Renault Alpine A110

Sdf4786k

Had a test drive at a Wearnes this evening - well, technically last evening, since I'm writing this a little past midnight.

Didn't take any photos since I did that at the car show (even though that was an LHD unit), but the car is still a stunner in blue. Absolutely love this colour on the car.

Ergonomics-wise, the seating position in the bucket seat is way too high for me. My eyes are nearly level with the top of the windscreen. It is not vertically adjustable by the user, but they said they could fix it lower for me were I to buy it. The horizontal adjustment and steering adjustments are absolutely fine. Driving position is not unlivable, though I expect that the height issue would eventually drive me a little crazy if it weren't taken care of. They may also be bringing in the fully adjustable seat, but that will likely weigh a lot more.

The car makes all the right sounds, and the pops, crackles and trills from the exhaust are quite endearing. I am assured that this is real sound, though I have my doubts.

The car was reasonably spritely off the line. It doesn't exactly have a towering power rating, but the lower weight does work in its favour. Nice nippy little car, not exactly something I would consider really fast, but certainly something I could have fun in while not risking my licence. In Normal mode, the car upshifts for you really early.In Sport mode (the selector button is very conveniently located right on the steering, at the five o' clock position), the shifts are delayed significantly. There's also a manual mode you can apparently engage by holding down the D(rive) button, but the salesperson didn't see to know this (and I hadn't watched detailed youtube videos beforehand so as not to prejudice myself). However, he did show me the Track mode (not sure if that's what they call it, but that's pretty much what it is). That's engaged by holding down the Sport button on the steering. You get a horizontal rev counter with shift indicators and the digital rpm count is also nicely displayed. The shift behaviour completely changes - in this mode, the car will bounce off the limiter as a proper track car should (in other modes, the car forces an upshift at most at redline). There's also a cute touch with angle readings to the left and right that show you the steering angle just in case the blue stripe at 12 o' clock should prove insufficient for your needs - though I cannot fathom ever actually being able to use this feature on a track since the readings are so small and practically illegible even in normal driving conditions. The stability control is also muted in Track mode. I did most of the test drive in this mode. The fixed, column-mounted paddle shifts were nice and crisp and easy to actuate.

The little levers in the center console seem very Lambo inspired, and I thought they were a nice touch.

Handling-wise, I couldn't really give it a proper shake-down. Traffic just wasn't cooperating, and every time I wanted to give it the beans in a turn, there would be some laggard in front of me. Oh well. It felt well-balanced for what it's worth, but I have to be honest and say that I couldn't fully evaluate this aspect of the drive.

Let's see, what else - luggage space is practically non-existent in the rear (you can get a large handbag in there, and that's about it). The front compartment is more usable in terms of two dimensional layout, but seemed a little shallow. The mid-rear mounted engine is very modestly covered and impossible to gawk at, so that's mildly disappointing. I did take the opportunity to reverse park the car, and it was a doddle, it's so tiny. No reverse camera, it doesn't need it.

Now for the fly in the ointment. They're asking for something like 285k inclusive of COE. Rather steep, but I think it's more attractively priced than the similarly powered Lotus Elise S models when they were on sale brand new.

Would I have preferred a manual in this car? Maybe, but the ergonomics might have been tricky for me. I tried simulating a foot pivot (heel-toe), and my knee immediately knocked into the steering. If I can't heel toe, there's no point in driving a manual. Given the nice feel of the 7 speed DCT, I don't think the car loses anything in the engagement department with it.

The other thing that gave me a bit of pause is the rumoured 300 (well, 296) hp version that's supposed to come out later this year. And there's a spyder version too. Might be worth waiting for.

So: overall, a nice little car that's perfectly suited for B road drives and the occasional track day. And a car you can actually have fun with on the daily commute without worrying about your licence. But there may be better specced versions on the near horizon.

As long as you dont have to remove the bumper for a oil change, I am sure price correctly, it will do well.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thanks for the very detail review

Really envy your job.

Just curious what is the RRP?

In this price range what other cars will be its nearest competition?

Thanks bro. My job? I'm no professional in the car industry or anything like that, just an enthusiast. :)

Based on what I'm seeing on the net, you can get the car for something like 58,000 gbp in the UK. That's 91k sgd. The indicative price here without coe should be around 230k. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me about the calculation of margins can work out if this is a fair price.

Competitors - I've already mentioned the Lotus, but the new models aren't really comparable in my opinion. As someone mentioned the cayman 718 is. Price wise they are highly comparable elsewhere but in Sg, I believe stuttgart makes you pay a Porsche premium with a markup so even the base model is more ex. So it's less worth it. In any case, between a cayman pdk and this I'd definitely take the Alpine for sheer rarity and quirkiness. Porsches are just too common and the common models are too boring. But if faced with a choice between this and a true manual cayman, I'll have a tough time.

• Praise 4

Thanks bro. My job? I'm no professional in the car industry or anything like that, just an enthusiast. :)

Based on what I'm seeing on the net, you can get the car for something like 58,000 gbp in the UK. That's 91k sgd. The indicative price here without coe should be around 230k. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me about the calculation of margins can work out if this is a fair price.

Competitors - I've already mentioned the Lotus, but the new models aren't really comparable in my opinion. As someone mentioned the cayman 718 is. Price wise they are highly comparable elsewhere but in Sg, I believe stuttgart makes you pay a Porsche premium with a markup so even the base model is more ex. So it's less worth it. In any case, between a cayman pdk and this I'd definitely take the Alpine for sheer rarity and quirkiness. Porsches are just too common and the common models are too boring. But if faced with a choice between this and a true manual cayman, I'll have a tough time.

If it’s 230k, it’s a sweet price as a Audi S3 goes for about that price after negotiations.

The downside is of course it’s interior build quality and finishing.

If itâs 230k, itâs a sweet price as a Audi S3 goes for about that price after negotiations.

The downside is of course itâs interior build quality and finishing.

List price is 285k inclusive of COE. It's not a sweet price in my opinion.

They had fixed the price before the latest uptrend in COE, so the price may not last. It may get worse (higher).

Value-wise, Audi S3 is better. But common and boring.

Edited by Turboflat4

List price is 285k inclusive of COE. It's not a sweet price in my opinion.

They had fixed the price before the latest uptrend in COE, so the price may not last. It may get worse (higher).

Value-wise, Audi S3 is better. But common and boring.

I suppose the blue test drive unit would be a very decent price.. I recall the white Clio RS that was used as a test drive was also reasonably priced

I suppose the blue test drive unit would be a very decent price.. I recall the white Clio RS that was used as a test drive was also reasonably priced

Sure you want a test drive unit? I've test driven it.

Sure you want a test drive unit? I've test driven it. ð

Oops ..

Renault higher bin engines should be safe enough to breeched the rev limits I suppose even if “loot” it will not result in becoming a money shift issue.

Oops ..

Renault higher bin engines should be safe enough to breeched the rev limits I suppose even if âlootâ it will not result in becoming a money shift issue.

ð

For 200k yes, probably.For 280k with a few k discount no ..

Haha

The car was reasonably spritely off the line. It doesn't exactly have a towering power rating, but the lower weight does work in its favour. Nice nippy little car, not exactly something I would consider really fast, but certainly something I could have fun in while not risking my licence. I

What kind of car are you driving usually? I found the power delivery pretty awesome when I test drove that car last year. 

I would have to be careful not to lose my licence with this car. I got a ticket a few weeks ago doing 91 instead of 70 on Lornie Rd without even realizing that I was doing that speed in my sedate CLK cabriolet. The police notice was describing me as a dangerous criminal who was putting other citizen's life at risk. With the A110 I would have probably been sentence to be terminated one and for all!  :a-rip:

What kind of car are you driving usually? I found the power delivery pretty awesome when I test drove that car last year.

I would have to be careful not to lose my licence with this car. I got a ticket a few weeks ago doing 91 instead of 70 on Lornie Rd without even realizing that I was doing that speed in my sedate CLK cabriolet. The police notice was describing me as a dangerous criminal who was putting other citizen's life at risk. With the A110 I would have probably been sentence to be terminated one and for all! :a-rip:

My daily is a McLaren 12C with 616 hp.

My alternate is a chipped BMW M140i making close to 400hp.

I've been driving cars north of 600hp for most of the last 5 years or so.

So - yes, the Alpine is quick. But not what I'd consider brutally fast. Power is highly usable for fun without too much risk to one's licence. But you have to know when and where to play a little. Lornie road is a horrible place with regard to enforcement, I agree.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

So - yes, the Alpine is quick. But not what I'd consider brutally fast. Power is highly usable for fun without too much risk to one's licence. But you have to know when and where to play a little. Lornie road is a horrible place with regard to enforcement, I agree.

Sure, coming from those cars, the A110 could feel quite slow. I (unfortunately) do not have the same reference point.

Sure, coming from those cars, the A110 could feel quite slow. I (unfortunately) do not have the same reference point.

Yeah it's all relative. But it is a nice car.

One thing I forgot to check is whether it has a speed limiter function. I don't use cruise but I use the limiter daily. That's saved my licence in places like Lornie Road.

Edited by Turboflat4

Do u have a driving impression of the A86. that would be a strong contender Sans power of the Alpine

Yeah it's all relative. But it is a nice car.

One thing I forgot to check is whether it has a speed limiter function. I don't use cruise but I use the limiter daily. That's saved my licence in places like Lornie Road.

been up and down lornie many times doing 80.

Which part of lornie do someone get hit with speeding?

The last instance was at the dempsey hill side that I understand to be a hot spot

Do u have a driving impression of the A86. that would be a strong contender Sans power of the Alpine

been up and down lornie many times doing 80.

Which part of lornie do someone get hit with speeding?

The last instance was at the dempsey hill side that I understand to be a hot spot

A86? You mean the FT/GT86/BRZ? Been a while since I drove the Toyota 86 (more than 3 years ago) but I don't remember being overly impressed with it. Of course, it's very underpowered but that car needs to be tossed around a lot to get the fun factor to manifest, and you can't very well do that in public roads. Certainly not on a test drive. I know there was an idiot showing off his drifting skills on a public U turn recently, and I don't condone this. It just brings more heat to bear on our car enthusiast communities. In contrast, the Alpine felt much more alive, even without the manual in the 86.

Lornie has two main hotspots when travelling from Thomson toward Farrer road. The bridge just after the flyover begins (very commonly manned and indicated by a TP cam zone sign) and one of the bridges near the divergence of Farrer Rd/Bt Timah road (less commonly manned and not signed immediately before).

With the new design they could easily put cameras up on the newly built middle bridge now, so anything goes. It's a very dangerous area to speed. Limit function is very helpful.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Engine is from the Megane RS slightly detuned so I doubt reliability will be poor, plus its built in a dedicated factory in Dieppe where production is only 15 cars a day so. Its practically hand-built. 

↡ Advertisement