Speedometer tampering

wpy

4th Gear

I was wondering how prevalent the practice of tampering with car speedometers is these days. I traded in my nine year old ride to a dealer and I'm pretty sure(90%) that I saw it for sale online, but with the mileage counter adjusted downwards by almost 100k.

↡ Advertisement

TP catch speeding using Radar.

Even if adjust the speedometer to provide a false reading, they can't be sitting inside the passenger seat read the speedometer.

So not much benefit to tamper with speedometer.

Supersonic

TP catch speeding using Radar.

Even if adjust the speedometer to provide a false reading, they can't be sitting inside the passenger seat read the speedometer.

So not much benefit to tamper with speedometer.

But passenger can take photo and stomp leh  [hur]

But passenger can take photo and stomp leh [hur]

More likely to provide a false 0-100 kmh reading.

Like standard will show at 12 sec,

Tampered one show 9 secs, so post facebook very satki.

Then easier for dealer to sell the car

Supersonic

i think threadstarter is referring to Odometer and not Speedometer...LOL

Thanks Captain obvious.

I was wondering how prevalent the practice of tampering with car speedometers is these days. I traded in my nine year old ride to a dealer and I'm pretty sure(90%) that I saw it for sale online, but with the mileage counter adjusted downwards by almost 100k.

Dude it takes barely a few minutes to alter the mileage clocked especially if it is a japanese car. There are tools from China that allow you to do that. Most dealers tend to do that unless the car has been serviced at the agent from day one. But those are rare. Most people stop servicing at the agent once their warranty is up. 

Supersonic

I know someone in the car industry who can do this. He told me how Ferrari owners sometimes come to him right before an official servicing appointment to roll back their odos so a lower mileage is recorded in the AD's records. That way it's an "ironclad" fake record at time of sale.

So it's not just second hand dealers, who we already know can be unscrupulous b*stards. For ordinary car enthusiasts to even contemplate doing this is in a different league of awfulness.

For the record, I am proud when I put *more* miles on any of my cars, I would never roll them back.

• Praise 1