Suzuki swift, Mit Lancer, Hyundai Verna or Kia?

Dannyk

Neutral Newbie

Hi, which of the above choices will you get for car about 9 year old, be it an OPC or normal plate.

Please advise...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Lancer lor.

More sheet metals, got back side, MIJ and with rear independent suspension. More worth. [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool

surely go for swift sports 1.6...zippy drive and powerful. if can get manual lagi best! Check the clutch and brake system to be sure before deciding...

Twincharged

I was told by my mechanic that between Verna and Lancer, Verna got less problems and cheaper to maintain. Got a Verna in the end. Lasted all the way till its 10th year without any problems except for wear and tear. No experience with the rest of the cars you comparing with.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 2

Actually, any of these cars are generally reliable, as long as you are very careful during selection and don't get one which is already problem-ridden.

At 9 years old, most of the cars on the market are bound to have wear and tear issues. Unless you are extremely familiar with the mechanical parts of a car, you would do best to bring a qualified mechanic with you when viewing cars, or even better, ask the seller to bring the car to your regular workshop for a thorough inspection. 

And do not expect to buy such a car and do nothing to it, despite what the seller may say. You might be lucky enough to get one with almost all wear and tear replaced, but at the very least, you should get the engine oil, ATF, brake fluid, and coolant changed upon taking over, so that you will have no trouble for the rest of its lifespan. If there is no date on the battery or the battery is older than a year old (if it is the maintenance free type), you might want to change it too, so that you won't get stranded one day just when you are in a hurry.

Hi, which of the above choices will you get for car about 9 year old, be it an OPC or normal plate.

Please advise...

Agree with this. My family's rental business purchased an 8 year old Verna two years back. People who presumably only "heard from friends or acquaintances" warned us to stay away from Korean cars as they are more problematic. But the Verna proved to be one of the most problem-free and reliable cars in our fleet till this day, even with heavy and possibly rough usage by hundreds of different hirers.

The car is extremely simple and no-frills. For the 1.4l versions, even the mirrors are not power-operated and have to be adjusted by hand with a lever from inside the car! But most importantly, there are less complicated electronics to go wrong. Have since recommended two friends who just wanted Point A to Point B cars to get Vernas and they have never regretted their decisions.

I was told by my mechanic that between Verna and Lancer, Verna got less problems and cheaper to maintain. Got a Verna in the end. Lasted all the way till its 10th year without any problems except for wear and tear. No experience with the rest of the cars you comparing with.

• Praise 1

I drove a Getz for 10 years and it was very reliable

So I think the Verna should be similar as well.

:)

• Praise 4

Which Kia?

I think they're all broadly similar reliability wise. Swift is quite small inside but a nice drive and economical. Lancer, reliable but boring. Verna is okay, simple and affordable and generally fuss free.

Any one of them would be a good choice honestly.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, thank you for all the valuable feedback. Meanwhile have to go to SGcarmart to see for any good deals around... [;)]

By the way, is OPC car more reliable or less problem as the mileage is low as compared to normal plate vehicle?

Hi all, thank you for all the valuable feedback. Meanwhile have to go to SGcarmart to see for any good deals around... [;)]

By the way, is OPC car more reliable or less problem as the mileage is low as compared to normal plate vehicle?

Really depends alot of the previous owners. Their driving styles, their willingness to not save on maintenance etc. Lower mileage doesn't mean less problems.

• Praise 1

surely go for swift sports 1.6...zippy drive and powerful. if can get manual lagi best! Check the clutch and brake system to be sure before deciding...

No no..if like what you described I am sure previous owner surely done the same..

I go for mit lancer.

Really depends alot of the previous owners. Their driving styles, their willingness to not save on maintenance etc. Lower mileage doesn't mean less problems.

Agreed. If 5th 6th year probably go for opc. However since 9th yo car I would prefer work horse..with mileages.

Neutral Newbie

Is it worth to send the vehicle for STA car evaluation before deciding the purchase? What will the car dealers do if the evaluation report is not favourable, to replace all faulty items or full deposit refund?

No no..if like what you described I am sure previous owner surely done the same..

I go for mit lancer.

Agreed. If 5th 6th year probably go for opc. However since 9th yo car I would prefer work horse..with mileages.

Of course the same, cos swift sports lasak and kuat...after service, it is still as new ride...no issue with it...after 7 years ride...

↡ Advertisement