Open Pod

Bond38

Hi guys..just got a Jazz GD1 {M} with open pod filter.
isit true that this will lose the low rpm torque??
Thinking of changing back to original air box....

Thanks for reply. icon_wink.gif

↡ Advertisement

Technically yes. Was on open pod filter for a few years before changing to a custom air box. Open pod also sounds nicer on the high end. But you probably cant feel the difference on daily drive.

Reason i changed is coz the filter design on the open pod i got is not very good. I feel that alot of dust can go through. K&n drop in filter is much better. Cleaner for the engine.

• Praise 1

If there's no proper heat shield and its ingesting hot air, please revert to stock. U r much better off.

Hi guys..just got a Jazz GD1 {M} with open pod filter.
isit true that this will lose the low rpm torque??
Thinking of changing back to original air box....

Thanks for reply. icon_wink.gif

There are a lot of talk on this "open pod" but what I find is that a lot of ppl who lacks the common understanding of how it works and which is suitable for your car. I'm sharing what I understand and hopefully it will help you clear your doubts and have a better understanding. And not echo words other ppl say all the time.

Do take note that if you want to use any of the "open pods" it's more effective with tuning or used together with an aftermarket tuning chip.

Basically there are two types. Yeah I know, to some ppl it looks all the same. Just read what I have to say.

1) Short Ram air intake.

This type of air intake provides the shortest possible route for the air to reach the throttle body or turbo inlet.

hps_performance_short_ram_air_intakes_bl

short-Ram.jpg

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat.

My opinion: Yes. Ppl are correct. There's a....but.

Application: More suitable for turbocharged engine. Why? Regardless whether cool air or hot air enters the turbo it will be heated up....this is where the air intercooler comes into play and cools the hot air. So whether you are using a cold air intake or short ram intake it doesn't matter much.

Pros: With tuning and used with a turbocharged engine it performs well and sounds the part coz you get to hear the waste gate work. The stock airbox is a muffler that silence every noise.

Cons: Noise caused by the air moving thru the pipe works. Not suitable for NA engines as it really does suck in more engine heat.

2) Cold Air Intake or CAI

The pipe works are routed in such a way that it draws ambient air or outside the engine bay's air rather dan sucking hot air from inside the engine bay. Ppl will try to install the open pod nearer to the bottom of the car and/or as near to the front of the front bumper as possible and away from the heat. Usually has longer pipe works.

31kmKpsltlL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

41mcRAieSDL._SX355_.jpg

You will see ppl cut a hole on their front  bumper to install this type of air duct to draw ambient air.

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat. (To them these two types are no different, looks the same)

My opinion: Yeah. It does draw hot air...in Singapore's climate. Looking at the metal parts and installed inside the engine bay, cool air becomes hot air and hot air becomes hotter air.

Pros: More suited for NA engines...in cooler climate. But it also requires tuning to be effective.

Cons: Money spent but insignificant results (tuning a NA small engine does not yield much results too). Plus the air sucking noises it makes.

All these open pods are not say not good but you have to also look at how they are designed to draw air and the how it's applied. Some are specifically designed for a certain car make and engine that complements the existing stock pipe works. Some comes with a lot of heat shielding(who are we kidding? It's inside an engine bay).

Hopefully what I shared can help you understand and see which is suitable for what application. They do look the same. Of course some ppl dun believe it and prefer to keep things stock. That's alright. There's no right or wrong. Some ppl just want to do drop-in. Like I mentioned if no tuning it's no different from stock air filter. If you are using oil filters make sure you clean away the excess oil. Usually when it comes new in a box it's still wet. You won't want the oil to accumulate on your air sensors.

• Praise 6

There are a lot of talk on this "open pod" but what I find is that a lot of ppl who lacks the common understanding of how it works and which is suitable for your car. I'm sharing what I understand and hopefully it will help you clear your doubts and have a better understanding. And not echo words other ppl say all the time.

Do take note that if you want to use any of the "open pods" it's more effective with tuning or used together with an aftermarket tuning chip.

Basically there are two types. Yeah I know, to some ppl it looks all the same. Just read what I have to say.

1) Short Ram air intake.

This type of air intake provides the shortest possible route for the air to reach the throttle body or turbo inlet.

short-Ram.jpg

Application: More suitable for turbocharged engine. Why? Regardless whether cool air or hot air enters the turbo it will be heated up....this is where the air intercooler comes into play and cools the hot air. So whether you are using a cold air intake or short ram intake it doesn't matter much.

Pros: With tuning and used with a turbocharged engine it performs well and sounds the part coz you get to hear the waste gate work. The stock airbox is a muffler that silence every noise.

Cons: Noise caused by the air moving thru the pipe works. Not suitable for NA engines as it really does suck in more engine heat.

The pipe works are routed in such a way that it draws ambient air or outside the engine bay's air rather dan sucking hot air from inside the engine bay. Ppl will try to install the open pod nearer to the bottom of the car and/or as near to the front of the front bumper as possible and away from the heat. Usually has longer pipe works.

41mcRAieSDL._SX355_.jpg

You will see ppl cut a hole on their front bumper to install this type of air duct to draw ambient air.

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat. (To them these two types are no different, looks the same)

My opinion: Yeah. It does draw hot air...in Singapore's climate. Looking at the metal parts and installed inside the engine bay, cool air becomes hot air and hot air becomes hotter air.

Pros: More suited for NA engines...in cooler climate. But it also requires tuning to be effective.

Cons: Money spent but insignificant results (tuning a NA small engine does not yield much results too). Plus the air sucking noises it makes.

All these open pods are not say not good but you have to also look at how they are designed to draw air and the how it's applied. Some are specifically designed for a certain car make and engine that complements the existing stock pipe works. Some comes with a lot of heat shielding(who are we kidding? It's inside an engine bay).

Hopefully what I shared can help you understand and see which is suitable for what application. They do look the same. Of course some ppl dun believe it and prefer to keep things stock. That's alright. There's no right or wrong. Some ppl just want to do drop-in. Like I mentioned if no tuning it's no different from stock air filter. If you are using oil filters make sure you clean away the excess oil. Usually when it comes new in a box it's still wet. You won't want the oil to accumulate on your air sensors.

Many can talk about this is good for this and that type of engine. In the real automotive industry, all air fuel mixture tuning requires verification to agreed power and torque increase as per engineering requirement in relation to collateral parts.

What is your power and torque increase?

How much is the mod?

What are the collaterals?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm driving a 2013 Audi A4 1.8T B8.5 and thinking to change my air filter since I've got the car MTM-tuned and changed the exhaust system too.

What will be your recommendations? From Watwheels' advice, my car seems to be suitable for the open pod. Is that true?

If that is true, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on which workshop and what brand to get. Indicative price will be good too.

1) Short Ram air intake.

short-Ram.jpg

41mcRAieSDL._SX355_.jpg

You will see ppl cut a hole on their front  bumper to install this type of air duct to draw ambient air.

Steady lah, well done  [thumbsup]

Many can talk about this is good for this and that type of engine. In the real automotive industry, all air fuel mixture tuning requires verification to agreed power and torque increase as per engineering requirement in relation to collateral parts.

What is your power and torque increase?

How much is the mod?

What are the collaterals?

so far, water mist injection , works for turbo cars

Sorry for the OT

1-177.jpg

If you are going for an open pod intake, you will lose some low end torque, however you may gain some high end power. The intake sound for the cabin will also change.

Hope this helps! 

Detailworks

↡ Advertisement