2017 Skoda Karoq

Carbon82

21 minutes ago, Ano727 said:

VW/Skoda Emergency Assistance came, can’t solve the issue. In the end, sent towing services and brought car to Alexandra Service Center. I asked the technician, said they used special tool to pull the lever. 

Replaced battery under warranty. Just a bit of hassle to claim a day later due to CB. 

The location of the lever is fundamentally wrong. 

Design flaw they should make it easy to open when door closed

↡ Advertisement

20 hours ago, Ano727 said:

VW/Skoda Emergency Assistance came, can’t solve the issue. In the end, sent towing services and brought car to Alexandra Service Center. I asked the technician, said they used special tool to pull the lever. 

Replaced battery under warranty. Just a bit of hassle to claim a day later due to CB. 

I might be wrong but just my thought.

The cars were designed for LHD and accordingly, the bonnet lever is placed on the left side (driver's side).

For RHD version, VW did not localise the bonnet lever and it still remain on left side (passenger's side) instead of right side (driver's side). This led to the unfortunate incident you encountered. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
20 hours ago, Ano727 said:

Sounds stupid to the max. Can show a photo of the lever position. Isn't the hood level just at the right side of the driver just beside the right knee? 

Oh OK. Likely due to lhd to rhd conversion being done in a half f method 

Edited by Lala81

I believe it's designed this way so when door is closed, there should be no access to the bonnet.

And what ever happened to good old fashion mechanical door?  I still cannot understand how a simple door cannot be opened?

Maybe pull the door handle twice while inside? First pull for the lock and second to open the door?

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

I believe it's designed this way so when door is closed, there should be no access to the bonnet.

And what ever happened to good old fashion mechanical door?  I still cannot understand how a simple door cannot be opened?

Maybe pull the door handle twice while inside? First pull for the lock and second to open the door?

Sounds dangerous. If mechanical fault lol. But it happens. Like 13 years ago, My ex colleague got locked in his BMW e90 when the central locking failed. He had to climb out the car window. Lucky he's like on the small size for a guy. 

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Sounds stupid to the max. Can show a photo of the lever position. Isn't the hood level just at the right side of the driver just beside the right knee? 

Oh OK. Likely due to lhd to rhd conversion being done in a half f method 

I tried my superb with door close and managed to open my bonnet though

this one karoq bonnet lever

8985DBFC-0307-48DB-BC26-15260BDED59C.png

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, Ano727 said:

With the passenger door closed, I tried bending the lever over the door trim and pull. Managed to pop the bonnet in one attempt, no struggle at all.

I believe they used the same tool as me...my hand.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

22 hours ago, Ano727 said:

lucky in Singapore.

what if in Malaysia, really jialat if the the case.

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
On 5/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, Ano727 said:

I have a challenge for Karoq owners, which I just found out the hard way.

Basically, battery went dead, which means you cannot open the doors, the hatch at the back, nor the hood. Good thing there is a "manual" way to use physical key to unlock the driver door. Only to find out that the hood release lever is blocked by the passenger door - and there is no way to open the passenger door from inside - in order to release the hood catch - and change or charge your battery.

So if your battery goes low or dead and can't open the passenger door - HOW DO YOU OPEN THE BOOTH?

Most of Vw owners enabled this.. check with your Skoda SA if this is enabled for your screen. Should help you avoid another downtime 

• Praise 2

The bonnet handle located on the bottom left can be utilised even when the door at the passenger side is closed or locked. There is a particular way to do it.

If you are a Skoda owner: Dun scare, dun kan cheong, dun panic whether u are in SG, JB or Batam lah. You can find out more in the owners' manual, internet etc. If you want to have a hands off experience, then VAG cars are not suitable for you. So while u are a VAG car owner, good to go find out and understand more, you will face thermostat housing/pump leakage issue, DQ200 issues, etc soon rather than later

If you are a non Skoda owner: Dun worry, not your problem anyway. HAHAHAHA

• Haha! 3

Twincharged
(edited)
12 hours ago, Contipro said:

lucky in Singapore.

what if in Malaysia, really jialat if the the case.

and on that note, normally, most cars jam at the causeway will trigger the bonnet to open slightly just to allow more air in/out but the newer design of VW lately the lever is block by the door.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Hypersonic
13 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I tried my superb with door close and managed to open my bonnet though

this one karoq bonnet lever

8985DBFC-0307-48DB-BC26-15260BDED59C.png

that's a damn big lever for something so simple. The levers in other cars are so small [laugh]

My car's hood release lever is honestly 40% the size of that.

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Most of Vw owners enabled this.. check with your Skoda SA if this is enabled for your screen. Should help you avoid another downtime 

I tried but cannot get it enabled.

Supercharged
36 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

that's a damn big lever for something so simple. The levers in other cars are so small [laugh]

Ang Moh dua kee mah. I also don't understand why change from LHD to RHD then why the lever was not shifted as well. And the manual way to open the door when your car battery is down is only at the driver's side. Lousy design if you ask me. Btw, I own the Karoq. 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
21 minutes ago, badlammy said:

I tried but cannot get it enabled.

if u have ODBeleven or VAGcom cable, should be able to enable it ..

(hold On ) can message me your ride ? easier to chat ...

Edited by Sdf4786k

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Honestly speaking, this is a F@#king lousy and ugly design. Both my jap cars are located below the drive seat and no bigger than my thumb.

No offense to Skoda owners. I love the design. :a-m1212:

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Honestly speaking, this is a F@#king lousy and ugly design. Both my jap cars are located below the drive seat and no bigger than my thumb.

No offense to Skoda owners. I love the design. :a-m1212:

looks like in a pick up truck [laugh] 

Hypersonic
42 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Ang Moh dua kee mah. I also don't understand why change from LHD to RHD then why the lever was not shifted as well. And the manual way to open the door when your car battery is down is only at the driver's side. Lousy design if you ask me. Btw, I own the Karoq. 

Ang moh dua qiu. Must have big lever [laugh]

↡ Advertisement