Tyre Sealant Anyone Used Before?

alfakidz85

Hi. I will be going up Malaysia for a road trip with my family on my wife's Mazda 3 this end of April and have a few safety concerns. Penang to be exact. Distance wise it's gonna be the longest I've ever travelled. Have a few concerns since I have two kids with me. Do you all actually keep a spare tyre in your boot? My wife's Mazda 3 does not have one. I do have tyre repair kits on hand like your usual worms etc. But as you know we are travelling with kids and it may be dangerous and inconvenient to stop on the highway to patch my tyre if we were to be that unlucky.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=3371

post-165495-0-25369100-1492573872_thumb.jpg

Saw this article on sgcarmart. Will this be useful? TireCare Sealant.  Anyone used before?

I'm looking more to use it as a preventive measure. According to them upon application prior to the trip, any punctures will be sealed automatically. And no need to head to workshop to patch the tyres after that. Reliability and cost is a factor here. At $269 for the revival kit it does not come cheap. Though the kit includes a compressor which I would not mind having, and the current offer of free AA membership.

I appreciate all feedbacks especially those with kids, how do you all prepare for your road trips? As you already know the entire family's safety is on our shoulders and our spouse... sadly will not be able to help us.

If this is posted to the wrong folder or if it's considered as repeated, mods please help me to shift it. Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

it's always good to have a spare tyre in the car or tools like tyre  patch up are handy.

when all fails, I don't think need to worry much. NSHW is very efficient, at least this is what I feel.

I experience a puncture when a road trip to Malacca, within 10 mins, help came.

As I also don't have spare tyre, they can't help me to change. Arrange a tow to bring my car to nearby workshop for replacement.

For myself, as I hit distance drive frequent.

I will check and inflate the tyre well. Some torchlight or a pen knife by my side..

Don't worry too much, just be normal and friendly

Check your tyre before hitting the road.

Go at comfortable speed and have fun.

Wise choice to drive in penang, tons of good foods and POI.

:D

Edited by Kurty
  • Praise 2

it's always good to have a spare tyre in the car or tools like tyre  patch up are handy.

when all fails, I don't think need to worry much. NSHW is very efficient, at least this is what I feel.

I experience a puncture when a road trip to Malacca, within 10 mins, help came.

As I also don't have spare tyre, they can't help me to change. Arrange a tow to bring my car to nearby workshop for replacement.

For myself, as I hit distance drive frequent.

I will check and inflate the tyre well. Some torchlight or a pen knife by my side..

Don't worry too much, just be normal and friendly

Check your tyre before hitting the road.

Go at comfortable speed and have fun.

Wise choice to drive in penang, tons of good foods and POI.

:D

Thank you for the reply.

Given a spare tyre, to be honest I have not done a tyre change myself before. Haha. 

Help came in the sense you called for it? Something like what we have in EMAS? I did a quick google, found their emergency hotline 1-800-88-0000 and also this photo...

post-165495-0-21866900-1492581946_thumb.jpg

No sealant will be able to save/patch this tyre.  [dead]

https://isaacloo.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-malaysia-north-south-highway/

Supercharged

Thank you for the reply.

Given a spare tyre, to be honest I have not done a tyre change myself before. Haha. 

Help came in the sense you called for it? Something like what we have in EMAS? I did a quick google, found their emergency hotline 1-800-88-0000 and also this photo...

attachicon.gifimg-20140726-wa0007.jpg

No sealant will be able to save/patch this tyre.  [dead]

https://isaacloo.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-malaysia-north-south-highway/

same too, I also don't know how to change..

don't have spare tyre that can fit in my car.. hence I give up.. I don't even keep the tools..

stay light and free.

yeah, NSHW have such help service, similar to EMAS.

it's good to keep their number in reach.

Yeah, I suffer such blow where the puncture cut the whole outer wall of the tyre, don't know what actually causes that..

rather to invest in those tyre sealant, I would reckon you to invest in TPMS?

at least, still can transfer to your other car.

The lost of air pressure, will alert you, should you really experience a puncture.

its good to have intermittent stop every few hours, toilet or body stretching..

The furthest that I ever travel was the thai border..

go there, my father in law wanna buy toothpaste then U-turn..

haha.

But I doubt I could still travel that far at my age..

*before I forget, go download this 2 apps, Plus Highways or waze.

I will always run on waze, at least it gives me a head up on the traffic condition; accidents, break down on shoulders, police if you love to speed..

Edited by Kurty
  • Praise 1

Just to share, I ever discovered a screw lodged into my tyre about 200km away from Georgetown.... I simply drove on, and only went to a workshop the next day, and had it patched for 7 Ringgit. As long as a screw or nail is lodged in, air will escape slowly, so that's once instant you can try to make your own way to the workshop for help. But if it's like the picture above, well I guess we can only use the phone...

Have a nice and safe drive. I have done Ipoh & Penang a few times and it can be refreshing if you can avoid the blazing afternoon sun. So far my best drive was setting off at 4am and arriving at Georgetown at around 12pm (just nice for lunch)

my views as

1)I will prefer to have a full size spare wheels or (at least a Donut spare) that also provided you are prepare to change to spare wheel

2)Install a TPMS (tire pressure Monitor system which help by alerting you the particular tire that is loosing air , so you have time to start look for help or drive to nearest Safe location to stop.

TPMS is a prevention measure and very effective.

3)a portable pump does help you to inflate the flat tire and allow to continue your journey. 

4)liquid sealant does help to seal any small hole too and again is just a temporary measure (you still need to bring it to workshop for complete internally and patch internally for best and Safest result to continue use the punctured tire.

An external insert or plug is only a temporary repair solution to tire manufacturers point of view.

it is dangerous to drive with externally repaired and yet internally injured tire which could lead to sudden tire failure especially at high speed and heavy load. 

tire is only 4 points between you/ passengers and Road.

Everyone wants Best and Safe driving .

It already cost you so much on your car , please don't save Money or your tire and Proper way of tire repaired

(do note that if you want 100% Safe change to New tire ,don't repair)

↡ Advertisement