2017 Skoda Karoq

Carbon82

That is also what i hope for and trying to convince myself from my heart that it is a 5 seater Kodiaq. But my head rule over

May i know what wrong with the gear box? I also feel something not in place with the gearbox as compare with kodiaq amd superb when i test drive , but couldnt explain why

Dry vs Wet gearbox. I don't know much but the dry gearbox is the infamous one, just do a Google search and u will know. Don't know why SEAT Ateca which is the equivalent of Karoq is using the wet but Karoq using the dry. But SEAT distributor is another problem by itself.

Now I don't know what car I want, shall stick to Jap bah..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

I did a comparison at SGcarmart between Ateca 1.4 2WD TSI DSG Style and Karoq 1.5 TSI Ambition.

Following are some of the differences:

Ateca                          Karoq

List Price              $109,400                   $111,900

Road Tax/yr         $624                          $684   

Transmission       6-speed DSG            7-speed DSG

Fuel consum        16.1km/L                  17.2km/L

Fuel tank              55L                           50L

Boot Size             485L                         521L 

0-100km/h           8.9s                           9.0s

Top speed           189km/h                    203km/h

dimension            4363 x 1841 x 1601  4382 x 1841 x 1603                                       

wheelbase           2,630                         2,638       

min turn radius    5,400                         5,100

rain sense wiper  Yes                           unknown

Paddle shifters     Yes                          No

Elec tailgate         Yes                          No

Rims                    17"                           16"

Leather seats       Yes                          No

Leather steering  Yes                          unknown

The rest are more or less identical.                                      

• Praise 1

Bro, cannot be compared with cx3 la. U really sat in both before bo. I'm big size too and average man height. And I have so much leg room and head room.

My only issue with the karoq is the stupid gearbox.

What is the issue with the gearbox?  Appreciate if you could share

• Praise 1

If you look at cabin space, Karoq don't seem to lose out to CX-5.

external dimension is another thing altogether...

Yah, u are right as Mazda is well known for small cabin space. But as i mentioned earlier, i classify and choose SUV due to their height . If not, i would have taken Superb then

Dry vs Wet gearbox. I don't know much but the dry gearbox is the infamous one, just do a Google search and u will know. Don't know why SEAT Ateca which is the equivalent of Karoq is using the wet but Karoq using the dry. But SEAT distributor is another problem by itself.

Now I don't know what car I want, shall stick to Jap bah..

Oh yah, how can i miss out such an important factor? I didnt even check whether it is a wet or dry clutch when i was there Edited by Lotr8445r

I did a comparison at SGcarmart between Ateca 1.4 2WD TSI DSG Style and Karoq 1.5 TSI Ambition.

Following are some of the differences:

Ateca Karoq

List Price $109,400 $111,900

Road Tax/yr $624 $684

Transmission 6-speed DSG 7-speed DSG

Fuel consum 16.1km/L 17.2km/L

Fuel tank 55L 50L

Boot Size 485L 521L

0-100km/h 8.9s 9.0s

Top speed 189km/h 203km/h

dimension 4363 x 1841 x 1601 4382 x 1841 x 1603

wheelbase 2,630 2,638

min turn radius 5,400 5,100

rain sense wiper Yes unknown

Paddle shifters Yes No

Elec tailgate Yes No

Rims 17" 16"

Leather seats Yes No

Leather steering Yes unknown

The rest are more or less identical.

I may be wrong but based on information available online, 2wd for ateca is 7 speed dry. Only 4 wheel drive is the wet 6 speed.

Can’t verify sgcarmart cos no brochure. Their SE say 2wd is dry.

• Praise 1

I wouldn't want to leave ANY engine oil in the crank case for a full year just becos the manufacturer claim it could.

Engine oil do break down over usage and time. And in sg stop/go driving and intense heat, the degradation is even more pronounced. Only the top tier engine oil brands/models can handle such severe duty usage. The trouble is, how many ADs in SG, if any, bothers to equip themselves with tier 1 grade engine oil?

The retail brands/models u find at respective gas stations mart are NOT tier 1 grade.

I would take such claims with a pinch of salt.... just like some AD who claimed that there is no need to replace ATF for their gb are 'sealed for life'.

Their servicing is 1yr/15000km. I know u all will have doubts about whether that is enough, engine oil degrade over time etc., but for all the drivers on the road doing this form of servicing (e.g. merc, audi, vw, skoda etc.), do u see so many cars having problem? If not, why is that so? Because the brands would of course have done their research before recommending such service intervals. Some more they give 5 year warranty as well.

It may not be optimal like say u change every half a year u get 100% condition, but maybe it only drops to 90%, but the car still works well? Trust the experts and technology, and not the older school thinking.

I may be wrong but based on information available online, 2wd for ateca is 7 speed dry. Only 4 wheel drive is the wet 6 speed.

Can’t verify sgcarmart cos no brochure. Their SE say 2wd is dry.

Confirm you are right. Their SE has confirmed the 4WD version is the 6 speed wet clutch. Their 2WD version is using the 7 speed dry clutch and yes, it is a DQ200.

Cheers.

Canât verify sgcarmart cos no brochure. Their SE say 2wd is dry.

Think 6 speed is always wet. 7 speed dry is newer one than 6 speed but turn out to be a failure instead. Old school with wet is safer. So for conservative, should get the 6 speed. Howver, maybe they have a wet 7 speed now, but i have lost touch

Think 6 speed is always wet. 7 speed dry is newer one than 6 speed but turn out to be a failure instead. Old school with wet is safer. So for conservative, should get the 6 speed. Howver, maybe they have a wet 7 speed now, but i have lost touch

There are 5 types of wet 7 speed. Only 1 dry. So yeah

Is the latest or current batch of new cars with DQ200 dry clutch gearbox still showing signs of the old issues?

Or have they (VW, SKODA) already done something to improve reliability?

• Praise 2

Any Karoq owner here who can share his/her experience? Would appreciate.

In SGCarMart, only one review and by one who doesn't own one.

Thanks.

• Praise 2

Any Karoq owner here who can share his/her experience? Would appreciate.

In SGCarMart, only one review and by one who doesn't own one.

Thanks.

This model is still new.

Give it a few months

Hi there, I can reply cos I just collected my Karoq in Dec 2018 and it's only 1 month plus since I took delivery the car. I am not a high mileage driver and so far only clocked 2000 plus kms only. 

I would say so far the Karoq is doing what a lot of reviewers have said in their reviews. However, as mentioned, this is a very new car and I am just enjoying the car and will see how it perform 6-9 months down the road. Besides the 1.5 Turbo engine ( which is quite frugal in fuel consumption ) , I like to the Command touch screen control.. the voice activation controls, the wireless charging and a good car for everyday commute. Not too big a car so parking ( both parallel and reverse ) is easier than my previous ride ( Peugeot 508SW).  Of course , the  HD reverse camera and the green line/ red line guidance helped a lot.

BTW, I bought the Style trim of the Karoq.

Regards, Angelo

• Praise 8

Hi there, I can reply cos I just collected my Karoq in Dec 2018 and it's only 1 month plus since I took delivery the car. I am not a high mileage driver and so far only clocked 2000 plus kms only. 

I would say so far the Karoq is doing what a lot of reviewers have said in their reviews. However, as mentioned, this is a very new car and I am just enjoying the car and will see how it perform 6-9 months down the road. Besides the 1.5 Turbo engine ( which is quite frugal in fuel consumption ) , I like to the Command touch screen control.. the voice activation controls, the wireless charging and a good car for everyday commute. Not too big a car so parking ( both parallel and reverse ) is easier than my previous ride ( Peugeot 508SW).  Of course , the  HD reverse camera and the green line/ red line guidance helped a lot.

BTW, I bought the Style trim of the Karoq.

Regards, Angelo

Great! Thanks for sharing Angelo. Pls PM me your sales contact and what deal you got.

Overall, how would you compare this Karoq to your Peugeot 508SW so far?

Hi Ano727,

I cannot really compare the Karoq with the Peugeot 508SW because they are 2 very different cars, one is  a compact SUV and one is a station wagon. So, i do not think it is appropriate to do this comparison.

One thing that I have learnt from these years of car ownership.. take care of your car well, send them for the scheduled servicing and maintenance needed and the car should serve you well.

I will PM you the sales person from Skoda.

Regards,

Angelo

• Praise 1

Hi Ano727,

I cannot really compare the Karoq with the Peugeot 508SW because they are 2 very different cars, one is  a compact SUV and one is a station wagon. So, i do not think it is appropriate to do this comparison.

One thing that I have learnt from these years of car ownership.. take care of your car well, send them for the scheduled servicing and maintenance needed and the car should serve you well.

I will PM you the sales person from Skoda.

Regards,

Angelo

Great! Thanks Angelo!

↡ Advertisement