Hyundai Kona

Sdf4786k

Electric cars are still considered luxury cars... not bread and butter cars in Singapore context... actually even in the US these cars like the Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf command a premium over other models within the same category... sigh...

↡ Advertisement

yeah, EVs are in a different pricing category from normal cars, its already good that there are EV models now that are priced closer to mass market cars locally (hyundai leading in that aspect)... previously either they are not available locally or your only other option is to cough up $450k+ or more for a Tesla Model S..

also considering that LTA doesn't offer much rebates for EV cars here (no significant "green" push yet, the A1 banding $20k VES rebate is still too little), hence EV prices would tend to stay higher too... unlike in certain states in the USA and in some euro countries where they give generous EV rebates so that the prices can match cheaper cars, that's why they can sell like hotcakes there.

actually we are lucky that the govt didn't impose extra taxes on EV cars instead, since they'll lose out alot on the high tax revenue from EV owners not needing to pump petrol for the next 10 years.. :)

Edited by Coolant

Electric cars are still considered luxury cars... not bread and butter cars in Singapore context... actually even in the US these cars like the Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf command a premium over other models within the same category... sigh...

ya......so all the "go green, save the earth" are all lan Jiao way.....cow dung !

ya......so all the "go green, save the earth" are all lan Jiao way.....cow dung !

But Straits times still selling the good news leh.. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/almost-a-third-of-norways-car-sales-in-2018-were-electric-in-new-record

This type of article is also the reason why I have stopped reading their news. Is literally useless.

yeah, i heard that taxi and ride sharing companies will be deploying fleets of the kona EV long range version.. which makes sense as this model can finally achieve the required daily distance range (approx. 400+ km).

good for kmc, leading the way for mass market EV usage.

Edited by Coolant

yeah, i heard that taxi and ride sharing companies will be deploying fleets of the kona EV long range version.. which makes sense as that model can finally achieve the required daily distance range (approx. 400+ km).

good for kmc, leading the way for mass market EV usage.

Finally can put my TDVL into good use...haha.

But the boot is so small, don’t know how to put luggage.

Finally can put my TDVL into good use...haha.

But the boot is so small, donât know how to put luggage.

i guess if in specific cases whereby passengers need to go to airport with big luggage, then have to book other types of cars... majority of local trips usually don't involve large luggage anyways.

btw, the kona EV long range version uses a more powerful electric motor which generates 201 bhp and 395Nm torque.. does 0-100 in 7.6 seconds, makes it pretty quick for a taxi. :)

Edited by Coolant
  • Praise 1

i guess if in specific cases whereby passengers need to go to airport with big luggage, then have to book other types of cars... majority of local trips usually don't involve large luggage anyways.

btw, the kona EV long range version uses a more powerful electric motor which generates 201 bhp and 395Nm torque.. does 0-100 in 7.6 seconds, makes it pretty quick for a taxi. :)

Ok, signing up nao! 

oh fark.......Kona becum taxi Liao.....

nabey.....car so expensive taxi company still chut chia ah ?

then how much will the rental be ?

200 a day ?

Maybe for trial?

Anyway, CDG money many many.

Maybe for trial?

Anyway, CDG money many many.

the best is nobody rent....then all sell away.....

taxi so high power for wat?

create more accident ah ?

I am curious about all these electronic cars. If I stay in HDB, where to charge the damn car huh? Or pull extension plug all the way from my house at 20th floor

Edited by walkofwinners

SP Group claimed to build 500 electric vehicle charging points by 2020.

​my concern is how many for private car usage.

​will it be taken mostly by electric taxi?

and how much per charge?

SP Group claimed to build 500

electric vehicle charging points by 2020.

âmy concern is how many for private car usage.

âwill it be taken mostly by electric taxi?

and how much per charge?

And it's also quite inconvenient to have to wait for car to charge which will take at least an hour unless the charging point is near your house.

Petrol kiosk in out 10mins max.

And it's also quite inconvenient to have to wait for car to charge which will take at least an hour unless the charging point is near your house.

Petrol kiosk in out 10mins max.

The thing about owning an electric car is that charging habit will be different than topping up petrol.

Normally as petrol cars we would top up nearing empty.

For electric car you would plan on charging where and whenever is convenient. For example if that shopping mall you are going to has a charger, you might be having your lunch there or doing groceries while charging even though the battery might be at 30-40%.

In a way I would say there is no additional time needed on our part to wait to charge up the car since the time is well spent doing other stuff.

In fact it probably even saves you that 10mins of going to petrol kiosk [:)]

With electric cars one doesn't need to charge to full (bad for the battery anyway) but good guideline is to 80-90%. With the Kona 39kWh 80% translates to about 200km which is still plenty in Singapore context.

Then again charging time is least of the problem with prices nearing Golf GTI levels. 

• Praise 1

The thing about owning an electric car is that charging habit will be different than topping up petrol.

Normally as petrol cars we would top up nearing empty.

For electric car you would plan on charging where and whenever is convenient. For example if that shopping mall you are going to has a charger, you might be having your lunch there or doing groceries while charging even though the battery might be at 30-40%.

In a way I would say there is no additional time needed on our part to wait to charge up the car since the time is well spent doing other stuff.

In fact it probably even saves you that 10mins of going to petrol kiosk [:)]

With electric cars one doesn't need to charge to full (bad for the battery anyway) but good guideline is to 80-90%. With the Kona 39kWh 80% translates to about 200km which is still plenty in Singapore context.

Then again charging time is least of the problem with prices nearing Golf GTI levels. 

Actually it's not just the habit of topping fuel that needs to change... it's a whole mindset change... electric cars aren't meant for long distance trips... plus since charging takes so long, you have to plan your trips around your battery life, which means you will be looking to top up whenever you can, which would change your lifestyle cos then malls, and places of interest which have many charging stations will attract more customers who need the charge... there's a term for it... it's called charge anxiety... same same like for laptops... we carry charging blocks along and plug in wherever we can...