Seat Ateca

Aukang

36 minutes ago, Splinter said:

Earlier, I tried to solicit feedback on GLA180 and there are some car owners who are passionate about their rides, so I didn't want to cause any discontentment. :)

Anyhow, here's my short and subjective sharing:

• Audi Q2 - Suspension was a little hard. Engine a little raspy during acceleration and I was told it's the characteristic of 3-cylinder engine. Bare car with no notable equipment except for auto tailgate and ambient light.
  • Skoda Karoq - Good ride, nothing to complain about. There's storage space throughout the car interior. 
  • Peugeot 3008 - The most comfortable ride out of all, the suspension absorbed road humps extremely well. SE is confident with the suspension, she asked me to accelerate over road hump which I did. 
  • SEAT Ateca 2WD / 4WD: Similar to Skoda, nothing to complain about. Not sure did the 4WD kick in during test drive since 4WD is on demand. My butt-o-meter gave good rating for 4WD when going over humps. On paper, 2WD has higher top speed, didn't drive fast enough to test that. :P Well-equipped with ACC.
  • Mercedes GLA180 - Engine noise is the worse out of all the cars I test drove, very hard suspension. 
  • BMW 216i Active Tourer - sportier ride and despite engine having less power and slower acceleration than GLA180, I can't feel a hint of underpower.

For all my test drives, auto start-stop was disabled, aircon set to lowest speed with FM volume on mute. 

Acceleration feel the same for 2WD and 4WD?

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Splinter said:

Nice to see some active discussion today! 

My car hunt started some time in August - triggered by a series of Facebook ads on PI Mercedes Benz GLA180. It looks good and at the same time, within my means.

I started with viewing and test driving Mercedes GLA180 and Audi Q2. Coming from a full-spec kimchi car, I was surprise at the lack of equipment, e.g. blind spot detection, memory seats, keyless entry. For me, the bare minimum will be blind spot detection and keyless entry. 

That aside, I had test drove below cars:

• Audi Q2 - test drove twice
  • Skoda Karoq
  • Peugeot 3008 - The most comfortable ride out of all, the suspension absorbed road humps extremely well
  • SEAT Ateca 2WD
  • SEAT Ateca 4WD
  • Mercedes GLA180
  • BMW 216i Active Tourer - sportier ride and despite engine having less power and slower acceleration than GLA180, I can't feel a hint of underpower.

Unless upon request, I will not share too much of my driving experience of the cars as it's subjective and I do not want to create any discontentment. 🙂

Initially, it was between Skoda Karoq and SEAT Ateca. At similar price point for Skoda Karoq (Style) and SEAT Ateca 4WD, I was won over by SEAT's multi-link suspension and DQ250 gearbox.

BMW 216i AT was a last minute contender during car expo . Price is not too far apart (< 10k) with the attractive overtrade offered by BMW. But I am also conscious that overtrade is not a discount per se, my loan amount is still based on the retail price, i.e. higher interest.

In the end, I stayed with my decision to go with SEAT. Really appreciate the SEAT SE who has been patient with me. 🙂

Hi,

Can I know why you did not consider Opel Grandland X and the reasons? Its sharing the same platform as the Pug 3008 previously. Just that the 3008 now comes in 1.6L and 8AT. 

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Acceleration feel the same for 2WD and 4WD?

Personally, I can't feel any significant difference. Then again, I test drove the 4WD a week apart, this may affect my judgment. 

2 hours ago, Wormee said:

Hi,

Can I know why you did not consider Opel Grandland X and the reasons? Its sharing the same platform as the Pug 3008 previously. Just that the 3008 now comes in 1.6L and 8AT. 

Cheers. 

I didn't shortlist it for superficial reason - I don't like the floating armrest design. 😅

• Praise 3

On 10/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, Splinter said:

Nice to see some active discussion today! 

My car hunt started some time in August - triggered by a series of Facebook ads on PI Mercedes Benz GLA180. It looks good and at the same time, within my means.

I started with viewing and test driving Mercedes GLA180 and Audi Q2. Coming from a full-spec kimchi car, I was surprise at the lack of equipment, e.g. blind spot detection, memory seats, keyless entry. For me, the bare minimum will be blind spot detection and keyless entry. 

That aside, I had test drove below cars:

• Audi Q2 - test drove twice
  • Skoda Karoq
  • Peugeot 3008 - The most comfortable ride out of all, the suspension absorbed road humps extremely well
  • SEAT Ateca 2WD
  • SEAT Ateca 4WD
  • Mercedes GLA180

Unless upon request, I will not share too much of my driving experience of the cars as it's subjective and I do not want to create any discontentment. 🙂

Initially, it was between Skoda Karoq and SEAT Ateca. At similar price point for Skoda Karoq (Style) and SEAT Ateca 4WD, I was won over by SEAT's multi-link suspension and DQ250 gearbox.

BMW 216i AT was a last minute contender during car expo . Price is not too far apart (< 10k) with the attractive overtrade offered by BMW. But I am also conscious that overtrade is not a discount per se, my loan amount is still based on the retail price, i.e. higher interest.

In the end, I stayed with my decision to go with SEAT. Really appreciate the SEAT SE who has been patient with me. 🙂

Congrats bro! In the end, how much did you close deal on SEAT Ateca and which variant? Pls PM if don't want to say here. Thanks. 🙂

9 hours ago, Ano727 said:

Congrats bro! In the end, how much did you close deal on SEAT Ateca and which variant? Pls PM if don't want to say here. Thanks. 🙂

I can share my SE contact if you are interested, I am sure something can be worked out.  :)

I took the 4WD variant as the price premium is still within my budget. The main differences between 2WD and 4WD:

• On demand 4WD 
    Ateca is essentially still FWD but with 4WD system that distribute power to the rear wheels when the needs arise, e.g. front wheels losing grip. Ateca is using the latest Haldex system (5th Gen). In my research, I found that Volvo is using Haldex system as well. Anyhow, from wikipedia:

Haldex is used by Audi on the quattro versions of the Audi S1, Audi A3, Audi S3, and the Audi TT. It is also used by Volkswagen in the 4motion versions of the Mk4 and Mk5 generations of Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta, and the Golf R32, Volkswagen Sharan, 6th generation VW Passat (also based on the A-platform) and Transporter T5. On the Audis, the trademark holds, and are still referred to as quattro, whereas the Volkswagens receive the 4motion name. The Škoda Octavia 4x4 and SEAT León 4 and SEAT Alhambra 4 also used Haldex LSC, being based on Volkswagen Group models. Curiously, the Bugatti Veyron also utilizes Haldex, though with separate transmission, PTU and front and rear axles.

• Multilink suspension

• DQ250 gearbox
    The 4WD variant is using VW DQ250 gearbox instead of DQ200. Between DQ200 and DQ250, DQ200 was the more problematic gearbox that gave VW a bad name but I believe the issue had been rectified since 2013 and not a problem anymore (based on my research here - https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=2943). Regardless, DQ250 should be more reliable because of its 'wet' design.  
  • Praise 5

In their marketing, they put it as "Haldex-based on-demand 4WD system." This is probably not a 4WD system, it is more commonly called AWD. 

For normal cars, acceleration for AWD is usually slower because the car is heavier due to the extra equipment. AWD is useful for tougher terrain.

14 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

In their marketing, they put it as "Haldex-based on-demand 4WD system." This is probably not a 4WD system, it is more commonly called AWD. 

For normal cars, acceleration for AWD is usually slower because the car is heavier due to the extra equipment. AWD is useful for tougher terrain.

nobody really wants the AWD here lah. Though if really rainy day, then give u some added confidence. 

More like paying for multi-link and the DQ250

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

I think the terms are used loosely. From another resource, it says Haldex is 4WD and not AWD:

Haldex AWD is not actually ‘proper’ all-wheel drive.  AWD systems refer to drivetrains in which all 4 wheels are permanently driven.  Due to loss of traction etc, these systems may apportion additional torque to wheels with more traction, sometimes even up to 100% of the torque, leaving certain wheels temporarily un-driven, but their standard setup drives all wheels of the vehicle.

For that reason, Haldex is not all-wheel drive, but is instead four-wheel drive (4WD).

We don't really need it for Singapore and it wasn't the main motivator for me as well. For me, it's the DQ250 and multi-link suspension that made me choose 4WD variant. :)

3 hours ago, Splinter said:

I think the terms are used loosely. From another resource, it says Haldex is 4WD and not AWD:

We don't really need it for Singapore and it wasn't the main motivator for me as well. For me, it's the DQ250 and multi-link suspension that made me choose 4WD variant. :)

Got the COE?

On 10/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, Lala81 said:

nobody really wants the AWD here lah. Though if really rainy day, then give u some added confidence. 

More like paying for multi-link and the DQ250

AWD or 4WD is not even required in whatever weather condition unless you are drifting or tracking. For Subaru, it is unfortunate that AWD is their signature feature which also explains why their sales in North America is high. Imagine Subaru drops this AWD, they will be just any car maker without much differentiation factor though outside of snowing region or tough terrain , it is never required.

48 minutes ago, Sopskysalat said:

AWD or 4WD is not even required in whatever weather condition unless you are drifting or tracking. For Subaru, it is unfortunate that AWD is their signature feature which also explains why their sales in North America is high. Imagine Subaru drops this AWD, they will be just any car maker without much differentiation factor though outside of snowing region or tough terrain , it is never required.

So to you, a 2wd car can navigate 'tough terrain', can go off roading, no need for 4wd at all?

On 11/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, Falc said:

So to you, a 2wd car can navigate 'tough terrain', can go off roading, no need for 4wd at all?

I mentioned outside of snow/tough terrain. On asphalt road, there is really need not for AWD no matter how you drive because it is not possible to do mad drive too on daily roads.

4 hours ago, Sopskysalat said:

I mentioned outside of snow/tough terrain. On asphalt road, there is really need not for AWD no matter how you drive because it is not possible to do mad drive too on daily roads.

Wet, especially semi wet, conditions favour AWD too. Floods then no difference. Lol

↡ Advertisement