The Oxley Road continuing Saga

Kiario

It is interesting to see how our law interprets this. You can cherry pick who you want to sue over a same statement. How then should one treat rumours and quote properly. We read many repeated statements in media even by well known personalities. Can the parties being quoted then now sue them?

↡ Advertisement

On 9/8/2019 at 8:38 AM, Playtime said:

What if...

The logic is that already established the "truth,  the plain truth,  and nothing but the truth" during parliament dramedy,  and confirmed by all the needed MPs.

Courts are just to punish people who doubt the officially approved "truth". Parliament cannot be wrong ma.

Without proving the original article as defamatory, how to prove that subsequent re-post as defamatory?

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Without proving the original article as defamatory, how to prove that subsequent re-post as defamatory?

Are you new to Singapore?

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

He's Lhl the pm. What he said means just that. Who dares to go against him? Only hero will do that, and we all knows hero always the 1st to die in the battle. So don't be a hero. 

Edited by Yewheng

3 hours ago, Davidtch said:

Well.. it's gonna take some legal gymnastics. But we got teleportation before..

What if the case is

1) what was declared and supported in parliament is "sacred" and beyond challenge. 

2) anything that deviates from what was declared in parliament is thus wrong and defamatory in nature. 

3) what anyone actually say doesn't matter, no need to debunk or quote source.  As long DIFFERENT from said in parliament,  enough for conviction. 

🤔

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Yewheng said:

He's Lhl the pm. What he said means just that. Who dares to go against him? Only hero will do that, and we all knows hero always the 1st to die in the battle. So don't be a hero. 

You make him sound like XJP

It's very simple actually.

If your brother calls you an idiot, it's ok.

If a stranger calls you an idiot because your brother called you an idiot, what will you do? Hantum him of course.

I think that's the layman thinking 😂😂

• Praise 3

19 minutes ago, Vid said:

It's very simple actually.

If your brother calls you an idiot, it's ok.

If a stranger calls you an idiot because your brother called you an idiot, what will you do? Hantum him of course.

I think that's the layman thinking 😂😂

Not the right analogy. 

Your brother calls you idiot, ok, let it go. 

Stranger overhears and tells others that your brother called you idiot, but stranger never called you idiot himself. 

Dors that give you the right to hantam stranger for just sharing what your brother said, without supporting the sentiment? 

• Praise 4

8 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Not the right analogy. 

Your brother calls you idiot, ok, let it go. 

Stranger overhears and tells others that your brother called you idiot, but stranger never called you idiot himself. 

Dors that give you the right to hantam stranger for just sharing what your brother said, without supporting the sentiment? 

You complicating the matter again 🤣🤣

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Really lor. Who dares to challang him? Only hero will do that.. 

Exactly....I agree..he better run road while he got the chance...otherwise kena sue until teng kor, whole family implicated....why fight a losing case? Is a foregone conclusion if I can put it...

PM's Ministers are the arbiters of truth ok...so dun pray pray...

• Praise 1

In law there is a phrase called a "chilling effect". Rather ominous overtones, but that's intended. It refers to the effect of certain laws like libel and copyright on the perceived willingness to speak freely on various matters. I guess in Singapore one can add things like POFMA and contempt of court and doxxing and what not - there are a ton of reasons why someone may not want to speak freely on anything except the most trivial ones anymore. 

This is not just hypothetical. It has basically eradicated my willingness to write freely on matters like the one pertaining to this thread. Even more seriously, there is an article on one of the non-MSM sites that mentions something highly relevant to the upcoming GE, yet I won't mention specifics because the way it's written is just asking for a libel suit, however factual (or otherwise) the article may be. 

That's the situation we find ourselves in. Someone mentioned not being a hero. I question whether exercising the constitutional right to freedom of speech (incredibly, we still have that right, apparently) really constitutes "heroism", but I don't dispute the good sense of taking a circumspect attitude rather than jumping in to comment on all these things and getting into trouble over it. The short version is: I've lost a lot of my fire (such as it was) but that also means I don't care about this country as much as I used to. How can one care about something when one no longer feels truly part of it? 

In any case, while no one should feel compelled to be a "hero" or a martyr, I think it's damn silly to keep contributing to the perpetuation of a system that constantly makes thinking people feel like they've lost ownership of their country. The last precious bulwark we have is the electoral process. That vote is precious. Don't waste it. Above all, never spoil it. Vote your conscience without fear. And don't let ridiculous IB trolls who PM you unbidden weaken your resolve to do what you will. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 10

3 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

In law there is a phrase called a "chilling effect". Rather ominous overtones, but that's intended. It refers to the effect of certain laws like libel and copyright on the perceived willingness to speak freely on various matters. I guess in Singapore one can add things like POFMA and contempt of court and doxxing and what not - there are a ton of reasons why someone may not want to speak freely on anything except the most trivial ones anymore.  

This is not just hypothetical. It has basically eradicated my willingness to write freely on matters like the one pertaining to this thread. Even more seriously, there is an article on one of the non-MSM sites that mentions something highly relevant to the upcoming GE, yet I won't mention specifics because the way it's written is just asking for a libel suit, however factual (or otherwise) the article may be. 

That's the situation we find ourselves in. Someone mentioned not being a hero. I question whether exercising the constitutional right to freedom of speech (incredibly, we still have that right, apparently) really constitutes "heroism", but I don't dispute the good sense of taking a circumspect attitude rather than jumping in to comment on all these things. The short version is: I've lost a lot of my fire (such as it was) but that also means I don't care about this country as much as I used to. How can one care about something when one no longer feels truly part of it? 

In any case, while no one should feel compelled to be a "hero" or a martyr, I think it's damn silly to keep contributing to the perpetuation of a system that constantly makes thinking people feel like they've lost ownership of their country. The last precious bulwark we have is the electoral process. That vote is precious. Don't waste it. Above all, never spoil it. Vote your conscience without fear. And don't let ridiculous IB trolls who PM you unbidden weaken your resolve to do what you will. 

I wonder how the GRC will be redrawn this time round 🤔

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

That's the situation we find ourselves in. Someone mentioned not being a hero. I question whether exercising the constitutional right to freedom of speech (incredibly, we still have that right, apparently) really constitutes "heroism", but I don't dispute the good sense of taking a circumspect attitude rather than jumping in to comment on all these things and getting into trouble over it. The short version is: I've lost a lot of my fire (such as it was) but that also means I don't care about this country as much as I used to. How can one care about something when one no longer feels truly part of it? 

well said.

i was just with a bunch of elderly folks... social occasion.

surprisingly they are into social media too and actually quite aware of the current situation of this lawsuit and the origins.

and they have veryyyy strongly worded views that surprised me... they make what lsw said very tame. i wonder if they will get sued like lsw if someone just overheard what they said 🙄 ... thats how ridiculous the current situation is.

• Praise 2