. The 2 side seats in the 2nd row come with built-in booster chairs...but it means that it is less comfortable to sit in because of the structure within.

3. The high torque (350nm) means a lot of wheelspin coming off the line with enthusiasm.

This problem is evident in the in the 2GT as well (270nm)

• Praise 4

If there is not much diff, why do Altis, Civic must have Cat A le?

It is the mindset of average consumer that resulted in crappy produce we are getting.

Actually it is the authorities that have the mindset that Cat A is for bread and butter and Cat B is for luxury. But when current premiums are just a couple of hundred dollars apart I don't think price difference will be that great TBH.

The only difference is that Cat B will have to compete with bigger cars like 5 Series/E-Class for quota, so Cat A COE easier to get.

One thing is for sure: COE definitely needs revamping. Current system of classification is horribly outdated.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Actually it is the authorities that have the mindset that Cat A is for bread and butter and Cat B is for luxury. But when current premiums are just a couple of hundred dollars apart I don't think price difference will be that great TBH.

The only difference is that Cat B will have to compete with bigger cars like 5 Series/E-Class for quota, so Cat A COE easier to get.

One thing is for sure: COE definitely needs revamping. Current system of classification is horribly outdated.

dun ask them to change leh,

they'll probably make it worse.

remember the last change?

• Praise 1

This is a leg problem lah.

I'm not technical but my feel is the instant torque plus FWD causes the front wheels to spin if you accelerate too fast from standstill not so much on straight but more on turn.

Just wondering if this would not happen if it were RWD?

• Praise 3

Given TS requirement, the Sharan has an unfair advantage over GT.

If both badge have equal status, GT will stand no chance at all.

If TS had chosen Touran vs GT then it's a whole different story.

• Praise 1

I'm not technical but my feel is the instant torque plus FWD causes the front wheels to spin if you accelerate too fast from standstill not so much on straight but more on turn.

Just wondering if this would not happen if it were RWD?

Do you feel it because of the downshift?

If wheel already spin, power will be cut & ABS light will come on.

RWD your car will fish tail.

Best is AWD! Haha

post-16870-0-58708600-1487756081.jpg

• Praise 1

Do you feel it because of the downshift?

If wheel already spin, power will be cut & ABS light will come on.

I don't think it's cos of downshift and no power cut nor ABS light on.

Quite a few of the 2GT guys experience this but now we know there is this potential spin, we are mindful of it so under control but nevertheless curious why this is so?

• Praise 3

I don't think it's cos of downshift and no power cut nor ABS light on.

Quite a few of the 2GT guys experience this but now we know there is this potential spin, we are mindful of it so under control but nevertheless curious why this is so?

Unlikely wheel spin and no ABS light on. 

I tested my car DSC at junction of Republic Ave & Ophir Road under hard acceleration and it works.  That junction is very sandy.  Under hard accelaration, ABS light will on.  Mind you, my little car has 240NM.

Unlikely wheel spin and no ABS light on. 

I tested my car DSC at junction of Republic Ave & Ophir Road under hard acceleration and it works.  That junction is very sandy.  Under hard accelaration, ABS light will on.  Mind you, my little car has 240NM.

Hmm......maybe I'll try it out again on a quiet road. The 2 times I had it was in the earlier days of ownership and the road not slippery not sandy. Just that I was too enthusiastic at a turn from standstill as I stepped on the accelerator whilst in a hurry.

• Praise 5

2 different cars. Easier to compare Touran and 2GT. I got the latter... when I am driving the car, I enjoy it. When I need to put my 1.5m kids in the last row, I want to sell the car.

So really depends on what you need it for.

• Praise 2

Your comments on the 3rd row, I feel many will not agree.

As an adult, you will be literally sitting on the platform and your knees almost to your chest level. Those with low back pain problems will not be able to get out of the seat after a 30min drive.

2-series-grand-r-s-b.jpg

I found a pic of the Sharan 3rd row... seems to be the same reviewer in the photo

volkswagen-sharan-mpv-2015-rearmost-seat

My 2 teenage boys have gotten used to sitting in the rear seats as it more than suits their needs (and legs).

Edited by Presea
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3