What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Me I tend to hold it down at the half-notch to activate till not further needed but tend to not actually fully engage it anymore...

I've heard of this before... I wonder how it compares to modern hydraulic or air suspensions?

From the video, it definitely surpasses all air suspensions.  At least RR or Bentley should be fitted with this tech.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

I think at an extra US$5k it was deem too expensive

but with the drop in price in electronics these days

I hope this can be revived.

:D

US$5k=S$8k,$8k + taxes,=$24,000...not worth it.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Bose did this in the 80s when components were expensive.

Now the price of electronics has come down a lot.

It basically a sensor in front of the wheel.

When it sees a bump it will retract the suspension to keep

the car level and do the opposite when there is a hole in the road.

I am sure someone will revive this with new cheaper electronics.

(edited)

Now BMW has a system that uses sat-nav to 'read' the roads and then prime the suspension accordingly if there are bumps or bends ahead. I believe some Rolls-Royce and Mini models have it. 7 Series also have I think.

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Now BMW has a system that uses sat-nav to 'read' the roads and then prime the suspension accordingly if there are bumps or bends ahead. I believe some Rolls-Royce and Mini models have it. 7 Series also have I think.

This System only "read" Corners,upslope or downslope to adjust the Gearbox,so that the gearbox will select the best ratio,i afraid not for the suspension.

• Praise 1

(edited)

This System only "read" Corners,upslope or downslope to adjust the Gearbox,so that the gearbox will select the best ratio,i afraid not for the suspension.

it does when you have adaptive suspension 

022.jpg

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

(edited)

it does when you have adaptive suspension 

022.jpg

Adaptive suspension is totally different from the Bose system. The former are setting for user to select the preferred suspension setup (so, hard, etc.), while the later is a active suspension system that provide the user with un-parallel cruising experience (imagine you wouldn't even roll round when the car take corner).

Not sure about BMW, but Tesla do have something similar to what you have mentioned.

The Tesla Model S Raises The Suspension Based On Location

Tesla is out with one of its more elaborate software updates to the Model S, and among the list of features is a new location-based air suspension setting that remembers when you need additional ground clearance and lifts the car automatically.

The headline feature is the aforementioned location-based ride height function for cars with the air suspension. When the driver raises the Model S, the car stores the location and then automatically brings it up to that level the next time they reach that location, good for people with steep driveways or who travel on gravel roads.

It doesn't look so simple as what you have described. If the suspension just retract and rebound, the occupants in the car will still feel a certain level of bumpiness. It look more like a ongoing adjustment (progressively) till the car stabilized, akin to fuzzy logic in electronic system.

From the video, it definitely surpasses all air suspensions.  At least RR or Bentley should be fitted with this tech.

I suspect weight is the major killer for this tech, beside cost. Just check out the web for some insight to this Bose system and you will notice how complex is the suspension structure. A "standard" RR could have weight >2.5 ton and if added with these, maybe >3 ton? The feel will be like driving a 3 tonner man...

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 9

Twincharged

I don't think the GPS system can pick up our Road Surfaces,always Dig here & Patch there,here & there....almost every road is like this.

(edited)

Adaptive suspension is totally different from the Bose system. The former are setting for user to select the preferred suspension setup (so, hard, etc.), while the later is a active suspension system that provide the user with un-parallel cruising experience (imagine you wouldn't even roll round when the car take corner).

That one is the previous use of the term "adaptive suspension". New one is adaptive suspension with "adaptive drive" (the button you see in the pic) which is a computer controlled system that sets up the suspension and throttle response after taking into account driving style/speed/cornering forces and GPS info.

(If you $pec up, an extra camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror will also be used to detect road conditions ahead.)

But yea, it's not the BOSE systems. The BOSE system is just wayyy too heavy and expensive for series production. 

Edited by Mockngbrd

It doesn't look so simple as what you have described. If the suspension just retract and rebound, the occupants in the car will still feel a certain level of bumpiness. It look more like a ongoing adjustment (progressively) till the car stabilized, akin to fuzzy logic in electronic system.

Automotive engineers should go back to nature and study chicken head. Look how the chicken head performs to relative movements of its body. [laugh]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc

• Praise 3

Automotive engineers should go back to nature and study chicken head. Look how the chicken head performs to relative movements of its body. [laugh]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc

Not only chicken, but cats too. Cats are able to withstand falling from height and that will interesting if can be applied on suspension system.

At least this dealer is lao seat.. boh qiao mileage..ð

The car is still very new and under warranty, if mileage is tampered with, very easy to be exposed when new owner send it for service with the AD.

That one is the previous use of the term "adaptive suspension". New one is adaptive suspension with "adaptive drive" (the button you see in the pic) which is a computer controlled system that sets up the suspension and throttle response after taking into account driving style/speed/cornering forces and GPS info.

(If you $pec up, an extra camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror will also be used to detect road conditions ahead.)

But yea, it's not the BOSE systems. The BOSE system is just wayyy too heavy and expensive for series production.

Thanks for the clarification bro. So this system predict the road conditions to adjust the suspension settings, instead of actual suspension reaction.

I don't think the GPS system can pick up our Road Surfaces,always Dig here & Patch there,here & there....almost every road is like this.

Of course cannot as new pot holes are created as and when. Even Google earth image also cannot help...
  • Praise 8

Grab or Uber?

202Km a day.

Every Single day

That's why Uber or Grab cars should pay 6 or 7 times more road tax compared to normal car owners like us.

LTA really sleeping on its head - so much for "car-lite" and encouraging Uber, Grab, Car Sharing etc.  One can only conclude they are only interested to drive up COE premium, drive up petro consumption (thus more duties collected), ERP rates, and providing employment of last resort for the retrenched ones.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3