Singapore RECKLESS drivers thread Part IV

RadX

Ha, when I sort of mentioned "I feel like buying a bike to ride around", the missus wasn't pleased. I think she would be very upset if I go ahead.

She is right to be upset. Looking at the way people drive nowadays, it is really not safe.

same here.....even my son was against the idea. But my wife recently relented....she gave me the nod on either a Z800 ora Brutale 800 if i decide not to renew my coe...

It looks like the front car stepped brake upon seeing the subaru on the road shoulder, the accident car lost control because he stepped brake while trying to filter left to avoid the front car . The road surface seems damp, Such road surface is one of the most slippery condition.

With auto tranny thats what the drivers will do nowadays.....they only know either accelerator or brake.

Turbocharged
Most likely oil spill on the road and braking while turning triggered the lost in traction. The Subaru never even brake just skidded like that. Look like the same scene I saw in sepang track day when someone spill engine oil all over the track, one by one the cars all beached.

RIP. Could have happened to anyone. Motorcyclist better hug family tight tonight.

• Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)

Someone highlighted that the blue subaru at the road shoulder had crashed in a similar fashion earlier. Video in the link.

http://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/subaru-suddenly-swerves-across-3-lanes-and-hits-lorry-on-tpe-after-driver-loses

The Motorcyclist damm Lucky,i think some debris from the MPV did hit Him,luckily he calm,never lose control. [thumbsup]

Edited by ER-3682

Most likely oil spill on the road and braking while turning triggered the lost in traction. The Subaru never even brake just skidded like that. Look like the same scene I saw in sepang track day when someone spill engine oil all over the track, one by one the cars all beached.

RIP. Could have happened to anyone. Motorcyclist better hug family tight tonight.

Is this the one at SLE?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/38-year-old-woman-killed-in-mpv-accident-on-sle-husband-and-3-sons-injured

car1.jpg?itok=fwQFttMd

SINGAPORE - A car carrying a family of five met with an accident on the Seletar Expressway on Sunday (June 18), resulting in the death of a 38-year-old woman.

The vehicle, a grey Toyota multi-purpose vehicle (MPV), lost control and skidded at around 1.50pm near the Tampines Expressway exit, Lianhe Zaobao reported.

The 37-year-old driver's eldest son, aged nine, was in the front passenger seat while his wife and two younger sons, aged three and six, were seated in the back.

According to Zaobao, the MPV was rounding a bend when the driver suddenly lost control of the vehicle, which skidded and hit the metal barrier by the side of the expressway.

The force of the impact shattered the MPV's right rear window and sent his wife and youngest son flying out of the vehicle.

A police spokesman told The Straits Times that the woman was found motionless and pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

The youngest son is understood to have suffered head and back injuries and was rushed to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, where he is currently in stable condition.

The man suffered back pain and was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

His eldest son, who had a minor head injury, and the second son - who was seated on the left rear seat and suffered abrasions - were both taken to KK Women's and Children's Hospital.

The accident reportedly caused a two-hour jam on the SLE, after police arrived at the scene and cordoned off three lanes.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Two cars crashed at the same site? And it's raining.

Don't think it's oil spill. Could be the big rims and low profile tires. Other cars of the same speed don't seem to be in trouble.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Two cars crashed at the same site? And it's raining.

Don't think it's oil spill. Could be the big rims and low profile tires. Other cars of the same speed don't seem to be in trouble.

I think so too.

The usual suspect and combination:

1. Wet road,

2. High speed

3. Big fat paint lines at corner

4. Fat tyres, which is more prone to aquaplaning

Motorcyclists know about the slipperiness of the lane markers and avoid them, but drivers usually are not aware.

So now better slow down.

I'v observed many corners on expressways have large fat lane markers, designed to bring you down.

5. At that speed, it is tailgating, do not understand why people should go so close and smell the ass?!

I think so too.

1. Wet road,

2. High speed

Motorcyclists know about the slipperiness of the lane markers and avoid them, but drivers usually are not aware.

So now better slow down.

I'v observed many corners on expressways have large fat lane markers, designed to bring you down.

• Praise 1

I think so too.

1. Wet road,

2. High speed

So now better slow down.

I recall this type of older model of Wish(vertical tail lights) comes with small-ish stock rims and fat tires. Fat as in high profile tires. Many ppl just switch to 17" or 18" rims with low profile tires to have a better "look". Actually a lot of other cars also do the same, not just Wish.

No wonder car insurance companies deny claims to such modifications.

In dry conditions of course there won't be a problem. Actually ppl do not know that by removing more rubber+air and replacing the wheel with more metal adds unnecessary weight to the suspension and brakes. They will say better stability and handling. Ok lah, maybe in dry conditions but in wet conditions it becomes highly unpredictable.

And for those mothers who like to cradle their toddlers in the rear of the car this is what will happen when an accident occurs. So put your child in a child seat and have them properly strapped to the seat.

• Praise 7

5. At that speed, it is tailgating, do not understand why people should go so close and smell the ass?!

maybe they like the smell of an s....

I am not a fan of the wider white markings at expressway bends, they are thick and wide and are actually wider than the contact patch of most of our tyres.

Going through a bend, grip is essential, and I believe grip is compromised if say 2 of the tyres are on the white markings at the same time. Wet conditions even worse. I don't think the white paint offers as much traction as tarmac.

My personal experience at Keppel viaduct exit towards Pasir Panjang, the white marking was also quite thick in addition to being wide, so can be a bit tricky.

Anyway, driver is suppose to pay attention while driving and be able to see upcoming bends mah. Why need all this ?

I think LTA should do away with this.

• Praise 3

Been running on 265 or 275 width tyres for quite sometime , don't think is the wide tyres that cause the skid leh

My harrier also running 255 width tyres. Hardly feels the skid...I agree wider tyre safer!

(edited)

Been running on 265 or 275 width tyres for quite sometime , don't think is the wide tyres that cause the skid leh

Agree. Wider tyres = more contact with the road = better traction and grip = less skidding.

Look at width of the F1 car tyres.

Edited by Silklee

I think so too.

1. Wet road,

2. High speed

So now better slow down.

With abs, ebd, ba, trs, Toyota wish also can lost control. Speed kills, bro...keep a safe distance and Learn defensive driving.
  • Praise 1

When I read this article last night, straight away screenshot and sent it to my brothers.. Tell them dun tailgate.. Must put seat belt.. Today saw this video clip.. I feel sad for the family but not for the husband.. Call me heartless or cold.. He took his whole family lives for granted.. No seat belts on, speeding, tail gating.. I'm angry.. I'm angry why the good ones always leave earlier than those who commit the deadlier sin..  

RIP to the mother..  :a-rip:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4