Car with bicycle on roof rack into Malaysia

Longhorn

Does anyone know if the height of a car + roof rack + bicycle on roof can clear the Causeway and/or Tuas 2nd Link into Malaysia? Many thanks..

↡ Advertisement

Does anyone know if the height of a car + roof rack + bicycle on roof can clear the Causeway and/or Tuas 2nd Link into Malaysia? Many thanks..

I dont think so.

SG side will not go thru liao. I think have to use lorry lane to pass thru. Car lane definitely cannot.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Should be no problem cos the CIQ complexes at both sides have very high roof. Even those tall MPV can go thru.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Should be no problem cos the CIQ complexes at both sides have very high roof. Even those tall MPV can go thru.

Not necessarily. Bike on roof of sedan would be taller than a normal MPV.

It is not the roof of the of the building that concerns me. More the arm barrier and the cameras at the immigration booths. Thanks 

Edited by Longhorn

Supercharged

Easy prey for kopi money  [laugh]

Usually if it is an used item, there should be no problem.

Not necessarily. Bike on roof of sedan would be taller than a normal MPV.

It is not the roof of the of the building that concerns me. More the arm barrier and the cameras at the immigration booths. Thanks 

That I am not sure what type of barrier arm they use. If its not the straight type, it may or may not pass thru, depending on the height of the arm when it is raised up.

Or you may consider using the rear mounted bicycle rack instead.  

Yeah.. I am trying to recall what the barriers look like but cannot remember. 

But I have definitely see the roof mounted CCTVs at the immigration booths.

Just to give you an illustration, went in via tuas checkpoint in my friend's X1 with MTBs mounted on the roof racks.

As i recall, only the lane furthest in has a higher height limit for clearing us.

• Praise 1

Thx. When u say lane furthest in, I presume u are referring to the Singapore side?

Yes Singapore tuas checkpoint.

So here's the low down on clearing both ways only via 2nd link. I just did this 2 weeks ago with mountain bikes on top of a Suzuki Vitara.

From SG to MY:

On SG side, take the innermost passport booths (left or right doesn't matter) which has it's inspection cameras mounted higher than the rest. The reason is that the innermost booths are for clearing ambulances which are of a higher height. Even then, you will still have to watch carefully as it passes under the cameras if you're driving an SUV. Cars should have no issues. There is also a right angled barrier (used to be straight) that opens up after they stamp your passport, the rightmost bike's handle bars might hit it so be careful.

On MY side, no issues as of 2 weeks ago.

from MY to SG (plenty issues now):

So on the MY side, they started installing new 2.1m gantries with radar and cameras. These are new to me. Maybe they are to prepare for the new Malaysian VEP tag. But although the gantries are signposted as 2.1m high, the damn cameras and radar protrude BENEATH this effectively making clearance about 1.9m or less. We had to dismount the bikes two or three times. Pain in the ass.

On the SG side, it's still a tight squeeze due to the right angle barrier bars but we had to dismount the bikes once on the way out of customs and immigration because midway on that single narrow lane, they placed a right angle barrier that drooped! The droop was low enough to prevent the bikes from clearing. The SG customs guys allowed us to dismount and wheel the bikes out to the inspection bays to be remounted.

Note that if you're carrying mountain bikes, it's best to use fork mounted trays and either remove your seat posts or lower them (for dropper posts) for the best chance of clearing.

Note that the Touch and Go gantries on the Malaysian side all state 2.1m but the silly bar sometimes varies in height between gantries. Choose the one that looks highest or is missing the bar. And even then, get your friend to stick their head out to check as you go through. If in doubt, use the lorry and bus lanes on the left side (but there is usually a queue).

If I had to do it again, I would try to pack the bikes inside the vehicle, use a hitch mounted rack at the rear, or change my roof trays to fork mounted trays.

Good luck.

• Praise 3

thanks for your detailed reply.. could i just find out what is the height of your car + bicycles?

I'm planning to bring in a roof-mounted cargo box but unsure if it'll fit under all these gantries...

(edited)

thanks for your detailed reply.. could i just find out what is the height of your car + bicycles?

I'm planning to bring in a roof-mounted cargo box but unsure if it'll fit under all these gantries...

Sorry, I missed the notification for this message. The cargo box on a sedan should fit. Even a cargo box on a Subaru Forester should be fine as I saw the SG Landrover Club returning with stuff on their roof and they cleared all the gantries. Height of bicycles + Suzuki Vitara > 2.5m. I don't have the exact number as I didn't measure. The Vitara is 1.6m and a mountain bike can vary between 85cm and 1m tall.

Edited by Bummer

Hi all,  just to update everyone. I drive an estima with a roof box - 2.1m high. I called the ops room at Tuas checkpoint (https://www.gov.sg/sgdi/ministries/mha/departments/ica/departments/tuas) and the officer mentioned a height limit of 2m (estimated).  So, he advised me to go through the lorries (departure cargo) lane by keeping left.

I couldnt get information on the Malaysian side, though.  Does anyone have any clue?

↡ Advertisement