Seat Ateca

Aukang

Turbocharged

Saw the car in the flesh on Sat when checking out the Leon Cupra.

Nice and good specs.

Pricing starts from $14x,xxx.

3 trims. Do not believe wholesale what one see in SG carmart.

Specs and pricing might not be accurate or updated. Some ADs will list high prices and then either give overtrade or disc.

As to whether it is "worth" it. Depends on individual.

• Praise 1

Saw the car in the flesh on Sat when checking out the Leon Cupra.

Nice and good specs.

Pricing starts from $14x,xxx.

3 trims. Do not believe wholesale what one see in SG carmart.

Specs and pricing might not be accurate or updated. Some ADs will list high prices and then either give overtrade or disc.

As to whether it is "worth" it. Depends on individual.

Saw the car yesterday.

No test drive car as it is not officially launched.

Selling at SGD 140k means not much difference from the VW Tiguan. Asked SE why should I buy this over the Tiguan. SE can only tell me that it's about buying a different brand, etc.

Actually not very convinced. I think it would sell well if they bring in the 2WD 1.0l version rather than the AWD 1.4l version

very soon seat will disappear in the market again.

reason is plain to see for all. Obviously some people think that seat is a premium brand while its not.

good quality car no doubt but the marketing sucks.

• Praise 4

This is a result of lousy mgt..

Failed sales plan and never or dun bother to understand the market deeply..

Pay peanuts get monkey..

• Praise 2

Think only a few ADs can revive this brand, e.g. Worms. :D

Look at Reno... The least reliable French car by market perception also can sell relatively well here. [:p]

The before sale and after sale services are at least a notch up against the competitors. Only issue is, expensive servicing. But, most things can be replaced FOC within warranty.  [:)] 

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Saw the car yesterday.

No test drive car as it is not officially launched.

Selling at SGD 140k means not much difference from the VW Tiguan. Asked SE why should I buy this over the Tiguan. SE can only tell me that it's about buying a different brand, etc.

Actually not very convinced. I think it would sell well if they bring in the 2WD 1.0l version rather than the AWD 1.4l version

Reading & watching all the european car reviews lead me to this belief

Audi - Premium brand & quality

VW - Mass market brand with quality nearer to premium

Skoda - Mass market with bang for bucks

SEAT - Mass market with sporty inclination

In short, in terms of brand prestige and price point

Audi > VW > Skoda/SEAT

Edited by Notsogoodman
  • Praise 2

Audi > VW > Skoda/SEAT

Yes high level you are precisely right.

But interestingly, it seems that if you spec up a Tiguan and a Ateca exactly the same in the UK (possible with the 2.0TDI), price difference is very marginal to almost flat.

It seems how the VW group effects the brand hierarchy is by the offering of lower specs for the Ateca range and not for the Tiguan range ie Ateca engine choices are 1.0TSI/1.4TSI/1.6TDI/2.0TDI but for the Tiguan, it's 2.0TSI/2.0TDI only.

In Singapore, both the Ateca and the Tiguan are offered with the same 1.4TSI engine, which explains the similar pricing.

Perhaps SEAT should have brought in the 1.0TSI Ateca instead...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Looking at the Ateca options on the UK / Ireland site, the 1.0L engine is only available with manual gearbox. I guess this might be why its not brought in, coz not many people now would want to drive manual.

Also recently saw the VW Tiguan Comfortline at their roadshow in Vivo.. The whole layout and feel when I sat in the driver seat is so similar to Ateca.. If I cover the badge on the steering, I honestly can't tell if its Tiguan or Ateca. Specs wise I find both very similar. Others online and car reviews always say that the Tiguan is more premium, but honestly I can't tell.

I would say it all boils down to price, preference for the looks and the brand. Some might say for the price of the Ateca, might as well pay a bit more to get the Tiguan.. But I could argue that the Ateca is similar the Tiguan but for a lower price.

• Praise 1

Looking at the Ateca options on the UK / Ireland site, the 1.0L engine is only available with manual gearbox. I guess this might be why its not brought in, coz not many people now would want to drive manual.

Also recently saw the VW Tiguan Comfortline at their roadshow in Vivo.. The whole layout and feel when I sat in the driver seat is so similar to Ateca.. If I cover the badge on the steering, I honestly can't tell if its Tiguan or Ateca. Specs wise I find both very similar. Others online and car reviews always say that the Tiguan is more premium, but honestly I can't tell.

I would say it all boils down to price, preference for the looks and the brand. Some might say for the price of the Ateca, might as well pay a bit more to get the Tiguan.. But I could argue that the Ateca is similar the Tiguan but for a lower price.

However also have to look at the aftersales services.

Let's hope Vortex would be as honorable as Volkswagen Singapore.

Some said ateca price around the same as Tiguan, might as well buy Tiguan. To me, I will avoid both, damn hate to buy a car with a twin brother around :p some more in sg car is not cheap.

Some said ateca price around the same as Tiguan, might as well buy Tiguan. To me, I will avoid both, damn hate to buy a car with a twin brother around :p some more in sg car is not cheap.

Haha, you have a point but there are a lot of mechanical twins out there with all the platform sharing that automakers are doing.

The entire VW group, including Audi, shares many parts. Then there's Land Rover/Jaguar, Hyundai-Kia, Toyota-Daihatsu, Nissan-Renault etc.

Too much to think about bro...

• Praise 1

Audi > VW > Skoda/SEAT

Just when there is a nice Skoda model available, the agent seizes to be around. SO you either have to be brave enough to go PI or look at alternative brand like SEAT.

I notice that the SEAT Cupra R is still the not the facelifted version.

Wonder how the prices will be like as the new one is 300bhp .

• Praise 1

Haha, you have a point but there are a lot of mechanical twins out there with all the platform sharing that automakers are doing.

The entire VW group, including Audi, shares many parts. Then there's Land Rover/Jaguar, Hyundai-Kia, Toyota-Daihatsu, Nissan-Renault etc.

Too much to think about bro...

I am more keen on mechanically similar and able to save a few thousand dollars and yet enjoy the similar driving experience.

Its like buying a outskirt of town condo then a D10 condo with a similar developer design and build quality.

Not going to pile up debt just because my neighbour owns a merc

Saw the Ateca in person yesterday. 

Was suitably impressed.

- Everything feels very solid and well put together.

- Buttons had the right amount of damping, and had little free play

- The head unit was responsive, with good definition screen

- Also liked the seat material - not leather, some velvety/alcatara type material, which I thought was a nice change of pace (though I imagine it could get a bit warm on hot days)

- Design wise, I think i actually prefer the sportier design language of the Ateca to that of the Tiguan

On the [minor] downsides, the some of the plastics in the front of the cabin are harder than that of the Tiguan (but still feels like good quality plastics). In a sense, there is more consistency throughout the Ateca cabin in this regards. The Tiguan has high quality materials in the front of the cabin, but has a lot of hard plastics in the second row, and in the centre storage compartment in the front. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2