Calling All Line Managers: "Bell Curve" and rating your team

Sabian

Turbocharged

Most companies already do that.

They give a higher weighting to top management

saying they have more responsibility so they should

get a bigger portion of the bonus then they multiply by

salary and get an even bigger portion of the bonus.

Employee earning 2k get 1.5 months bonus will get 3k bonus.

Manager earning 10k get 1.5 months bonus will get 15k bonus.

3k vs 15k.

:D

The they another 2 months to managers for their add responsibility.

i heard that..

↡ Advertisement

Inverted bell (or whatever you call it) is a good idea, it will make the few Directors very happy because they have a larger portion of the $ pie.

You just need to worry about your peers who are the same level as you.

Which would you choose? [laugh]

I choose OUT haha..

In some MNCs, the dept heads/managers get a car allowance of 2K/month which is already the salary of ground staff.

And some dept heads/managers make their teams contribute monthly funds for regular makan/gathering sessions in the name of company's staff welfare. :XD:

Most companies already do that.

They give a higher weighting to top management

saying they have more responsibility so they should

get a bigger portion of the bonus then they multiply by

salary and get an even bigger portion of the bonus.

Employee earning 2k get 1.5 months bonus will get 3k bonus.

Manager earning 10k get 1.5 months bonus will get 15k bonus.

3k vs 15k.

The they another 2 months to managers for their add responsibility.

• Praise 1

In some MNCs, the dept heads/managers get a car allowance of 2K/month which is already the salary of ground staff.

And some dept heads/managers make their teams contribute monthly funds for regular makan/gathering sessions in the name of company's staff welfare. :XD:

Make you go for after work activities,

make you pay for the privilege

and then tell you its for your own

welfare.  [thumbsup]

Yes, serving NS is also a privilege.  [thumbsup]

Make you go for after work activities,

make you pay for the privilege

and then tell you its for your own

welfare.  [thumbsup]

Yes, this bell curve thing is crap. Been putting up with it for years...

Curious as to how other companies rate/appraise staff if not using this stupid bell curve model. 

Anyone can shed light?

Its very simple.

Just fix it so top management gets the most.

Then middle management gets the next biggest portion

and the staff that do all the work gets the least.

Why do you think people are killing each other

scrambling to get to the top? 

All must be good what. Otherwise, it's the hiring managers fault you know. If the staff does not fit, shouldn't he/she be invited to leave instead of wasting time with the bell curve and lim kopi/tea session?

Think North Korea is very good at all kinds of curve  :grin:

That's why North Korea is developing weapons of mass destruction instead of better farming technology.

Can't blame them, they know getting to the top works (by hook or by crook)!

Hypersonic

Curious as to how other companies rate/appraise staff if not using this stupid bell curve model. 

Anyone can shed light?

i went through a period in my company when there were no performance appraisals and all staff gets the same bonus % depending on company performance of that year

slackers like me reap the most benefits under this system

unfortunately we have since moved on to an appraisal system based on the bell curve

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 1

I really don't know why but I never liked any performance

appraisal systems that paid more to the harder working

employees. This is just bad for morale when you see

other people getting a much bigger bonus.

We should be fair to all and pay the same.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Anyone can shed light?

bell curve serves as instrumental filter for HR to manage line supervisors/managers in rating their ppl, not aganst performance but a statistical funnel or tool

performances can be easily justifiable in the appraisal system where singulations can be pointed out for judgements

monetary awards nowadays are usually formulated with company's financial inputs (good performance does not relate to good profit/margin etc.), i.e. absolute growth against past GBP constaht rate, Actual FX, business acquisitions & disposals etc.

these days, one's delivery not only to sustain performance by achieving targets but also tagged along with company's setbacks.  so, the functional departments must know how to segregate its ppl from these impacts

usually, global formulaes do not work on the same basis from Area/Cluster/Regional; . . . . .

lets say global HQ forecasted this fund seen as "reward pie" to the regions, then decides to distribute evenly to the countries, sites, departments etc.  it will still be based on biz operating or products models etc. and HR will segregate based on local terms etc.

local agencies & board funds, taxations, market pricings, GBP/GDP growths, inflations etc. also comes into considerations

above can also financially partitioned as shares under global risks that complicates detections

not to mention that there is peer appraisals too

so, what do above tell us?

its just loads & loads of BS when it comes to rewarding even if one has achieved or exelled in his/her objectives, goals & targets....

"how much or how can you save year on year . . . . .?'' this will be asked too!

Finally, it is also the "Contributing Factors" that a company focus on!

if one belongs to that company's focus and able to call the shots, be it at regional or global levels - the monetary curve model can be flat and very fat......

besides besides ''jaga'' his/her functional teams contributions when it comes to monetary rewards, and constantly level with HR on global market rates (not just local) to level his/her ppls' payscales and bandwidths etc., Line Mgrs must also know how to secure company's focus & its funds mentioned (i.e. eyeing on big tickets!) from the top

feel free to ignore above, just taking a break now 

Edited by A_korusawa
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

If you're a line mgr, how do you feel about the bell curve and having to shoehorn the way you rate your team to fit the distribution?

Is it realistic to expect the same outcome for each department regardless of their differences?

The normal distribution works only if you're measuring the same things which obviously is not the case because departments work on different things.

I personally think it's not a very effective tool for assessing performance. It is pretty similar to the stack ranking system which was disastrously implemented by Marissa Mayer in Yahoo.

The normal distribution works only if you're measuring the same things which obviously is not the case because departments work on different things.

I personally think it's not a very effective tool for assessing performance. It is pretty similar to the stack ranking system which was disastrously implemented by Marissa Mayer in Yahoo.

I always thought you likr Bell ...... its free wgt.
  • Praise 1

I stack on you ai Mai, biatch? Edited by Happily1986
  • Praise 1