The Oxley Road continuing Saga

Kiario

Supersonic

If the consensus from public is to gazette the respective houses.. then fair point..

But u cannot deny there is a decent more portion of ppl who want lky house preserved.. vs gct or gks..

Most Singaporeans actually don't mind it is demolished, and most hope that his wishes for the demolition to be respected. Only the minority wants it to be preserved. Should we have to serve the interests of the minority while the majority are actually in no objections of the demolition ?

If so, then all the more we should preserve GKS's house to teach Singaporeans more about the other great contributors to the development of this country, like GKS, as most Singaporeans are so ill informed in their history to think that only LKY is the only one that contributed to this nation's success. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Boycott means the lhl will go unopposed. The parliament will be just be left with only yes men agreeing with lhl side of the story.

To add on if suddenly they want to pass a tough bill and WP boycott, they might take the chance to pass it tomorrow and say see WP never bother to come to oppose.

If the consensus from public is to gazette the respective houses.. then fair point..

But u cannot deny there is a decent more portion of ppl who want lky house preserved.. vs gct or gks..

I say "decent more portion" is unsubstantiated on the house, or gct /gks and what nots.

Let's call a national referendum to vote based on the "First past the Post" principle to properly count the Yay and Nays.

My own point of view is that the public is indifferent, conditioned by previous petitions against the tear down of the Old National Library, building of MRT Tunnels through Protected Land falling on deaf ears.

But if the man himself made a mindful decision to tear it down, then we ought to give it to the man, if we feel having benefit from his work

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

If WP believe parliament is not the place but instead the courts should be place for this debate, then WP should boycott. Otherwise WP are legitimise the whole saga.

What good would "boycotting" do? It's not like they have enough numbers to stage an absence or walkout and ensure no bills can be passed. Singaporeans have basically made sure of that.

I'd rather WP stand up in parly and *say* exactly what you said - that this matter should be brought to the courts. And if the counter is that it is a national matter, tell them that the courts are supposed to be the highest law in the land, and can challenge even "gahmen" ruling.

But this new WP is probably gonna do their "cat got their tongue" routine again. Because Singaporeans, apparently, want a "non-confrontational" oppo, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Oh, what a difference an old JBJ or even a current CSJ in there would've made! As for the latter, Singaporeans made sure that wouldn't happen too.

Cue sardonic comment and meme of KJ. [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Sigh.

1. Singaporeans are intelligent, or rather when it comes to Gandalf, expect the unexpected. His place is there.

2. The opposition party, one question will sink the entire platform. They seem to only gain strength from childish propositions. A child's ability does not put food on the table or clothes over the back. Selling childish sense of fairness and equality can only get so much mileage.

The question is what does the ruling party intend to do with the previous government ministers and their family?

And that is not even about the ability to govern and manage the directors in situ.

Don't ask so many questions lah.

Singaporeans at large know this important fact. Look stupid, talk stupid, not stupid at all.

Now, for my liter of dunkel .

Yum.

Supersonic

Sigh.

1. Singaporeans are intelligent, or rather when it comes to Gandalf, expect the unexpected. His place is there.

2. The opposition party, one question will sink the entire platform. They seem to only gain strength from childish propositions. A child's ability does not put food on the table or clothes over the back. Selling childish sense of fairness and equality can only get so much mileage.

The question is what does the ruling party intend to do with the previous government ministers and their family?

And that is not even about the ability to govern and manage the directors in situ.

Don't ask so many questions lah.

Singaporeans at large know this important fact. Look stupid, talk stupid, not stupid at all.

Now, for my liter of dunkel .

Yum.

From being a hater of your style, I've become a fan. I've begun to love your cryptic posts. You're basically the eponymous Fool on the Hill from the Beatles song.

Like any court bard or jester, or like Nostradamus, you can get away with the stark and discomfiting truth as long as its well wrapped in some way. You use obfuscation like the Frenchman, others (maybe me or my other hero @Jamesc) use humour like a court jester.

Hopefully, we all get to save our respective skins and heads. [laugh]

• Praise 1

I call them doggie, I didnt call them four legged, so I dont think I will get red card [laugh][laugh]

Do not go overboard

That enough is insinuating

To all here, rules are rules

Keep the name calling at bay

@kopites think I no life ha....

Tks for alerting ne

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ok I answer myself  :XD:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/pm-lee-speaks-on-oxley-road-dispute-in-parliament-on-july-3-follow-the-straits-times-for

- Parliament sit on 11am

- mee siam mai hum start wayang act at 1230pm after question time ends

- NO LIVE TELECAST

- live update from ST 

Anyone doing live update here? @Radx?

Or any PAP doggie here willing to do live update? I can give points as well as bones for you to chew  [laugh]  [laugh]

keke... with the party whip lifted, lets see WHICH PAP MP will be raising those tough challenging questions....

place your bets please :D

Turbocharged

How about the old National Stadium, National Theatre, the old National Library? They all hold a lot of significance in Singapore's history. Why are they demolished?

LKY probably knows all these divides and unhappiness are going to happen after his death about his house and will want it to to be demolished to prevent all these monumental idolism. There are many ways to remember him and he does not want to be remembered like those great people in foreign lands where they build statues, museums, etc.

The old man wish is just want the house to be demolished and the country continues to progress without his house. Is it so hard to fulfill the last wish of one of the most respected late leader here? If we can't even respect his last wishes, then what is the point of remembering him?

LKY is giving this last test to his son to "see" how he is going to managed this [lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged

What good would "boycotting" do? It's not like they have enough numbers to stage an absence or walkout and ensure no bills can be passed. Singaporeans have basically made sure of that.

I'd rather WP stand up in parly and *say* exactly what you said - that this matter should be brought to the courts. And if the counter is that it is a national matter, tell them that the courts are supposed to be the highest law in the land, and can challenge even "gahmen" ruling.

But this new WP is probably gonna do their "cat got their tongue" routine again. Because Singaporeans, apparently, want a "non-confrontational" oppo, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Oh, what a difference an old JBJ or even a current CSJ in there would've made! As for the latter, Singaporeans made sure that wouldn't happen too.

Cue sardonic comment and meme of KJ. [rolleyes]

ask those 70% in bukit batok [laugh] [laugh]

Most Singaporeans actually don't mind it is demolished, and most hope that his wishes for the demolition to be respected. Only the minority wants it to be preserved. Should we have to serve the interests of the minority while the majority are actually in no objections of the demolition ?

If so, then all the more we should preserve GKS's house to teach Singaporeans more about the other great contributors to the development of this country, like GKS, as most Singaporeans are so ill informed in their history to think that only LKY is the only one that contributed to this nation's success.

You are missing my point... there is more ppl who want to preserve lky hse.. vs gks hse at the moment.. that's the crux.. not preserve lky hse vs demolish..

So everyone is entitled to their view..

Personally... Lky benefitted greatly from his position.. much as I wish his last wishes be respected... he himself knew it was not was not so simple as he decide what to do.. and that's that.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Do not go overboard

That enough is insinuating

To all here, rules are rules

Keep the name calling at bay

@kopites think I no life ha....

Tks for alerting ne

Radx, whats the point, you might as well ban me permanently  [sweatdrop]

I think, after so long, it really is not about simply demolish or not demolish the house. LHY himself admits that if the Govt wants to build a memorial park over it they are OK.

With the latest emails and posts, it looks like the main issue is:

LHL went behind his siblings' backs to set up the committee (betrayal of trust)

And when LHY ask for info about the committee and their intentions, they were stonewalled. Given non-answers by DPM TCH and Lawrence Wong.

Obviously as the executors of the estate they will be concerned as to why the Govt suddenly want to have a group of (non-related) people decide what to do with what is ultimately a private property, historical value or not. From what I see they only burst out with all these after the committee refused to answer their questions and keep going roundabout.

If the committee answered them properly we probably wouldn't have all these.

• Praise 10

How about the old National Stadium, National Theatre, the old National Library? They all hold a lot of significance in Singapore's history. Why are they demolished?

LKY probably knows all these divides and unhappiness are going to happen after his death about his house and will want it to to be demolished to prevent all these monumental idolism. There are many ways to remember him and he does not want to be remembered like those great people in foreign lands where they build statues, museums, etc.

The old man wish is just want the house to be demolished and the country continues to progress without his house. Is it so hard to fulfill the last wish of one of the most respected late leader here? If we can't even respect his last wishes, then what is the point of remembering him?

Besides buildings let print dollar note or coin with his picture. That way everyone in Singapore can keep his image close to their heart.
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

I think, after so long, it really is not about simply demolish or not demolish the house. LHY himself admits that if the Govt wants to build a memorial park over it they are OK.

With the latest emails and posts, it looks like the main issue is:

LHL went behind his siblings' backs to set up the committee (betrayal of trust)

And when LHY ask for info about the committee and their intentions, they were stonewalled. Given non-answers by DPM TCH and Lawrence Wong.

Obviously as the executors of the estate they will be concerned as to why the Govt suddenly want to have a group of (non-related) people decide what to do with what is ultimately a private property, historical value or not. From what I see they only burst out with all these after the committee refused to answer their questions and keep going roundabout.

If the committee answered them properly we probably wouldn't have all these.

yup... its not about history, its not about the house, read LHY LWL opening shot and its clear, its NEVER about the house or land, its the character of LHL, conflict of interest, and the system they are worried about.

Such that they are willing to show hand risk all when they can just STFU and retire very comfortably, they are no keyboard warriors and have everything to lose.

even embalm LKY in a glass case will make no use, we forget the future by dwelling on nostalgia?

if we steered towards talking about an old house instead of recognising that its about the integrity and system of govt we have, then we are doom...

• Praise 3

Supersonic

I wonder what LHY will say about this....

Censor for what? This info is public domain leh.

Just pay a few bucks to acra can see everything already.

Twincharged
(edited)

Ok I answer myself :XD:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/pm-lee-speaks-on-oxley-road-dispute-in-parliament-on-july-3-follow-the-straits-times-for

- Parliament sit on 11am

- mee siam mai hum start wayang act at 1230pm after question time ends

- NO LIVE TELECAST

- live update from ST

Anyone doing live update here? @Radx?

Or any PAP doggie here willing to do live update? I can give points as well as bones for you to chew [laugh][laugh]

post-14834-0-10378000-1499025148_thumb.png

Edited by Yewheng

What selfish political gain?

He's going to retire after next term.

You think so?....

What about minister mentor....?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5