Solar Film - 3M, CoolnLite, Zen Tint, Vkool

villan

Twincharged

I have this crazy idea. What's stopping us from installing two layers of film to improve results? Say 1 layer 3M 1 layer Tintsycool.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

I have this crazy idea. What's stopping us from installing two layers of film to improve results? Say 1 layer 3M 1 layer Tintsycool.

2nd layer may not stick well with 1st layer cos film is designed to stick onto surface like glass
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

Haha, good point.

But maybe add a glue layer or a glass layer?

I know its crazy.

2nd layer may not stick well with 1st layer cos film is designed to stick onto surface like glass

Its possible. A number of people had done double layers, no issues. Just make sure the both solar films' visible light transmission (VLT) add up is maintained at least 70% or more.
  • Praise 1

Looking to cut heat from panoramic roof yet don't reduce the brightness into the car much. Any recommendations on the type of film and workshop? TIA

Very difficult to cut lots of heat with light tint film. I was at 3M, they have a type with high reflective film for roof glass. It can reduce more heat than the normal film, but its dark tint. For my small sunroof, the quote is $100. A bit ex, so I just keep my old non-reflective tint on the roof.

For those who park in open air car parks, do you guys experience bubbles in the solar flim after 5-6 years?

Used Rike Cool and vkoolbefore and currently on Zen...

Zen is good for the price but lose out to Rike Cool and vkool on effectiveness.... 

I can still feel sun on my hand and legs for Zen but not for the other 2

no complains on the installation though

• Praise 1

(edited)

Absolute platinum or titanium, how?

After searching for the replacement tint for my car's replacement front screen, I found that most of the tinting industry are selling us a "black box" product without giving us the full details and specification of their product. The 99-97% IRR that they are advertising are only focused on 900-1000nm wavelength, which covers only 4% of the whole solar field!! Look at the diagram below, the whole solar energy covers from 250-2500nm wavelength. I also search on the bio tint technology and released that the darkening effect is very slow (takes about 30mins) and very minimum such that the user won't notice the difference in real world use (go youtube and find "Chameleon Photochromic", compare the shade of sunny vs indoor, don't compare with the half screen that is not tinited).

Bottom line is they won't tell you the overall performance of their solar film against the whole spectrum of solar energy, which some reputable brand will indicate as the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER). Even the IR meter that they use are only measuring the 4% range, its a sales gimmick!! Furthermore, almost all of the local brand solar film uses nano ceramic to absorb the solar energy, that will eventually heat up the glass and air around it inside the car after some time. Its like a green house film rather then a solar film, it only temporary block the heat... Scam....

In the end, I settled for a more reputable brand like 3M Crystalline series (not the normal 3M film series that were given free by Toyota that people is complaining) that is designed to reflect the heat out of the car instead of absorbing it inside the car. 3M also provides you the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) that is very transparent to the buyer, and I think some series of V-Kool also provides the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER). 

At least I have a peace of mind knowing that the product they sell are tested and certified. Too bad my remaining solar film in the car are the nano ceramic from Tintsy Cool that absorb IR heat.. but no choice, already wasted hundreds of dollars in them, but at least I made the correct choice for my replacement front screen. For those new owners, do consider spending a little more for a reputable product that 1) REFLECT heat, not absorb, and 2) provides the TSER figures, when shopping for solar film. Don't live in regret like me.. ha ha

spectrum.jpg

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

After searching for the replacement tint for my car's replacement front screen, I found that most of the tinting industry are selling us a "black box" product without giving us the full details and specification of their product. The 99-97% IRR that they are advertising are only focused on 900-1000nm wavelength, which covers only 4% of the whole solar field!! Look at the diagram below, the whole solar energy covers from 250-2500nm wavelength. I also search on the bio tint technology and released that the darkening effect is very slow (takes about 30mins) and very minimum such that the user won't notice the difference in real world use (go youtube and find "Chameleon Photochromic", compare the shade of sunny vs indoor, don't compare with the half screen that is not tinited).

Bottom line is they won't tell you the overall performance of their solar film against the whole spectrum of solar energy, which some reputable brand will indicate as the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER). Even the IR meter that they use are only measuring the 4% range, its a sales gimmick!! Furthermore, almost all of the local brand solar film uses nano ceramic to absorb the solar energy, that will eventually heat up the glass and air around it inside the car after some time. Its like a green house film rather then a solar film, it only temporary block the heat... Scam....

In the end, I settled for a more reputable brand like 3M Crystalline series (not the normal 3M film series that were given free by Toyota that people is complaining) that is designed to reflect the heat out of the car instead of absorbing it inside the car. 3M also provides you the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) that is very transparent to the buyer, and I think some series of V-Kool also provides the Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER).

At least I have a peace of mind knowing that the product they sell are tested and certified. Too bad my remaining solar film in the car are the nano ceramic from Tintsy Cool that absorb IR heat.. but no choice, already wasted hundreds of dollars in them, but at least I made the correct choice for my replacement front screen. For those new owners, do consider spending a little more for a reputable product that 1) REFLECT heat, not absorb, and 2) provides the TSER figures, when shopping for solar film. Don't live in regret like me.. ha ha

spectrum.jpg

Yes in the end I kiasu and kiasee so chose 3M crystalline. I believe they have the best engineers to nail this in comparison to competitors. Warranty wise 10 years later they will still be here.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

gggg

sdasdasdasdasd

dasdsada

adsadqwdqweqweqweqweadasdasdasa

Are you able to say something.......

Neutral Newbie

Interim update only, as the past week has been more wet than hot, so i can't really tell whether the film is really fantastic as claimed by the specs.

I didn't feel any heat except on 2 days, after work, as it had rained on a few days. On the 2 days, heat was not those unbearable type as could be felt in the past, when I was driving my old car without any film.

There were some dust at one corner of the sunroof after the installation, which I think was due to careless handling when they peeled off the 'sticker' just before installation. I went back on Thur to show them, and they replaced it after a short discussion.

Will update again once I have a chance experiencing it in the hot sun, maybe tomorrow.

Hi Atrecord,

Any update ? Thanks

2nd layer may not stick well with 1st layer cos film is designed to stick onto surface like glass ð

Any darker u need to go to Jln Sultan orh por lei salon for advice
  • Praise 1

Hi Atrecord,

Any update ? Thanks

Ha ha... i was quite happy with tintsycool after installation, but there were some comments that its specs are not as good as claimed, and that it absorbs instead of reflects the IR, therefore traps more heat - so I didn't want to say that it's v good.

In any case, the weather has been erratic in the last month or so. For this time of the year, there's been quite a fair bit of rain or overcast skies, so there have been only a handful of days when the car has been in the hot sun. Of these days, I had consciously tried to feel how it felt. I had not expected that there'll be no heat in the car - I'm a reasonable person.

The cabin would still feel warm/hot when first opening the door. This is to be expected, as heat trapped in the car will not escape. But as the car drives off, and after letting the hot air escape through the windows (and sunroof) for a minute, the heat becomes a thing of the past.

The focus i had before changing to the current car, did not have any solar film. The 'heatwave' the car on hot days, is impactful and lasts a long time. So the marked improvement was very obvious.

The verna i scrapped before the focus, had i think an entry-grade solar film. It only helped a little bit, as I suspect that was not meant to block much heat. Again, that was a pale comparison.

(edited)

Ha ha... i was quite happy with tintsycool after installation, but there were some comments that its specs are not as good as claimed, and that it absorbs instead of reflects the IR, therefore traps more heat - so I didn't want to say that it's v good.

In any case, the weather has been erratic in the last month or so. For this time of the year, there's been quite a fair bit of rain or overcast skies, so there have been only a handful of days when the car has been in the hot sun. Of these days, I had consciously tried to feel how it felt. I had not expected that there'll be no heat in the car - I'm a reasonable person.

The cabin would still feel warm/hot when first opening the door. This is to be expected, as heat trapped in the car will not escape. But as the car drives off, and after letting the hot air escape through the windows (and sunroof) for a minute, the heat becomes a thing of the past.

The focus i had before changing to the current car, did not have any solar film. The 'heatwave' the car on hot days, is impactful and lasts a long time. So the marked improvement was very obvious.

The verna i scrapped before the focus, had i think an entry-grade solar film. It only helped a little bit, as I suspect that was not meant to block much heat. Again, that was a pale comparison.

Bro, my car now is 25% 3M Crystalline and 75% Tintsycool. In hot afternoon, can feel (1) the sun light coming thru 3M is cooler to feel then the light coming thru the 40% tint Tintsy cool on my sun roof; and (2) the front windscreen glass surface with 3M is not as hot to touch as compared to the sun roof glass with Tintsy tint. Just my observation. 

Edited by Brainstorm
↡ Advertisement