What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Hypersonic
(edited)

There is something that caught my attention when I first came across the W124 E-Class & W201 190E. Wanna to guess what is that special feature?

mono wiper system, which was also available on the W210 E-Class, W202 C-Class, R129 SL and C208 CLK. Before I goes into the details of the mono-wiper system, here are some of the more common wiper system.

Tandem System

This wiper system was omitted from newer model, probably due to cost and difficulty in maintenance.

...... Wah........ I give Phd (doctrate) [scholar]  in Wiper's .........  I didn't know the wipers can "goyang" liddat  1  

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

If I ask you to name the 7 seater model from Audi, Mercedes & Volvo, I think most if not all with come out with Q7, R-Class, V-Class & XC90. But actually before these models become available, the 3 auto manufacturers already have other 7 seater in their lineup. OK to be fair, it is more appropriate to label them as 5 + 2 seater. So have you got it by now?

Audi A6 Avant

postadsuk.com-7-audi-a6-all-road-rare-7-$_86.JPG

Mercedes Benz E-Class Estate (W124, W210, W211, W212)

85421d1148003047-w124-wagon-sale-108-088200652.006.jpg894860d1330434014-why-havent-estates-sta44309d1105905101-e320-350-e500-wagon-purF2014-Mercedes-Benz-E350-4Matic-Wagon-Fr

Volvo V70 / XC70

volvo004.jpg$_86.JPG

OK, you should know by now why is it called 5 + 2 seater, right?

• Praise 15

Twincharged

There is something that caught my attention when I first came across the W124 E-Class & W201 190E. Wanna to guess what is that special feature?

w124%20autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_e500_limiMERCEDES-BENZ-190--W201--936_41.jpg

OK, I am referring to the mono wiper system, which was also available on the W210 E-Class, W202 C-Class, R129 SL and C208 CLK. Before I goes into the details of the mono-wiper system, here are some of the more common wiper system.

Tandem System

400px-Scheibenwischer1.svg.png

Opposed System

400px-Scheibenwischer9.svg.png

Simple Mono Blade System

400px-Scheibenwischer3.svg.png

And in the Mercedes model I have listed above, they came with a unique Complex Mono Blade System.

400px-Scheibenwischer4.svg.png

Unlike the simple mono-blade system, it offers a larger area of wipe, and for the W124, it can cover up to 86% of the windscreen, which is pretty impressive.

Mercedes_Monoblade_190E_2.jpg

Mercedes_Monoblade_3.jpg

I will leave the video to provide the explanation on how the system work. I simply love the "dancing" movement when it is in work! This wiper system was omitted from newer model, probably due to cost and difficulty in maintenance.

The video mentioned it isn't used anymore cuz the wiper cleans too slowly. Half the speed of those wiper systems with 2 wipers.

• Praise 2

The new Bentley Bentayga just has so much for me to talk about. Beside being the first SUV from this luxurious auto manufacturer, it is also the first Bentley to come with a Diesel engine. If these sounds nothing special to you, the following shall be something new to you.

It is also can seat up to 7 pax!! Now, there is no really best of both world if you ask me. Bentley, to me is a luxurious car, allowing one to travel with 1st Class comfort and feel. Squeezing 7 seats into the cabin somewhat defy the logic.

ST_20170603_CTBENT0309S9_3180917.jpg

A headlight washer system that is concealed within the DRL fixture. Now this is something I would not thought off...

the-bentley-bentayga-has-the-most-amazin

And the world most expensive clock on the dash, which cost almost as much as the car itself, @ £110,000 (~S$200K - before tax!!).

Bentley-Bentayga-2016-1600-44.jpg

For more info about the Mulliner Tourbillon clock, check out the link below:

http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/world-of-bentley/mulliner/personal-commissioning/mulliner-tourbillon-by-breitling.html

• Praise 10

(edited)

w124%20autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_e500_limi

I will leave the video to provide the explanation on how the system work. I simply love the "dancing" movement when it is in work! This wiper system was omitted from newer model, probably due to cost and difficulty in maintenance.

Don't think it was maintenance. My 20 year old W124 was still wiping flawlessly when I parted with it. I wouldn't call it slow also lah. Drove in NSE thunderstorm few times, its speed was sufficient.

That pic.... haiz. AMG Hammer. Incredible for its time.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 2

My father loved his W124 very much when he was driving one during the 90s, he nicknamed it "German tank"

Its the real bornite colored E200 with plastic wheel cap, not converted from 200E.

• Praise 1

Ferrari-125-S-5218.jpg

Without consulting Mr. Google, how many of you know the make and model of this cute car? And what is so special about it?

Well, beside being the 1st production car from this auto manufacturer, renowned for it rich heritage in racing, it is also the world smallest V12 engine, with engine displacement rated at 1,497cc!

Ferrari 125 Sport

ferrari_125_sport_1.jpegferrari_125_sport_4.jpegferrari_125_sport_8.jpegferrari_125_sport_2.jpegferrari_125_sport.jpegferrari_125_sport_4.jpgautowp.ru_ferrari_125_sport_1.jpgautowp.ru_ferrari_125_sport_6.jpg

In the early 1920s a young Enzo Ferrari entered the racing world as a moderately successful driver, it was not until the end of the decade when formed his own racing team, 'Scuderia Ferrari', that he made a lasting mark.

Ferrari understood that the demand for the exotic cars he proposed to construct would not be very high in a world preoccupied with reconstruction. He gave his new found designer, Gioachino Colombo, the difficult brief of designing a drivetrain and chassis that was versatile enough to attract a broad audience.

In 1946 the engineer drew up a straightforward tubular frame and a 60 degree V12 engine not dissimilar to his last projects at Alfa Romeo. A displacement of 1.5 litre was chosen, which in Naturally Aspirated form could power a sports racer and equipped with a Supercharger met the Grand Prix regulations. As per Enzo's request a five speed gearbox completed the package at a time when four speeds were the norm.

Rejoining Alfa Romeo, Colombo did not stay long enough for the designs to materialize and Ferrari was on the lookout again for a new chief engineer. In the meantime draughtsmen turned the designs into usable drawings and the first engine parts were cast halfway through 1946. Construction of the chassis frames was outsourced to Gilco, who completed two similar frames in September of 1946. A month later Aurelio Lampredi joined the engineering team to help develop the engines, which suffered from various teething problems. In November Enzo Ferrari officially announced a range of three production cars all sharing the 1.5 litre V12 engine. It was referred to as the '125', as a reference to the unitary displacement; a naming policy that was to be used for many decades to come.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

Anyone can recall a special feature of this Honda Prelude (and in fact the 2 consecutive generations after it still have the feature)?

autowp.ru_honda_prelude_2.0_xx_1.jpegautowp.ru_honda_prelude_2.0_xx_3.jpeg

honda_prelude_2.jpeghonda_prelude_3.jpeg

autowp.ru_honda_prelude_sir_type-s_1.jpeautowp.ru_honda_prelude_si_4.jpeg

OK, I know some readers are still very young (maybe not even born during it era), but a quick search online will shows something special about these series of Prelude... ...

4 Wheel Steering (4WS) System

integral-steering-system-explained-20848

I shall let the video do the talking.

The system is currently still been used by a few auto manufacturers, typically in sport model, large car or SUV, but more as a cost option then standard feature. To name a few,

Audi Q7 (All Wheel Steering)

8311688_orig.jpg

BMW 5, 6 & 7 Series (Integral Active Steering)

D3-1024x706.jpg

Porsche 911 (Active Rear Steering / Rear-Axle Steering)

maxresdefault.jpg

And when I thought Honda is the 1st auto manufacturer to come up with 4WS, a few round of search revealed that the earliest car equipped with 4WS might be a SUV from Mercedes, and I am not even talking about G-Class, but rather, it predecessor (or should I say ancestor), the 1937 Mercedes-Benz Type G5.

800px-Mercedes_K%C3%BCbelwagen_G5.jpg1938_Mercedes-Benz_G5%2C_Speyer%2C_2014.1938_Mercedes_Benz_G5_pic2.JPG

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 11

Turbocharged

That stuff is always cool, Mercedes in its hayday.

That said I'm quite satisfied with my opposed system, the blades are big and get the job done, I imagine the mono system takes slightly total wipe...

In my case also, the central top part that is left unwiped I won't notice since it is blocked from view by sensor box anyway  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Anyone can recall a special feature of this Honda Prelude (and in fact the 2 consecutive generations after it still have the feature)?

autowp.ru_honda_prelude_2.0_xx_1.jpegautowp.ru_honda_prelude_2.0_xx_3.jpeg

honda_prelude_2.jpeghonda_prelude_3.jpeg

autowp.ru_honda_prelude_sir_type-s_1.jpeautowp.ru_honda_prelude_si_4.jpeg

OK, I know some readers are still very young (maybe not even born during it era), but a quick search online will shows something special about these series of Prelude... ...

4 Wheel Steering (4WS) System

integral-steering-system-explained-20848

I shall let the video do the talking.

The system is currently still been used by a few auto manufacturers, typically in sport model, large car or SUV, but more as a cost option then standard feature. To name a few,

Audi Q7 (All Wheel Steering)

8311688_orig.jpg

BMW 5, 6 & 7 Series (Integral Active Steering)

D3-1024x706.jpg

Porsche 911 (Active Rear Steering / Rear-Axle Steering)

maxresdefault.jpg

And when I thought Honda is the 1st auto manufacturer to come up with 4WS, a few round of search revealed that the earliest car equipped with 4WS might be a SUV from Mercedes, and I am not even talking about G-Class, but rather, it predecessor (or should I say ancestor), the 1937 Mercedes-Benz Type G5.

800px-Mercedes_K%C3%BCbelwagen_G5.jpg1938_Mercedes-Benz_G5%2C_Speyer%2C_2014.1938_Mercedes_Benz_G5_pic2.JPG

I remember mitsubishi also have a car with 4 wheel steering right? My dad used to drive a mitsubishi and he said it has 4 wheel steering.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I remember mitsubishi also have a car with 4 wheel steering right? My dad used to drive a mitsubishi and he said it has 4 wheel steering.

I think the 3000GT had it. Not sure what other models did.

Evolutions do have SAWC which I believe is a different sort of technology more similar to modern torque vectoring.

Twincharged

I think the 3000GT had it. Not sure what other models did.

Evolutions do have SAWC which I believe is a different sort of technology more similar to modern torque vectoring.

Not the 3000gt. Some normal looking sedan. My dad isn't really into cars so he can't even remember what car it was except that it was a mitsubishi. Lol. I rmb it was quite a fast car though.

Turbocharged

Not the 3000gt. Some normal looking sedan. My dad isn't really into cars so he can't even remember what car it was except that it was a mitsubishi. Lol. I rmb it was quite a fast car though.

Galant? The VR-4 had 4-wheel steering... seems so did at least some of the 'normal' ones.

Twincharged
(edited)

Galant? The VR-4 had 4-wheel steering... seems so did at least some of the 'normal' ones.

Probably. Look like the late 80s or early 90s model. I recognise that 2 clear bumps at the front corner of the front fender. Lol. Always wondered what those were for.

Edited by Nzy

Supercharged
(edited)

Probably. Look like the late 80s or early 90s model. I recognise that 2 clear bumps at the front corner of the front fender. Lol. Always wondered what those were for.

that's VR4

1989-mitsubishi-galant-vr4-4ws.jpg

That stuff is always cool, Mercedes in its hayday.

That said I'm quite satisfied with my opposed system, the blades are big and get the job done, I imagine the mono system takes slightly total wipe...

In my case also, the central top part that is left unwiped I won't notice since it is blocked from view by sensor box anyway [laugh]

Merc single wiper arm is riding on a gear, the gear will extend the arm at both corners and retract in the middle during the action. The wiper coverage area is bigger than a typical fan shape.

htayf83pwchhpyknfpxj.gif

Edited by Phang
  • Praise 2

autowp.ru_honda_prelude_sir_type-s_1.jpe

omg I saw one of these the other day

one uncle driving

↡ Advertisement